News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

NFL Week 1 Thread

Started by Neil, September 09, 2009, 07:03:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: sbr on September 15, 2009, 06:55:28 PM
They may get some calls that other teams don't but that isn't the sole reason for their success, they are just better than most teams, from the front office to the coach to the players.

You forgot to mention that they are better than most other teams in the stylish way they lose to the Giants in the Super Bowl.

Bills ain't got nothing on them.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

jimmy olsen

The Saints got lucky.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2009/09/15/league-decides-not-to-suspend-saints-players-for-now/
QuoteLeague decides not to suspend Saints players, for now

Posted by Mike Florio on September 15, 2009 6:18 PM ET
NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell has decided not to implement, for now, the four-game suspensions imposed last year against Saints defensive ends Will Smith and Charles Grant for using an over-the-counter supplement known as StarCaps, which unknown to the players had been spiked with a banned substance.

In a news release, the league office explained that the suspensions "will not be enforced at the present time."

"This situation presents several unique and narrow aspects that I believe call for us to put the good of the game ahead of questions of discipline," Commissioner Roger Goodell said in the release.  "Considerations of fairness, uniform application of our policies, and competitive integrity all support deferring the suspensions at this time.  I am not prepared to treat players differently when the same conduct is involved."

The problem is that Vikings defensive tackles Kevin and Pat Williams, who also used StarCaps, have managed to avoid the suspensions via the assertion of legal theories arising under Minnesota statutory law.  Though there is no current impediment to the imposition of the suspensions on Grant and Smith, the concern is that different outcomes would be realized for the same behavior.

"Our primary goal is to maintain the effectiveness and integrity of our program, which has repeatedly been recognized as among the finest in all of sports," Goodell said.  "An important part of that program has been a tradition of fairness for players and clubs, with all players knowing they are held to a common standard.   Because the Minnesota and New Orleans players committed the same violation and had their appeals resolved at the same time, I believe the appropriate step is to defer the suspensions while we pursue both our legal options and continue discussions with the NFLPA."

The Minnesota litigation involving Kevin and Pat Williams will most likely not be resolved until after the 2009 season.  If the league wins that case, then the suspensions against all players who took StarCaps undoubtedly would be imposed.

Meanwhile, the league arguably vented some frustration over today's outcome by throwing more stones at the union for fighting the suspensions in the first place.

"Now that the courts have rejected the NFLPA's improper challenge to our collectively bargained program, we hope the union will join us in ensuring that these principles of fairness and uniformity are preserved," Goodell said.  "The union's unfortunate refusal to do so thus far has created needless uncertainty for our program.  This is an important issue not only for the NFL, but for all sports and everyone who cares about the integrity of sports competition.  This is why the other professional leagues and the USADA supported us in this case. "

Bottom line?  Barring some type of a settlement that vacates the potential suspensions and closes the loophole on which the Vikings players relied, the fate of the Saints' players will be tied directly to whether the lawsuit brought by the Vikings' players prevails.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Valmy

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on September 15, 2009, 08:27:03 PM

You have to admit they did have some pizazz in their loss to the Giants...and they both totally outshone the Broncos.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

sbr

Quote from: Neil on September 15, 2009, 07:09:06 PM
Has sbr been investigated for Patriotardism?  Just asking.

You mentioned opening an inquest, but I haven't heard any more since. :)

sbr

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on September 15, 2009, 08:27:03 PM
Quote from: sbr on September 15, 2009, 06:55:28 PM
They may get some calls that other teams don't but that isn't the sole reason for their success, they are just better than most teams, from the front office to the coach to the players.

You forgot to mention that they are better than most other teams in the stylish way they lose to the Giants in the Super Bowl.

I don't really understand your point here.  Yes, they lost to a very good team on a one in a lifetime play by by two players - Manning and Tyree, which was their only loss of the year.  Should they really be ashamed of that?  They did win 3 other Super Bowls in the 6 years prior to that; that seems decent.

Valmy

Quote from: sbr on September 15, 2009, 11:26:08 PM
I don't really understand your point here.  Yes, they lost to a very good team on a one in a lifetime play by by two players - Manning and Tyree, which was their only loss of the year.  Should they really be ashamed of that?  They did win 3 other Super Bowls in the 6 years prior to that; that seems decent.

The point is he is a Giants fan and he is still gloating.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

sbr

Quote from: Valmy on September 16, 2009, 07:57:50 AM
Quote from: sbr on September 15, 2009, 11:26:08 PM

The point is he is a Giants fan and he is still gloating.

Ah, when you win one Super Bowl every 20 years you would linger over them a bit.

MadBurgerMaker

Are you sure you're not a Patriots fan sbr?

Valmy

Quote from: sbr on September 16, 2009, 09:32:47 AM
Ah, when you win one Super Bowl every 20 years you would linger over them a bit.

I know I do.

sbr

Quote from: Valmy on September 16, 2009, 09:48:48 AM
Quote from: sbr on September 16, 2009, 09:32:47 AM

I know I do.

The best part of this whole conversation is that I am an Arizona Cardinals fan; I just respect what the Patriots have done this decade.

sbr

Quote from: MadBurgerMaker on September 16, 2009, 09:36:11 AM
Are you sure you're not a Patriots fan sbr?

I didn't see this before, see above. ^^

Valmy

Quote from: sbr on September 16, 2009, 10:08:32 AM
The best part of this whole conversation is that I am an Arizona Cardinals fan; I just respect what the Patriots have done this decade.

Do you talk trash to the Eagles fans over the Cardinals glorious 1947 NFL Championship?  Because that would be awesome.  I mean sure they were the Chicago Cardinals back then but still...

Chicago Cardinals: World Champions baby!

Well ok probably the 2008 NFC title would be better.

Savonarola

Prior to last year the Lions had sold out every home game since moving to Ford Field.  Now:

Quote4,000 tickets remain for Lions' home opener

Tim Twentyman / The Detroit News
Allen Park -- The Lions say there are approximately 4,000 tickets remaining for their home opener against the Vikings on Sunday.

The Lions have until 1 p.m. Thursday to sell those tickets for the game to be shown locally on Fox. If the Lions are close to a sellout by Thursday's deadline, they could be extended a 24-hour deadline by the NFL.

The Lions did not sell out Ford Field in five of their last six games last season and were subject to local television blackout in those games.

The last team to have its home opener blacked out was Week 2 of the 2005 season when the St. Louis Rams played at the Arizona Cardinals.

It's a shame too, since this will be Favre best game this season.
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Alcibiades

Most games I saw last year Ford field looked deserted.
Wait...  What would you know about masculinity, you fucking faggot?  - Overly Autistic Neil

OTOH, if you think that a Jew actually IS poisoning the wells you should call the cops. IMHO.   - The Brain

Savonarola

Quote from: Alcibiades on September 16, 2009, 04:17:57 PM
Most games I saw last year Ford field looked deserted.

Which is also a shame since many of the greatest plays last season were made at Ford Field.  Admittedly they were all made against the Lions, but still.
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock