Is a Confederate uniform an inappropriate halloween costume?

Started by Faeelin, September 06, 2009, 11:08:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimmy olsen

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Admiral Yi

Quote from: jimmy olsen on September 07, 2009, 04:56:58 PM
Use makeup to scar half your face and go as Jonnah Hex.
Hard to drink with a tendon across your lips.

dps

Quote from: Viking on September 07, 2009, 07:44:06 AM
I suggest you ask Harry

In a way, I find that less offensive that a Confederate uniform would be.  The Nazi's were worse than the Confederates, but on the other hand, the Nazi's weren't traitors to my country, either.

Neil

Quote from: dps on September 07, 2009, 06:54:28 PM
Quote from: Viking on September 07, 2009, 07:44:06 AM
I suggest you ask Harry

In a way, I find that less offensive that a Confederate uniform would be.  The Nazi's were worse than the Confederates, but on the other hand, the Nazi's weren't traitors to my country, either.
To be fair, your country didn't really exist back then.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

KRonn

I wouldn't consider the Confederate uniform to be offensive. However, the fact that the South fought to retain slavery along with other issues it was fighting for, so the Confederacy and the South has become a lot more controversial. Along with how easily people are offended these days. But for myself, I wouldn't give anyone grief over it for just wearing the uniform at a costume party.

Valmy

I like the idea of a zombie Confederate.  That would be pretty cool.

If you wear a Confederate Uniform to express your fanboyness for the Confederacy that would not only be incredibly lame but maybe offensive as well.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Ed Anger

Speaking of Halloween, I've got to figure something out for these work parties.

If I go nerd, I could be the Joker(not the Heath Ledger homo Joker), while my wife does the Harley Quinn bit.

Or I can wear a toga and call myself Consul Biggus Dickus.

I've got a leather trench coat and can do the gestapo bit, but the jews may not care for it.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Jacob

Or you could dress up exactly as the one staff member you're planning to fire right after Hallowe'en.  You could make it an annual tradition.  It'd be good for morale.

Ed Anger

Quote from: Jacob on September 08, 2009, 11:08:16 AM
Or you could dress up exactly as the one staff member you're planning to fire right after Hallowe'en.  You could make it an annual tradition.  It'd be good for morale.

I look awful in a dress. Seriously.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

The Minsky Moment

I don't really care who wears a confederate uniform but I vote that anyone who uses the word "celt" or "celtic" to refer to any people or culture later in time than 1500 years ago be shot repeatedly at close range with a Sharp's carbine.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Malthus

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on September 08, 2009, 11:47:16 AM
I don't really care who wears a confederate uniform but I vote that anyone who uses the word "celt" or "celtic" to refer to any people or culture later in time than 1500 years ago be shot repeatedly at close range with a Sharp's carbine.

Pass the celt, eh?  ;)
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

The Brain

Quote from: Ed Anger on September 08, 2009, 10:48:55 AM
Speaking of Halloween, I've got to figure something out for these work parties.

If I go nerd, I could be the Joker(not the Heath Ledger homo Joker), while my wife does the Harley Quinn bit.

Or I can wear a toga and call myself Consul Biggus Dickus.

I've got a leather trench coat and can do the gestapo bit, but the jews may not care for it.

Mickey Mouse went as himself once in the early 80s. I found it incredibly lame and retarded. Should work for you.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Queequeg

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on September 08, 2009, 11:47:16 AM
:lol:
I meant this kind of Celt, not the fantasy type.
Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

Caliga

0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Valmy

Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."