Missing Yale student found dead behind wall on day of her planned wedding.

Started by Syt, September 14, 2009, 11:53:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jaron

Yeah.

WTF is up with all the Nguyen? How the F do you even pronounce that?
Winner of THE grumbler point.

Malthus

The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Caliga

0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

dps

Quote from: Malthus on September 14, 2009, 01:55:30 PM
Quote from: jimmy olsen on September 14, 2009, 01:17:29 PM
Man that's sad, I can't imagine what her fiance's feeling.  :(

Depends - he could be the killer.  ;)

[timmy mode]  You can't imagine what it feels like to be a killer unless you're a killer yourself.  [/timmy mode]

Hmm.  BTW, where were you last Tuesday?  Failed any lie detector tests recently?

DGuller

Quote from: Admiral Yi on September 14, 2009, 06:33:42 PM
Quote from: Caliga on September 14, 2009, 04:15:03 PM
"new-YEN"
I've always heard it pronounced Nwin.
On poker programs that I watch, there are on average about 25 Nguyens in the field.  They're always prounced "win".

Admiral Yi

Quote from: DGuller on September 14, 2009, 06:35:27 PM
On poker programs that I watch, there are on average about 25 Nguyens in the field.  They're always prounced "win".
By slopes or by gringos?  I worked with a few Vietnamese and they pronounced it Nwin.

Caliga

Quote from: Admiral Yi on September 14, 2009, 06:33:42 PM
I've always heard it pronounced Nwin.
Weird.  I had a friend growing up named Chris Nguyen and he pronounced it as "new-YEN" like I posted.  I can't imagine he doesn't know how to pronounce his own name... maybe the pronunciation varies regionally?

Caliga

Quote"Serious" Suspect In Annie Le Case

by Paul Bass

Police are zeroing in on a lab tech as a possible suspect in the murder of graduate student Annie Le, according to two people familiar with the probe.

Contrary to national media reports, the suspect is not a student. The suspect is not in custody.

Le, who's 24, went missing on Tuesday. On Sunday, state cops found a body stuffed inside a wall at the Yale medical school lab building where she was last seen, at 10 Amistad St. The state medical examiner Monday afternoon positively identified the body as Annie Le, and ruled her death a homicide.

Police officials definitively denied Monday afternoon that they've centered suspicion on a Yale student in the probe — or that any student is "involved" in the case.

However, a source familiar with the investigation said the probe has zeroed in on a single "serious" suspect.

Another law enforcement source familiar with the probe identified the suspect as a lab technician who works with animal testing at Yale. That technician's campus phone number was disconnected Monday afternoon and he couldn't be reached for comment. The technician allegedly had an unrequited love interest in Annie Le, according to that source. That suggestion couldn't be independently verified Monday afternoon.

The New Haven Register's Bill Kaempffer reported that the suspect failed a polygraph test and refused to answer cops' questions, with a lawyer present.

merithyn

Quote from: Caliga on September 14, 2009, 04:15:03 PM
Quote from: Jaron on September 14, 2009, 03:59:37 PM
Yeah.

WTF is up with all the Nguyen? How the F do you even pronounce that?
"new-YEN"

:huh:

All of the Nguyen I've known have pronounced it "Nwin" more or less.
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

Admiral Yi

Caligula's guy is obviously a Cambodian trying to pass himself off.

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Caliga

Quote from: Admiral Yi on September 14, 2009, 07:18:37 PM
Caligula's guy is obviously a Cambodian trying to pass himself off.
His dad was a high ranking ARVN guy (either a colonel or a general, I forget)... maybe a class distinction?  I'm 100% sure this is how he pronounced his name--I mean it was definitely not monosyllabic like this "nwin" pronunciation seems to be.

Neil

I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

sbr

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on September 14, 2009, 07:28:01 PM
The press should leave it alone until there's an arrest.

The American media leave something alone until there is real news to report?