News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Hitler vs. Stalin

Started by Martinus, September 02, 2009, 06:43:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

How do Hitler and Stalin compare, in terms of evil/being murderous bastards?

They were more or less equally evil
17 (53.1%)
Hitler was more evil than Stalin
13 (40.6%)
Stalin was more evil than Hitler
2 (6.3%)

Total Members Voted: 31

Valmy

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on September 02, 2009, 11:31:33 AM
? The Second Army got encircled and wiped out in East Prussia.

How many Soviet Armies got encircled and wiped out in 1941?

Please this is the lamest arguement ever: Stalin's decisions were awesome because, you know, Samsonov was defeated 30 years earlier.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Valmy on September 02, 2009, 11:35:36 AM
How many Soviet Armies got encircled and wiped out in 1941?

Please this is the lamest arguement ever: Stalin's decisions were awesome because, you know, Samsonov was defeated 30 years earlier.

And Rennenkampf shortly afterward. But I'm not claiming Stalin was a good c-in-c. Just that you can't blame the failings of the Russian military on him when they'd been failing for ages. He at least stuck it out and got a win.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: jimmy olsen on September 02, 2009, 11:11:56 AM
Most ridiculous lawsuit ever. :lmfao:

it depends - is truth an absolute defense to libel under Russian law?
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on September 02, 2009, 11:21:14 AM
I think in spite of the purges, the Russians were better prepared in 1941 than 1914.

High standards. 
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Valmy

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on September 02, 2009, 11:41:00 AM
And Rennenkampf shortly afterward. But I'm not claiming Stalin was a good c-in-c. Just that you can't blame the failings of the Russian military on him when they'd been failing for ages. He at least stuck it out and got a win.

I think the problems with the Russian Armies in 1914 in East Prussia came down to bad luck, supply problems, incompetent peace time generals, outdated tactics, and so forth.  These sorts of things that plagued all the Armies in 1914 and were completely understandable and the result of things no Russian officer could have forseen.  A pincer movement into East Prussia was strategically sound.  To blame that on anything peculiarly Russian is nonsense especially after they won one of the biggest battles in history decisively just next door in Galicia.

The problems the Russian Armies faced in 1941 were almost entirely Stalin's own doing and were forseen by many officers in his army even after he purged so many competent ones.  The fact he managed to save a disasterous situation does not excuse his reckless foreign policy and frankly idiotic military management that made the disaster possible.

I am, frankly, unsure how exactly the Soviet Union could have been less well prepared.  Maybe if Stalin had taken away his Army's ammunition to save money the week before or something.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Caliga

I think this line of argument is somewhat off-topic (and I checked and I think what I was thinking of was the Seige of Odessa, Valmy, not the initial campaign in Bessarabia, but anyway...)  It came about as a result of your rejection of my statement about Stalin leaving the USSR stronger than when he took it over (i.e. your post that contained "I have my doubts much of anything Stalin did was really good shit though.")

Is there any dispute that the USSR of 1953 was not stronger than the USSR of 1922?  This is not a loaded question--I seriously do not know if anyone has tried to dispute that.

The obvious followup, assuming there is no serious dispute, is: was Stalin responsible, or maybe did the USSR succeed during that interval because of Stalin, in spite of him, or neither?  That's a question that nobody can probably answer with any degree of precision but obviously there will be opinions encompassing the first two possibilities at least.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Valmy on September 02, 2009, 11:48:21 AM
I think the problems with the Russian Armies in 1914 in East Prussia came down to bad luck, supply problems, incompetent peace time generals, outdated tactics, and so forth. 

= they were unprepared.

Stalin made some strategic blunders, but he also modernized the army and the industrial base and closed the gap with Germany a bit. During Lenin & Stalin's reigns, Russia went from being a backward empire on the decline to being one of two hyperpowers in the world. Surely he deserves some of the credit.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Valmy on September 02, 2009, 11:48:21 AM
I think the problems with the Russian Armies in 1914 in East Prussia came down to bad luck, supply problems, incompetent peace time generals, outdated tactics, and so forth. 

Another problem is that they were under pressure to conduct large-scale offensive operations as soon as possible.  Ie we are comparing apples and oranges here.
--Joan Robinson

The Brain

My impression is that according to conventional moral metrics they were more or less equally evil.

The whole "Hitler was teh most evilest man ever possible" thing is not very mature and not very productive.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

ulmont

Quote from: Caliga on September 02, 2009, 11:59:02 AM
The obvious followup, assuming there is no serious dispute, is: was Stalin responsible, or maybe did the USSR succeed during that interval because of Stalin, in spite of him, or neither? 

I'm going with neither.  The portrayal of Stalin by Simon Sebag Montefiore, in Court of the Red Tsar and Young Stalin strongly suggests that, while Stalin was the most successful of his generation, that he was merely one of a long line of Russian leaders with roughly the same goals, motives, and tactics.  To put it another way, Beria could have done a reasonable Stalin impersonation.

Caliga

Quote from: The Brain on September 02, 2009, 12:07:05 PM
The whole "Hitler was teh most evilest man ever possible" thing is not very mature and not very productive.
I'm going to go further and say that it's downright dangerous.  The more Hitler is demonized and made to seem inhuman, the easier it is to overlook the possibility that "another Hitler" could arise from a seemingly ordinary, charismatic leader.

Caliga

Quote from: ulmont on September 02, 2009, 12:08:04 PMI'm going with neither.  The portrayal of Stalin by Simon Sebag Montefiore, in Court of the Red Tsar and Young Stalin strongly suggests that, while Stalin was the most successful of his generation, that he was merely one of a long line of Russian leaders with roughly the same goals, motives, and tactics.  To put it another way, Beria could have done a reasonable Stalin impersonation.
I don't disagree... but it was still ultimately Stalin in the driver's seat, yes?

Valmy

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on September 02, 2009, 12:01:26 PM
= they were unprepared.

Stalin made some strategic blunders, but he also modernized the army and the industrial base and closed the gap with Germany a bit. During Lenin & Stalin's reigns, Russia went from being a backward empire on the decline to being one of two hyperpowers in the world. Surely he deserves some of the credit.

They were unprepared only because they did not have a clairvoyant powers.  Magical powers is a pretty big demand to make of a military.

Stalin had an army the sort of which you would be expected to have in 1941 so what?  Russia was well on its way to being a hyperpower in 1914, its economic expansion every year was massive and everybody was predicting it would be a superpower someday.  The Soviet Union destroyed that from ever really happening with its heavy hand IMO.

ulmont

Quote from: Caliga on September 02, 2009, 12:10:51 PM
Quote from: ulmont on September 02, 2009, 12:08:04 PMI'm going with neither.  The portrayal of Stalin by Simon Sebag Montefiore, in Court of the Red Tsar and Young Stalin strongly suggests that, while Stalin was the most successful of his generation, that he was merely one of a long line of Russian leaders with roughly the same goals, motives, and tactics.  To put it another way, Beria could have done a reasonable Stalin impersonation.
I don't disagree... but it was still ultimately Stalin in the driver's seat, yes?

Yes, it was ultimately Stalin.  My point is that anyone of Stalin's potential replacements would have likely done the same things.

Valmy

Quote from: ulmont on September 02, 2009, 12:19:08 PM
Yes, it was ultimately Stalin.  My point is that anyone of Stalin's potential replacements would have likely done the same things.

I have my doubts about that.  They might have had similar goals but surely they would have done different specific things to attain those goals.