Missing Yale student found dead behind wall on day of her planned wedding.

Started by Syt, September 14, 2009, 11:53:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syt

Annie Marie Le: Body Found Behind Wall on Planned Wedding Day

QuoteBody Found May Be Remains of Missing Yale Student
Just a day after the FBI unequivocally denied a body had been found, remains of a small female believed to be missing Yale student Annie Marie Le were found inside the wall of a lab building in the Yale medical complex where she was last seen. The body was found around 5 p.m. Sunday. Annie Marie Le, a Yale pharmacology doctoral student, had been last seen Tuesday entering the building in which she was found. A surveillance camera had captured her image going into the lab building but she had not been observed leaving the facility, although authorities had been poring over 75 cameras-worth of video footage.

"We assume it is Annie Le," New Haven Police Assistant Police Chief Peter Reichard said at a short press conference. Police are now treating the case as a homicide, although tests have not yet determined whether or not the body found was indeed that of the missing Yale student.

Annie Marie Le was to have been married Sunday.

FBI and local authorities, fully equipped with hazmat suits, were scouring a local landfill Saturday and Sunday where trash is converted into electricity to determine whether or not Annie Le had left the lab building via a refuse container. But blueprints had been ordered for the building, those in charge of the searching there wanting to ensure that every possible room or space was properly searched.

Reichard stated that investigators have a good deal of physical evidence to go through but would not give details.

The New Haven Register and other reporting agencies claimed a source that said bloody clothing had been removed from the building Saturday but the FBI refused to confirm the claim. An unidentified male seen speaking to FBI agents outside the lab building who got into the passenger side of an unmarked vehicle before it drove away has yet to be identified as well. The FBI refuses to comment on the ongoing investigation.

At present, authorities have not released the name or names of any suspects.

Jonathan Widawsky, Annie Le's fiance, was ruled out as a suspect early in the missing Yale student's case. Widawsky began cooperating with authorities from the outset.

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Caliga

I have been following this case but hadn't posted it because I figured we had enough threads on the subject of American crime.  :cool:

It's a very interesting case, albeit extremely sad.  There is apparently some suspicion around her thesis advisor, which I think is strange because IIRC a German girl was stabbed to death at Yale about ten years ago, and the prime suspect--who was never charged with anything--was also her thesis advisor.  Since Le was a pharmacology doctoral student and the German chick was an undergrad IR major, surely it's not the same guy. :unsure:
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Jaron

Winner of THE grumbler point.

Caliga

Quote from: Jaron on September 14, 2009, 12:06:11 PM
Maybe the lab techs mistook her for a dog and did tests on her.
Apparently she was murdered in a lab area in which animal experiments were indeed conducted. :ph34r:

Syt

Quote from: Caliga on September 14, 2009, 12:07:13 PM
Apparently she was murdered in a lab area in which animal experiments were indeed conducted. :ph34r:

I'd like to solve: CdM, with the anal probe, in the lab.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

jimmy olsen

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

dps

Quote from: jimmy olsen on September 14, 2009, 01:17:29 PM
Man that's sad, I can't imagine what her fiance's feeling.  :(

You are really an unimangitive fellow, aren't you?   :rolleyes:

jimmy olsen

Quote from: dps on September 14, 2009, 01:27:25 PM
Quote from: jimmy olsen on September 14, 2009, 01:17:29 PM
Man that's sad, I can't imagine what her fiance's feeling.  :(

You are really an unimangitive fellow, aren't you?   :rolleyes:
Haven't we already had this fight?  :rolleyes:

You're deluding yourself if you think you can understand what someone feels in that situation unless it happens to you.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Jos Theelen

Quote from: Caliga on September 14, 2009, 12:07:13 PM

You mean the animals took revenge?  :o

Syt

—Stephen Jay Gould

Malthus

The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Caliga

Quote from: Malthus on September 14, 2009, 01:55:30 PM
Depends - he could be the killer.  ;)
They've been saying he isn't involved from day 1.  The fact that a) he does not have access to the building, which allegedly has tight security and b) he happened to be in NYC at the time makes him an unlikely suspect.

Syt

Quote from: Caliga on September 14, 2009, 01:59:05 PM
They've been saying he isn't involved from day 1.  The fact that a) he does not have access to the building, which allegedly has tight security and b) he happened to be in NYC at the time makes him an unlikely suspect.

He could have hired a killer, though.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Caliga

Malthus

Quote from: Caliga on September 14, 2009, 01:59:05 PM

Heh, I haven't followed the story at all, it does seem unlikely then.

I just wanted to pop Jimmy's bubble a bit.  ;)
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius