Is a Confederate uniform an inappropriate halloween costume?

Started by Faeelin, September 06, 2009, 11:08:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Valmy

Quote from: Caliga on October 16, 2009, 08:42:34 AM
Quote from: Valmy on October 16, 2009, 08:40:34 AM
Man living in a wannabe-like-Lettow state has made Caliga a traitor.
:alberta:

Seriously though what rights exactly was the South protecting besides the right to move their slaves into the territories...which really has nothing to do with "State's Rights" since that was, you know, outside of their states.  The State's Rights thing was just empty media hype.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

DontSayBanana

Quote from: Valmy on October 16, 2009, 08:46:13 AM
Seriously though what rights exactly was the South protecting besides the right to move their slaves into the territories...which really has nothing to do with "State's Rights" since that was, you know, outside of their states.  The State's Rights thing was just empty media hype.

Basically, they were pissed that we had moved on from the Articles of Confederation and wanted to bring back the doctrine of nullification.

See: McCulloch v Maryland
Experience bij!

Caliga

I was trying to speak as TEH SOUTH in my reply to Faeelin, which was meant in jest as I think his post was.  :)
Kidding aside, we both know that the Civil War was not *actually* about states' rights.  Only Lettuce doesn't know that.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Faeelin

Quote from: DontSayBanana on October 16, 2009, 08:41:47 AM
Quote from: Faeelin on October 16, 2009, 08:36:55 AM
I dunno, the EU suggests that half the population of Imperial Center were sith of some degree under Palptatine.

:blink: That's a new one to me.  When did this come up?

Within the EU, under Palpatine's command, there was:

1) Prophets of the Dark Side
2) the Inquisitorius
3)  the Emperor's Hands
4) Palpatine's  Dark Side Elite

Ideologue

Btw, this is pretty much exactly what I was talking about. :P

I mean, yeah, I'm as big or bigger a fucking nerd than anyone here--I even think the costume idea's sorta funny, although x amalgam with y costumes aren't really my bag.  But I would endeavor not to show off my knowledge of the Star Wars extended universe in mixed company without express invitation.

Then again, are chicks in wherever you are (I thought it was Duke?) impressed with an ability to recite the biography of Grand Admiral Thrawn?  If so, I'm in the wrong place. :(
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Ideologue

Quote from: DontSayBanana on October 16, 2009, 08:50:39 AM

Basically, they were pissed that we had moved on from the Articles of Confederation and wanted to bring back the doctrine of nullification.

See: Andrew Jackson massing troops on your borders.  Feel: the fear crackle down your spine.  Experience: the wrath of a man with a taste for genocide.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Faeelin

Quote from: Ideologue on October 16, 2009, 12:17:32 PM
Then again, are chicks in wherever you are (I thought it was Duke?) impressed with an ability to recite the biography of Grand Admiral Thrawn?  If so, I'm in the wrong place. :(

Some of them are. It's a pretty geeky bunch, although at the moment I'm debating committing the unspeakable sin of going out with someone on the journal with me.

Ideologue

Quote from: Faeelin on October 16, 2009, 12:21:07 PM
Quote from: Ideologue on October 16, 2009, 12:17:32 PM

Some of them are. It's a pretty geeky bunch, although at the moment I'm debating committing the unspeakable sin of going out with someone on the journal with me.

Do it.  What's the worst that could happen? :P
Kinemalogue

Eddie Teach

Why are you trying to hijack this thread into a Civil War thread?
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Syt

Quote from: Caliga on October 16, 2009, 07:45:14 AM
Quote from: Faeelin on October 15, 2009, 10:06:24 AM
Quote from: Ed Anger on October 15, 2009, 07:25:06 AM
I actually find that funny.

"Don't be so proud of this technological terror you've constructed. The ability to lay a transcontinental railroad is insignificant next to the power of a Southern gentleman."
The problem with the Robert E. Vader concept is that Lee was commanding a rebellion, not trying to destroy one. :huh:

Go as William Tecumseh Vader, or Darth Sherman.

Obama Wan Kenobi.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Faeelin

Quote from: Ideologue on October 16, 2009, 12:30:14 PM
Do it.  What's the worst that could happen? :P

Rejection from somebody I like and work with fairly frequently?

Anyway, Obama Won Kenobi is an awesome idea, if I was black.

Caliga

Quote from: Faeelin on October 16, 2009, 12:44:22 PM
You don't need to be black.  Just go in blackface.  Nobody will be offended :)

Faeelin

Quote from: Caliga on October 16, 2009, 12:52:36 PM
Quote from: Faeelin on October 16, 2009, 12:44:22 PM
You don't need to be black.  Just go in blackface.  Nobody will be offended :)

Listen, I have no desire to get my offer for the summer revoked.

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: DontSayBanana on October 16, 2009, 08:50:39 AM

McCulloch was in 1819 and the nullifcation crisis in the 1830s.  By the 1850s, the Southern position had been effectively reversed - far from pushing for the right of states to cancel or nullify federal policy within their borders, the South sought and obtained extraordinary and unprecedented limitations on basic state powers, in the form of the various enactments relating to fugitive slave capture.  In so doing, they also created what was in effect an ad hoc national police force, with the power and authority to override state law.  And in 1857, the pro-Southern majority in the Supreme Court applied the federal constitution in such a way as to override state policy re free labor.

Thus, the events which led up to the Civil War, far from revolving around southern championing of state's rights. actually involved a frontal assault by the southern states on basic areas traditional state power and authority.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Caliga

Quote from: Faeelin on October 16, 2009, 12:56:24 PM
Listen, I have no desire to get my offer for the summer revoked.
What's your offer for the summer?  :huh: