News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

100 movies to see before you die

Started by Valmy, March 24, 2009, 08:20:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Savonarola

In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Caliga

I wanted some damn props for using an interrobang earlier in the thread. :(
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

charliebear

I've seen 26 of them.  I didn't think I would have seen that many, as I'm not much of a movie buff.

BuddhaRhubarb

Every single one of them. some dozens of times.
:p

Scipio

90.  Most of the ones that I've missed are foreign.
What I speak out of my mouth is the truth.  It burns like fire.
-Jose Canseco

There you go, giving a fuck when it ain't your turn to give a fuck.
-Every cop, The Wire

"It is always good to be known for one's Krapp."
-John Hurt

The Larch

Quote from: Alatriste on March 25, 2009, 01:56:21 AMNational Lampoon's Animal House? If I have to watch it before I die, I'm worried about enthropy killing the Universe before I buy the farm.

For us it's neglectable, in the US it seems to be iconic. It's a matter of bias in the drafting of the list.

Oh, and around 50 here.

Ed Anger

Animal House is easy to watch. Skip any parts with Donald Sutherland and karen Allen with him and the road trip. Then it is very watchable.

Benedict Arnold

Decent list.  Also, I'm proud of my fellow Languishites for shouting down Martinus and his Groundhog Day hatred. :hug:

Savonarola

Quote from: The Larch on March 25, 2009, 05:05:19 PM
Quote from: Alatriste on March 25, 2009, 01:56:21 AMNational Lampoon's Animal House? If I have to watch it before I die, I'm worried about enthropy killing the Universe before I buy the farm.

For us it's neglectable, in the US it seems to be iconic. It's a matter of bias in the drafting of the list.

Oh, and around 50 here.

I'm surprised Animal House doesn't tranlate well to Europe; it has some of John Belushi's finest work.  Is it because the Frat House stereotypes don't apply to the European University system?
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Sheilbh

Quote from: Savonarola on March 27, 2009, 08:52:35 AM
I'm surprised Animal House doesn't tranlate well to Europe; it has some of John Belushi's finest work.  Is it because the Frat House stereotypes don't apply to the European University system?
I think so.  I'm with the Spaniards in that it's not a film I'd heard of until I came to this board.

Also John Belushi's nowhere near as famous as I think he is in the US.  I mean I think he did Saturday Night Live there for some years so he's got this history for Americans.  I, at least, only really know him from the Blues Brothers.
Let's bomb Russia!

BuddhaRhubarb

Blues Brothers & Animal House are both seminal films for a certain generation(mine) in North America (and by NA I mean US & Canada.) Sheilbh. Most Males my age have seen these films a zillion times. Like a classically trained Shakespearean actor quoting the bard.: I/We used to be able to quote any passage you asked back in tha day from these movies, Caddyshack, and other SNL related material.

There's a very sentimental attachment to many of these films felt by many people between 40 and 50 in Canda & the US.
:p

Oexmelin

Quebec excepted. No fraternities here. Never saw Animal House (never heard of it either) and discovered Blues Brothers very late. Strangely, the other National Lampoon stuff were unfrequently aired (at least I vaguely recall some of them with Chevy Chase).
Que le grand cric me croque !

Ed Anger

Quote from: Oexmelin on March 28, 2009, 02:43:08 PM
Strangely, the other National Lampoon stuff were unfrequently aired (at least I vaguely recall some of them with Chevy Chase).

For the love of god, skip European and Vegas vacation. The first one and the Christmas one are good.

Queequeg

Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."