And we're back!

Main Menu

Fallen Earth MMO

Started by Tamas, September 15, 2009, 03:33:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Martinus

Quote from: Tamas on September 17, 2009, 12:16:34 PM
The FPS combat
Right, you lost me there. Can't play FPS games for more than 10 minutes without getting a horrible nausea and vertigo.

Martinus

Quote from: Tamas on September 18, 2009, 09:30:55 AM
Quote from: Jaron on September 18, 2009, 09:29:45 AM
*sprays the thread down and begins to scrub*

I'll let you folks know when I'm done scraping Tamas' premature ejaculate off these reviews.

:lol: I am sorry it is not my fault that your MMO of choice caters for the pre-teens.

Are you talking about WoW? You must be joking. WoW is the MMO with the biggest number of players who are over 30.

Tamas

Quote from: Martinus on September 27, 2009, 03:48:57 AM
Quote from: Tamas on September 18, 2009, 09:30:55 AM
Quote from: Jaron on September 18, 2009, 09:29:45 AM
*sprays the thread down and begins to scrub*

I'll let you folks know when I'm done scraping Tamas' premature ejaculate off these reviews.

:lol: I am sorry it is not my fault that your MMO of choice caters for the pre-teens.

Are you talking about WoW? You must be joking. WoW is the MMO with the biggest number of players who are over 30.

Yeah in your group-therapy gay guild maybe. :P

Dude when I have several wow-addicts (including Jaron) bitching about the unbearably low standards on general chat in the game, and the extremely low level of challenge it takes to get über gear nowadays, lemme believe them and say WoW is crap.

Crafting in this game is the best I have seen, if you would try it, you would know. But if can't deal with FPS aiming than yeah don't try it.

Martinus

I love how you seem to be equating a game's complexity and difficulty/challenge with an appeal for adults. In fact, it is usually the opposite - you are talking about a game that does not appeal to adults as such, but to late teens/early 20 single guys with too much time on their hands, who get all excited if they hear the word "shit" in a computer game, or who consider it an example of jolly good fun if they have to spend 20 minutes playing a complex minigame to sew together a t-shirt.

Most MMO-playing adults - people with jobs, housewives etc. - do not really care for this stuff. I bet most kids are "better" MMO players than adults, because they have hours to waste.

Tamas

The connection between juveline players and low difficulty is this instant gratification crap that's happening all around the gaming world except for the niche sub-markets. It's not just WoW purples being handed out like candy and then people going around like they just achieved something in their life, or the fuckin' achievments in each and every game (like Tropico 3: "OMG you built an airport how über you are!!!!! here is an achievment for it") or your auto-aim kills in console FPSes.

And lets face it: WoW is a champion of that. It was full of whiny kids during my prime time in it and that was before the first expansion.

But of course this kiddie crowd is unavoidable. In this game, pre-release the newb player channel was busy, but civil and with meaningful questions most of the time.
After the general release it got full of l33ts swearing at each other, and asking questions like "I am in town X exactly where can I buy Very Basic Product Y" I don't know maybe SPEND 2 MINUTES TO CHECK OUT THE VARIOUS VENDORS THESE ARE YOUR FIRST MOMENTS IN THE GAME!

Jaron

Actually, I would say it isn't juvenile but casual v. hard core mmo players.

The changes to WoW for example aren't because a majority of the players are teenagers and want easy stuff. It was because the majority of their player base couldn't devote 5 nights a week to raiding and so a large portion of the stuff their artists and game designers were creating were being used by a minority of the players.

So, they changed the game to make raiding more accessible. Had nothing to do with age groups and everything to do with playing time.
Winner of THE grumbler point.

Tamas

Quote from: Jaron on September 27, 2009, 05:49:25 AM
Actually, I would say it isn't juvenile but casual v. hard core mmo players.

The changes to WoW for example aren't because a majority of the players are teenagers and want easy stuff. It was because the majority of their player base couldn't devote 5 nights a week to raiding and so a large portion of the stuff their artists and game designers were creating were being used by a minority of the players.

So, they changed the game to make raiding more accessible. Had nothing to do with age groups and everything to do with playing time.

Yeah but whats the point? If everyone can get to the top with little effort, whats the point? Insta-gratification, that's what.

Jaron

It was a shift in the way objectives were measured.

Old WoW was about dungeon progression. It was quite linear like this:

Heroics->Dungeon 1->Dungeon 2->Dungeon 3->Dungeon 4

The gear progressed with the dungeons so unless you had a guild willing to carry you, you generally couldn't level to max level and hop into a guild working on dungeon 3.

Now WoW works like this:

Heroics = emblem farming (for gear)

It allows you to rather quickly gear up a new character to the minimum they'd need to be competitive in the latest released dungeon.

What measure of success there is measured now by what bosses you can kill and what achievements you can earn. In WoW at least, it used to be about what dungeons your guild could clear and your gear, now its more about achievements and special mounts. It isn't really insta gratification as 90%+ of the guilds in the world have yet to clear the hardest modes of the latest raid (Ulduar), but most guilds can clear the easiest mode of the dungeon.

Most people like it, some hate it, and those are mostly the hard core raiders of old who long for the days they were one of very few people walking around in the latest level of gear and such.

Boo hoo.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Tamas on September 27, 2009, 05:51:31 AM
Yeah but whats the point? If everyone can get to the top with little effort, whats the point? Insta-gratification, that's what.

Dude, it's still an mmo. Just because you don't have to treat it like a full time job doesn't make it "insta-gratification."
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

The Brain

Quote from: Martinus on September 27, 2009, 03:47:13 AM
Quote from: Tamas on September 17, 2009, 12:16:34 PM
The FPS combat
Right, you lost me there. Can't play FPS games for more than 10 minutes without getting a horrible nausea and vertigo.

Like me and thinking about Eastern Europe.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Tamas

QuoteThe gear progressed with the dungeons so unless you had a guild willing to carry you, you generally couldn't level to max level and hop into a guild working on dungeon 3.

Now WoW works like this:

It allows you to rather quickly gear up a new character to the minimum they'd need to be competitive in the latest released dungeon.

That is also something I don't like: why should I feel like I am in a race to max level?

But anyways, lets keep the WoW stuff to WoW threads. Every friggin' MMO thread here turns into a WoW-fan circle jerk in a matter of a few pages. Cut it.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: The Brain on September 27, 2009, 06:14:44 AM
Like me and thinking about Eastern Europe.

You have a weak constitution. :console:

Jaron

Quote from: Tamas on September 27, 2009, 06:15:56 AM
QuoteThe gear progressed with the dungeons so unless you had a guild willing to carry you, you generally couldn't level to max level and hop into a guild working on dungeon 3.

Now WoW works like this:

That is also something I don't like: why should I feel like I am in a race to max level?

But anyways, lets keep the WoW stuff to WoW threads. Every friggin' MMO thread here turns into a WoW-fan circle jerk in a matter of a few pages. Cut it.

I believe you are the one who keeps bringing up WoW.

Eddie Teach

Which he simultaneously blasts for being too hard and too easy.  :lol:

The Brain

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on September 27, 2009, 07:05:23 AM
Which he simultaneously blasts for being too hard and too easy.  :lol:

:huh: I'm too hard and too easy.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.