Is a Confederate uniform an inappropriate halloween costume?

Started by Faeelin, September 06, 2009, 11:08:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

saskganesh

Quote from: Tyr on September 07, 2009, 04:56:47 AM
Quote from: Lettow77 on September 07, 2009, 03:18:39 AM
The two arent the same at all, obviously. I just happen to like both, and the South has a signifigant celtic background in its roots.
Scotland doesn't even have significant celtic background in its roots let alone the U.S.
I think he's referring mostly to ulster scots, who as we know, are not pure laine celtic.
humans were created in their own image

Eddie Teach

It's Halloween for fuck's sake, anybody who takes offense needs to get over themselves.

Agree with Guller, though I'd extend that to the reenactments themselves.  :P
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

saskganesh

Quote from: Faeelin on September 06, 2009, 11:08:47 PM
So, my father was a civil war reenactor when he was younger, and still has his costume around. I'm debating wearing it to school for a Halloween party, but am worried some people will cry about it.

I went to a party dressed as a Terrorist and almost got into a fight.

I bet reaction will be, um, less explosive.

Eddie Teach

Scotland doesn't even have significant celtic background in its roots let alone the U.S.

O rly?

Besides, we have plenty of English, Welsh, and Irish blood as well.

saskganesh

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on September 07, 2009, 07:28:37 AM

O rly?

Besides, we have plenty of English, Welsh, and Irish blood as well.
probably more german in fact.

the peak period of celtic (Irish) immigration to the US begins in the 1830's-40's. significantly, the majority chose to concentrate in northern urban centres.

before the american revolution, the south received its fair share of ulster scots, who are scottish immigrants to ireland. largely presbyterian, lowland scots. "scots" of  course, is a regional dialect or sub language of old english. 

Viking

First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Faeelin

Quote from: Martinus on September 07, 2009, 02:03:00 AM
Quote from: DGuller on September 07, 2009, 12:01:51 AM
I don't think it's appropriate even for Civil War reenactments.

You're joking, right?

Eh, there's an argument that southern reenactors are acting out nostalgia for a coup by southern planters to keep millions of Americans in bondage.

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Martinus

Quote from: Faeelin on September 07, 2009, 07:45:58 AM
Quote from: Martinus on September 07, 2009, 02:03:00 AM
Quote from: DGuller on September 07, 2009, 12:01:51 AM
I don't think it's appropriate even for Civil War reenactments.

You're joking, right?

Eh, there's an argument that southern reenactors are acting out nostalgia for a coup by southern planters to keep millions of Americans in bondage.

That's a retarded argument. If Poles can stomach reenactors of WW2 battles wearing nazi uniforms, surely Americans can stomach that.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: saskganesh on September 07, 2009, 07:39:56 AM
the peak period of celtic (Irish) immigration

The Scotti were a Celtic tribe from Ireland originally and the Celtic Britons were assimilated by the Anglo-Saxons. Moreover, Ireland also had substantial Germanic additions from Viking excursions, English occupation, natural intermarriage(the islands are rather close to each other) and the like. Both populations were mongrel mixtures of Celtic and German roots. The Scots and Welsh as well as the Irish tend to play up the Celtic side to distinguish themselves from the English.

Caliga

0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Razgovory

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on September 07, 2009, 07:26:01 AM
It's Halloween for fuck's sake, anybody who takes offense needs to get over themselves.

Agree with Guller, though I'd extend that to the reenactments themselves.  :P

Says the Georgian.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Eddie Teach

Ed Anger

Sounds more interesting than all the goddamn Johnny Depp wannabes in the last couple of years at Halloween parties. I hate that fucking movie and I hate Johnny Depp.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Razgovory

Quote from: saskganesh on September 07, 2009, 07:27:15 AM
Quote from: Faeelin on September 06, 2009, 11:08:47 PM
So, my father was a civil war reenactor when he was younger, and still has his costume around. I'm debating wearing it to school for a Halloween party, but am worried some people will cry about it.

I went to a party dressed as a Terrorist and almost got into a fight.

I bet reaction will be, um, less explosive.

You, I just remember I did this once (dressed as an arab terrorist) but nobody said a thing.  Of course this was back in 1999.  It was a simpler time.  I prefer that time.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017