News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

100 movies to see before you die

Started by Valmy, March 24, 2009, 08:20:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alatriste

63. As in every list of this kind, I miss some movies that IMHO should have been included, and one or two that... well, let's just say that they are controversial. National Lampoon's Animal House? If I have to watch it before I die, I'm worried about enthropy killing the Universe before I buy the farm.

And I will never understand why 'Saving Private Ryan' is so highly valued, only the very first minutes, the landing, are any good; the rest is eminently forgetable. Any 'Band of Brothers' episode, for example, is far better than SPR. And 'Band of Brothers' is a TV series...

szmik

37 and I hardly watch any movies. Oh, I have beaten Garbon  :P
Quote from: Neil on September 23, 2011, 08:41:24 AM
That's why Martinus, for all his spending on the trappings of wealth and taste, will never really have class.  He's just trying too hard to be something he isn't (an intelligent, tasteful gentleman), trying desperately to hide what he is (Polish trash with money and a severe behavioral disorder), and it shows in everything he says and does.  He's not our equal, not by a mile.

The Nickname Who Was Thursday

Quote from: Alatriste on March 25, 2009, 01:56:21 AM
63. As in every list of this kind, I miss some movies that IMHO should have been included, and one or two that... well, let's just say that they are controversial. National Lampoon's Animal House? If I have to watch it before I die, I'm worried about enthropy killing the Universe before I buy the farm.

You're worse than Hitler when he bombed Pearl Harbor. :(
The Erstwhile Eddie Teach

Sheilbh

Quote from: Brazen on March 24, 2009, 08:25:48 AM
My total's about 73. This makes me the better person.
71 :shakefist:
Let's bomb Russia!

Admiral Yi

Quote from: The Nickname Who Was Thursday on March 25, 2009, 03:05:44 AM
Amen.  Animal House definitely belongs.  Room should have been made for Caddy Shack too.

Josquius

Some are awful.
I'm not going to count. I've seen a lot of them though.

And Band a part > all the other pretentious French crap they mention.
██████
██████
██████

Alatriste

Quote from: The Nickname Who Was Thursday on March 25, 2009, 03:05:44 AM
Quote from: Alatriste on March 25, 2009, 01:56:21 AM

Hey, that was his finest moment: he was so clever most people still blame the Japanese!

Caliga

Quote from: dps on March 24, 2009, 08:36:27 PM
Only 41.   And I probably ought to see some of those again--I haven't seen some of them in more than 30 years, and even some of the ones made since then, I haven't seen since they first came out (f.e., Blue Velvet--hard to believe that it's been 23 years since it was released).

I can't believe that was on the list... it was entertaining, creepy and fucked up, but I don't know that I consider it to be a "great film".  If the list makers insist on a David Lynch film, and they probably did due to the creepy and fucked-up qualities of his films, Eraserhead would have been a better choice.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Caliga

Also, why aren't Patton and Spartacus on this list:ultra:

Valmy

Quote from: Alatriste on March 25, 2009, 05:12:41 AM
Hey, that was his finest moment: he was so clever most people still blame the Japanese!

So sad.  If only you had seen Animal House.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Valmy

Quote from: Caliga on March 25, 2009, 07:10:39 AM
Also, why aren't Patton and Spartacus on this list:ultra:

Probably because Spartacus is a mediocre movie despite the spiffy presentation of the Roman Maniples.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Valmy

Caliga

Quote from: Valmy on March 25, 2009, 08:38:20 AMProbably because Spartacus is a mediocre movie despite the spiffy presentation of the Roman Maniples.

:mad:

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive