Missing Yale student found dead behind wall on day of her planned wedding.

Started by Syt, September 14, 2009, 11:53:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

viper37

Quote from: KRonn on March 17, 2011, 01:41:11 PM
Might have gotten a life sentence if found guilty in  a court trial. Plea bargain is a legal term for a suspect entering some type of guilty plea, rather than going through a full court trial. Often it's done in hopes of a reduced sentence.
ah, I though it was a pre-agreement with the DA in exchange for a reduced sentance.  I just failed to see how he could get worst than 44 years.  Fuck, if I was a criminal, I'd prefer the death penalty over 44 years of confinement.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Caliga

0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

DGuller

Quote from: viper37 on March 17, 2011, 02:40:08 PM
Might have gotten a life sentence if found guilty in  a court trial. Plea bargain is a legal term for a suspect entering some type of guilty plea, rather than going through a full court trial. Often it's done in hopes of a reduced sentence.
ah, I though it was a pre-agreement with the DA in exchange for a reduced sentance.  I juste failed to see how he could get worst than 44 years.  Fuck, if I was a criminal, I'd prefer the death penalty over 44 years of confinement.
:huh: That's what it is.

Barrister

ah, I though it was a pre-agreement with the DA in exchange for a reduced sentance.  I juste failed to see how he could get worst than 44 years.  Fuck, if I was a criminal, I'd prefer the death penalty over 44 years of confinement.

No way.  Prison would suck, but it's gotta beat being dead.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

viper37

Quote from: DGuller on March 17, 2011, 02:41:29 PM
But Kronn indicated is simply entered a guilty plea, no guarantee of the sentence.  What more could he get, 88 years in jail if he pled not guilty and was found guilty by a jury? 

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

viper37

Quote from: Barrister on March 17, 2011, 02:42:16 PM
No way.  Prison would suck, but it's gotta beat being dead.
Personal choice.
But as I'm not ready to do the time, I don't do the crime ;)

KRonn

Quote from: viper37 on March 17, 2011, 02:48:09 PM
Quote from: DGuller on March 17, 2011, 02:41:29 PM
But Kronn indicated is simply entered a guilty plea, no guarantee of the sentence.  What more could he get, 88 years in jail if he pled not guilty and was found guilty by a jury?
Sometimes a plea can be made to a lesser charge, getting fewer years. I guess it didn't work out well in this case. My understanding is sometimes an agreement can be made for a shorter prison term, but in this case he must still have plead guilty to a heavy crime resulting in that prison term.

Berkut

Is that 44 years without chance for parole?

Or it that 44 year, out in 20 if you keep your nose clean and promise not to murder/rape too much anymore?
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Caliga

Quote from: Caliga on September 17, 2009, 08:24:33 AM
I very much doubt it.

I think it's simpler than some people are speculating about.  The guy was a blowhard asshole, and was used to pushing the lab researchers around.  Apparently he had yelled at her about shit before and she was like "ok, sorry".  He probably decided to yell at her again that day for some minor infraction, but because she was under all the wedding stress she was like "fuck you" this time and maybe she even slapped him or something, which set him off.  He probably didn't intend to strangle her to death but maybe once he laid hands on her he couldn't control his rage and after he realized what he'd done he did his best to cover his tracks.

I can't believe this was premeditated unless the guy's IQ was like 70.  He made no effort to disguise his movements within the building prior to the killing and he had to have known that *eventually* her body would be located, especially once it started to decompose and stink.  I think he killed her in a fit of rage and probably didn't rape her or anything.

Whoops, I was wrong about the "probably didn't rape her" part. :Embarrass:

HisMajestyBOB

Really? I thought it was just murder.
Did he rape her before, while, or after he strangled her?
Three lovely Prada points for HoI2 help

DontSayBanana

Psst, guys- plea bargain is one form of waiver to a jury trial.  You can waive your right to a jury trial without expecting a reduced sentence in return- felony respondents tend not to do it so often, though, because the jury actually improves their chances. ;)

Recap: every plea bargain is a jury trial waiver- not every jury trial waiver is a plea bargain. :cheers:
Experience bij!

Barrister

It doesn't happen very often, but I love it when a defence lawyer calls me up about a deal for his client, and I go "Deal?  There is no deal here.  We have a rock solid case.  We expect your client to plead guilty to every charge he is facing, and we will seek the highist punishment we can get."   :menace:
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Caliga

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive