Missing Yale student found dead behind wall on day of her planned wedding.

Started by Syt, September 14, 2009, 11:53:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Malthus

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on September 18, 2009, 10:27:54 AM
Quote from: Malthus on September 18, 2009, 10:15:50 AM
From that article, they are making it sound like the killing really *was* all about rodent cage rage.

I guess one lesson is "when the lab tech tells you to clean up your mouse shit, you do it".  ;)

Just goes to show why motive often really isn't that important.  ;)

Not so - goes to show that cleaning up after your experiments is important.  :D
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Caliga on September 18, 2009, 07:22:10 AM
QuoteSafety Will Never Be a Guarantee
By Josh Plotnik

I never thought the death of a graduate student, whom I have never met and who lived more than a thousand miles away, would have such an effect on me personally. But the death of Yale student Annie Le this past week is one of the most unbelievable, single murders ever on a college campus and one that should make us all stop and, again, reconsider.

:lol: :lol: :lol: Nigga, puhleeze. 

QuoteMurder Draped in Ivy
Why the press can't get enough of Harvard or Yale murders.

By Jack Shafer

If you plan to be murdered and expect decent press coverage, please have the good sense to be a Harvard or Yale student or professor. America's top dailies and the cable networks will rush to the scene of the crime and sniff the vicinity for clues to your demise. They'll scrape your personal history and publish enough information to serve as a foundation for a made-for-TV movie about you.

Likewise, if you kill somebody and want the press to go all Nancy Grace on your ass, make sure your victim attends or works at Harvard or Yale. Journalists almost everywhere observe this rough rule of thumb: Three murders at a Midwestern college equal one murder at Harvard or Yale.

The press is currently demonstrating its abiding interest in Ivy League murders as it covers the killing of Yale University graduate student Annie Le, who went missing last week and was discovered on Sept. 13 hidden inside a wall in a campus building where she worked.

The New York Times, one of several Ivy League house organs, has already published five articles about Le's disappearance and murder and the apprehension of suspect Raymond Clark III. The Boston Globe has published at least six stories about the case, and the Washington Post has run at least three briefs from the Associated Press. The Times of London, published five time zones away, can't seem to sate its appetite for Annie Le news. Even the proletarian New York tabloids—the Post and the Daily News—have gone ape for the story.

The press has long thrived on Harvard and Yale murder. Earlier this year, Newsweek, the New York Times, and other publications threw themselves at the murder of Cambridge, Mass., resident Justin Cosby in a Harvard dorm. When Sinedu Tadesse killed her Harvard roommate and hanged herself in 1995, the New York Times printed at least six stories on it; The New Yorker ran long on the crime in a 1996 feature by Melanie Thernstrom. (Doubleday released her book-length account the following year.) See also the 1991 murder of Yale sophomore Christian Prince—or, for that matter, the cold-case slaying of Suzanne Jovin, a Yale senior killed off campus in 1998.* The New York Times Web site has an entire "Times Topics" page on Jovin. Times coverage of the 2001 murders of professors Half Zantrop and Suzanne Zantop also gets its own space in the "Times Topics" parking garage. (They taught at Dartmouth, which as far as I'm concerned is Harvard Lite.)

Defenders of abundant Annie Le coverage will cite special circumstances that make this killing more newsworthy than your garden-variety murder. Le was reported as missing. She was found, on the day she was to be married, in a strange place. Also, the fact that the charged suspect was a "a grunt in the rarefied world of medical research, cleaning lab animals' cages and doing custodial chores," as the New York Times puts it, has given the story town-gown legs.

But every murder is uniquely dramatic; otherwise, CSI would be set in Ivy League towns instead of Las Vegas, Miami, and New York. (Addendum: A reader points out that New York is an Ivy League town. I concede the error, but leave the joke intact.) Had the Le murder happened at, say, Oklahoma State University, you'd have to bribe the night editor of the New York Times with a case of scotch and Hasty Pudding tickets to get him to run a one-inch wire story. Hell, a Stanford murder wouldn't warrant this sort of coverage! All murders are equal; it's just that press treats Harvard and Yale murders as more equal.

I can already hear the special pleaders responding: Harvard and Yale murders deserve special coverage because those universities occupy exceptional places in our national psyche. An inordinate contingent of the American elite is educated and socialized there. Then there's the alleged bellwether effect: Harvard and Yale people will tell you more eyes look to Harvard and Yale on a regular basis than to the nation's Podunk U.'s, which makes them de facto symbols for broader university-life concerns. West Texas State's image won't dim if you get murdered there, but get murdered at Harvard or Yale and you have people all across the country worrying about campus safety. And don't forget the "even at Harvard?" effect: These schools have the reputation for being some of the country's most exclusive ivory towers. Grisly crime stands in disconcerting relief against their vaunted reputations—and the resulting cognitive dissonance has news weight. By this logic, anything out of the ordinary that happens at Harvard or Yale—from a murder to the arrest of one of its scholars for disorderly conduct—is "newsworthy." At Slate, no Harvard or Yale story proposal will ever be laughed out of a story meeting, no matter how mundane.

