News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Hitler vs. Stalin

Started by Martinus, September 02, 2009, 06:43:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

How do Hitler and Stalin compare, in terms of evil/being murderous bastards?

They were more or less equally evil
17 (53.1%)
Hitler was more evil than Stalin
13 (40.6%)
Stalin was more evil than Hitler
2 (6.3%)

Total Members Voted: 31

ulmont

Quote from: Valmy on September 02, 2009, 12:19:59 PM
Quote from: ulmont on September 02, 2009, 12:19:08 PM
Yes, it was ultimately Stalin.  My point is that anyone of Stalin's potential replacements would have likely done the same things.

I have my doubts about that.  They might have had similar goals but surely they would have done different specific things to attain those goals.

Specific things, yes.  The overarching points of Stalin's modernization (lots of heavy industry, screwing the kulaks) I think would have been implemented in any event.

Josephus

What happens if we were to throw Mao into the mix?
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

ulmont

Quote from: Josephus on September 02, 2009, 12:58:43 PM

Well, Mao did attempt to industrialize China and repressed the farmers, so I agree that Mao would have implemented policies similar to Stalin's if Mao had run Russia in Stalin's place.

Josephus

Quote from: ulmont on September 02, 2009, 01:01:42 PM

Well, Mao did attempt to industrialize China and repressed the farmers, so I agree that Mao would have implemented policies similar to Stalin's if Mao had run Russia in Stalin's place.

By "repressed", you mean "killed" right?
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

ulmont

Quote from: Josephus on September 02, 2009, 01:20:00 PM
Quote from: ulmont on September 02, 2009, 01:01:42 PM

By "repressed", you mean "killed" right?

I meant "repressed", since there are still quite a lot of Chinese farmers left, but obviously quite a few were killed during the process.  That word choice was really a sideshow to the main point, though.