News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Canadian Politics Thread

Started by crazy canuck, September 01, 2009, 04:52:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barrister

Quote from: Josephus on September 15, 2009, 06:55:45 PM
Still think they should have gone with Trudeau Jr.

It's comments like this that show you have a disconnect with the reality of Canadian politics rivalled only by grallon. -_-
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

crazy canuck

Ok, so this all seems much ado about nothing now.

Where does that leave Iggy?

PRC

Iggy sticks around for another year.  After that he resigns as Liberal leader.  If there is an election within the next year and when he inevitablely loses, he resigns as Liberal leader at that point.

viper37

Quote from: crazy canuck on September 16, 2009, 02:06:27 PM
he stays the leader up until he loses to the Conservatives.  Then he leaves.

Or, he's elected Prime Minister at some point and we're good for another 12 years of federal-provincial squabbles.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Barrister

A few days old, but,

Harper sings the Beatles with Yo Yo Ma:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JOt2Qp0H9G8

I like it.  :)
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

BuddhaRhubarb

Quote from: viper37 on September 16, 2009, 02:21:15 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on September 16, 2009, 02:06:27 PM
he stays the leader up until he loses to the Conservatives.  Then he leaves.

Or, he's elected Prime Minister at some point and we're good for another 12 years of federal-provincial squabbles.

:yes:
:p

Josephus

Quote from: Barrister on October 06, 2009, 01:35:03 AM
A few days old, but,

Harper sings the Beatles with Yo Yo Ma:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JOt2Qp0H9G8

I like it.  :)

Any attempt to win back the artists I guess. "See, I may want to cut off funding...but I can sing!"
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Neil

Quote from: Josephus on October 06, 2009, 07:16:28 AM
Any attempt to win back the artists I guess. "See, I may want to cut off funding...but I can sing!"
The artists are irrelevant.  Those sick-brained retards are strung out between the Liberals (those who were born into money), the NDP (those who were radicalized in college) and the Greens (those who are still in college).  Harper is doing what he always does:  Trying to appeal to ordinary people.  In fact, that's what got him into trouble with the artists to begin with.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

crazy canuck

The more important story is that Iggy is sinking fast.  The Globe is running stories about where he went wrong.  the knives appear to be out before he even has a chance to fight an election and hand the Conservatives a majority.

But the question is, who else do they have who can become leader and reverse this slide?  My own view is that the answer is no one and they need to spend more time in the political wilderness without any prospect of forming government so they have time to remake themselves.

Josephus

Quote from: crazy canuck on October 06, 2009, 08:56:46 AM
The more important story is that Iggy is sinking fast.  The Globe is running stories about where he went wrong.  the knives appear to be out before he even has a chance to fight an election and hand the Conservatives a majority.

But the question is, who else do they have who can become leader and reverse this slide?  My own view is that the answer is no one and they need to spend more time in the political wilderness without any prospect of forming government so they have time to remake themselves.

Yup. I agree. In fact, Harper may regret that Iggy didn't topple his gov't. Since he'll probably never have a better chance of a majority government than he does now.

Future Liberal Leaders? Trudeau is waiting in the wings. But it won't happen yet. The Liberals can't afford another leadership convention, both financially and politically. Like you said, the Liberals are now in the wilderness the way the Cons were after Mulroney.
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

crazy canuck

Quote from: Josephus on October 06, 2009, 09:16:12 AM
Like you said, the Liberals are now in the wilderness the way the Cons were after Mulroney.

Not quite yet.  The Liberals still hold onto the thread of hope that they can bring a minority government down.  To be truly in the wilderness they need to suffer through being opposition (or the third party) with a Conservative party controlling Parliament.

BuddhaRhubarb

Quote from: crazy canuck on October 06, 2009, 10:13:47 AM
Like you said, the Liberals are now in the wilderness the way the Cons were after Mulroney.

Not quite yet.  The Liberals still hold onto the thread of hope that they can bring a minority government down.  To be truly in the wilderness they need to suffer through being opposition (or the third party) with a Conservative party controlling Parliament.

I could see them ending up as a third party. The funny part tho is that The Bloc would likely end up opposition. I don't see a "grassroots" "Liberal" party starting anytime soon either, like the various hayseed parties that raped the corpse of the PC party and started wearing their skin as a trophy.
:p

viper37

Denis Coderre.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Malthus

Quote from: BuddhaRhubarb on October 06, 2009, 11:19:28 AM
Quote from: crazy canuck on October 06, 2009, 10:13:47 AM

I could see them ending up as a third party. The funny part tho is that The Bloc would likely end up opposition. I don't see a "grassroots" "Liberal" party starting anytime soon either, like the various hayseed parties that raped the corpse of the PC party and started wearing their skin as a trophy.

:lol:

Good turn of phrase, that.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Neil

Quote from: viper37 on October 06, 2009, 12:27:17 PM
Denis Coderre.
Well, after Ignatief is gone, it will be Quebec's turn to be Liberal leader again.  I don't think Coderre can do it though.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.