The elite press and the tabloid press (in which I include cable populists such as Greta Van Susteren) approach Ivy murder from different angles.* Members of the elite press identify with Harvard and Yale—even if they didn't go there. They may work for someone who went, or wish they'd gone, or hope their children go. The same applies to many Times readers, pre-selling the story on both the supply and demand sides. The murder-happy tabloid press, on the other hand, has always taken special joy in showcasing the pain of the high-and-mighty.

The gap between elite and tabloid narrows every time bad things happen to privileged people. The difference is that tabloids never stop to justify or explain their prurient interest. If this how-the-mighty-fall stuff is your sort of story—and I'm thinking it is, since you've read to the end of this piece—don't bother with the Times. The emotional ride you seek is hawking tickets right now at the Daily News and Post.

Caliga

0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

garbon

Quote from: garbon on September 18, 2009, 12:14:53 AM
While I have the cell numbers of many co-workers, there's only one that I've ever texted and that was because we are friends outside of work.  Otherwise, I limit contact to phone calls.  I would say, from my short time in England, it seemed as though people were more likely to text than call one another (in the college set).

My co-worker made me text her this weekend to let her know when I was finished with the report! :o
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

KRonn

From that article, they are making it sound like the killing really *was* all about rodent cage rage.

I guess one lesson is "when the lab tech tells you to clean up your mouse shit, you do it".  ;)
This guy being such a difficult person, control freak, and what ever else reported by the lab workers, I have to be a bit surprised that he wasn't fired from the job. He wasn't a student, but some kind of care taker. And he had issues, like being hyper sensitive over dirty cages, which may not have been all that dirty except to him.

That said, there had to be other reasons besides dirty cages for him to kill. He may have made advances on the woman, he had been in an Asian club, might have had some fixation with her. And took out his frustrations over her directed at  the cages, to some extent.

Caliga

Quote from: KRonn on September 21, 2009, 02:14:53 PM

This guy being such a difficult person, control freak, and what ever else reported by the lab workers, I have to be a bit surprised that he wasn't fired from the job. He wasn't a student, but some kind of care taker. And he had issues, like being hyper sensitive over dirty cages, which may not have been all that dirty except to him.
Union.

Malthus

Quote from: garbon on September 21, 2009, 12:12:33 PM
Quote from: garbon on September 18, 2009, 12:14:53 AM
While I have the cell numbers of many co-workers, there's only one that I've ever texted and that was because we are friends outside of work.  Otherwise, I limit contact to phone calls.  I would say, from my short time in England, it seemed as though people were more likely to text than call one another (in the college set).

My co-worker made me text her this weekend to let her know when I was finished with the report! :o

If your body is found stuffed behind a wall, we'll draw the attention of the police to this post.  :)
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

DGuller

Quote from: Malthus on September 21, 2009, 02:27:42 PM
If your body is found stuffed behind a wall, we'll draw the attention of the police to this post.  :)
I would advise against it.  I'm sure police officers see a lot of stuff on their day job, but nothing can prepare you for Languish.

garbon

Quote from: Malthus on September 21, 2009, 02:27:42 PM

Thanks for always having my back.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Barrister

That said, there had to be other reasons besides dirty cages for him to kill. He may have made advances on the woman, he had been in an Asian club, might have had some fixation with her. And took out his frustrations over her directed at  the cages, to some extent.

No, there doesn't need to be other reasons.  Something I'm constantly reminded of in looking at my files is that people do some really inexplicable stuff for completely bizarre reasons.   :huh:
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Caliga

Quote from: Barrister on September 21, 2009, 03:18:56 PM
No, there doesn't need to be other reasons.  Something I'm constantly reminded of in looking at my files is that people do some really inexplicable stuff for completely bizarre reasons.   :huh:
Agree.  People want this to have a Hollywood plot... but it just doesn't.

CountDeMoney

Or, like so many over-educated high-maintenance Asian chicks, she was incredibly bitchy and probably never shut her fucking mouth.  Ever.

Caliga

Yeah, I had a workstudy student who looked almost exactly like her (except, as she was Chinese, she had paler skin) and had a similar biography.  Complete motormouth.  She also did that upspeak Valley Girl shit. :bleeding:

HisMajestyBOB

Quote from: Caliga on September 22, 2009, 07:24:47 AM
Yeah, I had a workstudy student who looked almost exactly like her (except, as she was Chinese, she had paler skin) and had a similar biography.  Complete motormouth.  She also did that upspeak Valley Girl shit. :bleeding:

?
Three lovely Prada points for HoI2 help

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive