News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Hitler vs. Stalin

Started by Martinus, September 02, 2009, 06:43:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

How do Hitler and Stalin compare, in terms of evil/being murderous bastards?

They were more or less equally evil
17 (53.1%)
Hitler was more evil than Stalin
13 (40.6%)
Stalin was more evil than Hitler
2 (6.3%)

Total Members Voted: 31

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Caliga on September 02, 2009, 11:07:38 AM
Quote from: Valmy on September 02, 2009, 11:06:07 AM
This reminds me of that Russian guy on Paradox who told me never to come to Russia or he would kick my ass during a thread when I said bad things about Stalin.
A surprising number of Russians LOVE the guy. :blink:

He made Russia strong. :stalin:
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Josephus

Apparently I read somewhere that Stalin's grandson is suing Russia ? or something for libel to the family name.
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Caliga

Quote from: Josephus on September 02, 2009, 11:08:12 AM
Apparently I read somewhere that Stalin's grandson is suing Russia ? or something for libel to the family name.
His daughter lives in a nursing home in Milwaukee or Minneapolis or some such place.  :lol:
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Josephus

aaah...here it is...He is suing a Russian newspaper for libel.
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/europe/russia/6124564/Joseph-Stalins-grandson-sues-Russian-newspaper-over-slurs-against-dictator.html

The grandson of Joseph Stalin has begun a libel suit against one of Russia's leading liberal newspapers, accusing it of lying in an article that stated the wartime leader had killed Soviet citizens.
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Darth Wagtaros

Quote from: Caliga on September 02, 2009, 11:09:31 AM
Quote from: Josephus on September 02, 2009, 11:08:12 AM
His daughter lives in a nursing home in Milwaukee or Minneapolis or some such place.  :lol:
Once while one of his kids was serving drinks during his drinking parties in the Kremlin he asked the room at large, "I wonder who is fucking her these days?" 

Guy was a prince.  Very popular in Georgia. 

I blame the Orthodox monks who played a big role during his childhood. 
PDH!

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Josephus on September 02, 2009, 11:10:47 AM
aaah...here it is...He is suing a Russian newspaper for libel.
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/europe/russia/6124564/Joseph-Stalins-grandson-sues-Russian-newspaper-over-slurs-against-dictator.html

The grandson of Joseph Stalin has begun a libel suit against one of Russia's leading liberal newspapers, accusing it of lying in an article that stated the wartime leader had killed Soviet citizens.

Most ridiculous lawsuit ever. :lmfao:
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Caliga

You know, I really don't think Stalin would have cared if people thought he was "evil", just as long as they thought he got shit done for the USSR, which I guess there's no doubt that he did.  The ends justify the means and all that.

Valmy

Quote from: Caliga on September 02, 2009, 11:12:33 AM
You know, I really don't think Stalin would have cared if people thought he was "evil", just as long as they thought he got shit done for the USSR, which I guess there's no doubt that he did.  The ends justify the means and all that.

I have my doubts much of anything Stalin did was really good shit though.  I mean yes he beat Germany but his leadership mistakes were primarily responsible for the situation the Soviets found themselves in in 1941.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Valmy on September 02, 2009, 11:14:39 AM
I have my doubts much of anything Stalin did was really good shit though.  I mean yes he beat Germany but his leadership mistakes were primarily responsible for the situation the Soviets found themselves in in 1941.

I think in spite of the purges, the Russians were better prepared in 1941 than 1914.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Valmy

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on September 02, 2009, 11:21:14 AM
I think in spite of the purges, the Russians were better prepared in 1941 than 1914.

Then why did they win most of the opening battles in 1914 and drive to the Carpathians, while they immediately and completely collapsed in 1941?

Facts do not support your thesis.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Caliga

Quote from: Valmy on September 02, 2009, 11:22:15 AMThen why did they win most of the opening battles in 1914 and drive to the Carpathians, while they immediately and completely collapsed in 1941?

Don't forget that in 1914 their primary enemy, at least initially, was Austria.  My left nut could have single-nuttedly defeated the Austro-Hungarians.

Valmy

Quote from: Caliga on September 02, 2009, 11:23:52 AM
Don't forget that in 1914 their primary enemy, at least initially, was Austria.  My left nut could have single-nuttedly defeated the Austro-Hungarians.

Meh Romania didn't have too much trouble fighting the Red Army up until they got hung out to dry at Stalingrad and they were hardly a juggernaut.

Caliga

Quote from: Valmy on September 02, 2009, 11:25:39 AM
Meh Romania didn't have too much trouble fighting the Red Army up until they got hung out to dry at Stalingrad and they were hardly a juggernaut.
:huh:

Didn't the Germans have to send a big part of Army Group South to help the Romanians to get beyond Kishinev?  After that point it would have been a dogpile anwyay.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Valmy on September 02, 2009, 11:22:15 AM
Quote from: Peter Wiggin on September 02, 2009, 11:21:14 AM

Then why did they win most of the opening battles in 1914 and drive to the Carpathians, while they immediately and completely collapsed in 1941?

? The Second Army got encircled and wiped out in East Prussia.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Valmy

Quote from: Caliga on September 02, 2009, 11:27:11 AM
Didn't the Germans have to send a big part of Army Group South to help the Romanians to get beyond Kishinev?  After that point it would have been a dogpile anwyay.

Huh?

Anyway Stalin put his Army in exposed forward positions in fixed defenses against the advice of his best commanders, he left them without instructions as to what to do in the event of an attack, he instructed them not to respond to "provocations" without qualifying what exactly was the difference between a provocation and an attack, and he forbade them from retreating.  As a result his army was devastated in a few weeks.  Oh and this was after he had driven several nations into the Nazi camp who might otherwise had been neutral or sympathetic or colluded with Hitler for them to be destroyed.

If somehow this string of unbelievable incompetent decisions is ok because, you know, the Tsarist Army only succeeded in winning a smashing victory over the Austrians then knock yourself out.  I find that bullshit personally.