Is a Confederate uniform an inappropriate halloween costume?

Started by Faeelin, September 06, 2009, 11:08:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Caliga

0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Valmy

Quote from: Caliga on September 09, 2009, 10:48:31 AM
Ok.  Btw the French are merely Europeans. :)

Yes.  The Celts are a cultural group not a tribal group.  The Galatians were one of many many nations from Spain to India that were Celts.

Therefore the French are indeed Europeans.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Caliga

I think when most people think of a Celt, they're not talking about Galatians.  :huh:
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Valmy

Quote from: Caliga on September 09, 2009, 11:00:02 AM
I think when most people think of a Celt, they're not talking about Galatians.  :huh:

I do.  But then I am a :nerd: .
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Razgovory

True but when most people talk about the Celts they think it's a basketball team.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Queequeg

Maybe, but they were reasonably similar across inter-Celtic lines.  I doubt even a very well educated man would be able to functionally distinguish Galatian from Gaulish (or for that matter Germans near the frontier) equipment or colors, though I suspect that the Galatians were probably a fair bit darker due to native admixture. 
Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Queequeg on September 09, 2009, 06:28:37 PM
though I suspect that the Galatians were probably a fair bit darker due to native admixture.
With whom?

Queequeg

Quote from: Admiral Yi on September 09, 2009, 06:30:21 PM
Quote from: Queequeg on September 09, 2009, 06:28:37 PM
though I suspect that the Galatians were probably a fair bit darker due to native admixture.
With whom?
Greeks and Paleo-Balkan populations. IIRC, our examples of the Galatian language show heavy linguistic influence from Greek and possibly from Paleo-Anatolian languages. 

They probably would have been fairly light skinned by Anatolian standards, though.  The Thracians were famous for being pale and having red hair, and the Thracians would have been the primary admixture I'd think. 
Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

Faeelin

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Faeelin on October 14, 2009, 02:43:28 PM
I have decided. Robert E. Lee, Sith Lord.

What?  :lol:

How are you going to mesh the two together?
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Habbaku

The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Faeelin

Quote from: jimmy olsen on October 14, 2009, 06:49:30 PM
Quote from: Faeelin on October 14, 2009, 02:43:28 PM
I have decided. Robert E. Lee, Sith Lord.

What?  :lol:

How are you going to mesh the two together?

I will use the Confederate uniform, and a white beard. I'll take a lightsaber and a flowing black cape. I will mutter ominously how I find your lack of faith in states' rights disturbing. And I will use my battle meditation to give rebel troops an advantage against the damnyankees.

Ideologue

Boy, a roomfull of people who both get that and find it funny sounds like the funnest Hallowe'en party crowd ever.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

BuddhaRhubarb

Quote from: Mr.Penguin on September 07, 2009, 06:43:53 AM
Unless you can make it into a Yosemite Sam costume (the one where Yosemite Sam guards the Mason-Dixie line, as a CS Colonel) would it be inappropriate...

This would be Awesome especially if you can do the voice.
:p