Madonna booed in Bucharest for defending gypsies

Started by Capetan Mihali, August 27, 2009, 12:24:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Capetan Mihali

As she plows a path of destruction through New Europe...

QuoteMadonna booed in Bucharest for defending Gypsies

By ALINA WOLFE MURRAY (AP) – 2 hours ago

BUCHAREST, Romania — At first, fans politely applauded the Roma performers sharing a stage with Madonna. Then the pop star condemned widespread discrimination against Roma, or Gypsies — and the cheers gave way to jeers.

The sharp mood change that swept the crowd of 60,000, who had packed a park for Wednesday night's concert, underscores how prejudice against Gypsies remains deeply entrenched across Eastern Europe.

Despite long-standing efforts to stamp out rampant bias, human rights advocates say Roma probably suffer more humiliation and endure more discrimination than any other people group on the continent.

Sometimes, it can be deadly: In neighboring Hungary, six Roma have been killed and several wounded in a recent series of apparently racially motivated attacks targeting small countryside villages predominantly settled by Gypsies.

"There is generally widespread resentment against Gypsies in Eastern Europe. They have historically been the underdog," Radu Motoc, an official with the Soros Foundation Romania, said Thursday.

Roma, or Gypsies, are a nomadic ethnic group believed to have their roots in the Indian subcontinent. They live mostly in southern and eastern Europe, but hundreds of thousands have migrated west over the past few decades in search of jobs and better living conditions.

Romania has the largest number of Roma in the region. Some say the population could be as high as 2 million, although official data put it at 500,000.

Until the 19th century, Romanian Gypsies were slaves, and they've gotten a mixed response ever since: While discrimination is widespread, many East Europeans are enthusiastic about Gypsy music and dance, which they embrace as part of the region's cultural heritage.

That explains why the Roma musicians and a dancer who had briefly joined Madonna onstage got enthusiastic applause. And it also may explain why some in the crowd turned on Madonna when she paused during the two-hour show — a stop on her worldwide "Sticky and Sweet" tour — to touch on their plight.

"It has been brought to my attention ... that there is a lot of discrimination against Romanies and Gypsies in general in Eastern Europe," she said. "It made me feel very sad."

Thousands booed and jeered her.

A few cheered when she added: "We don't believe in discrimination ... we believe in freedom and equal rights for everyone." But she got more boos when she mentioned discrimination against homosexuals and others.

"I jeered her because it seemed false what she was telling us. What business does she have telling us these things?" said Ionut Dinu, 23.

Madonna did not react and carried on with her concert, held near the hulking palace of the late communist dictator Nicolae Ceausescu. Her New York-based publicist did not immediately return an e-mail message sent by The Associated Press on Thursday seeking comment.

"It's contradictory: Romanians watch Gypsy soap operas, they like Gypsy music and go to Gypsy concerts," said Damian Draghici, a Grammy Award-winning Roma musician who has performed with James Brown and Joe Cocker.

"But there has been a wave of aggression against Roma people in Italy, Hungary and Romania, which shows me something is not OK," he told the AP in an interview. "The politicians have to do something about it. People have to be educated not to be prejudiced. All people are equal, and that is the message politicians must give."

Nearly one in two of Europe's estimated 12 million Roma claimed to have suffered an act of discrimination over the past 12 months, according to a recent report by the Vienna-based EU Fundamental Rights Agency. The group says Roma face "overt discrimination" in housing, health care and education.

Many do not have official identification, which means they cannot get social benefits, are undereducated and struggle to find decent jobs.

Roma children are more likely to drop out of school than their peers from other ethnic groups. Many Romanians label Gypsies as thieves, and many are outraged by those who beg or commit petty crimes in Western Europe, believing they spoil Romania's image abroad.

In May 2007, Romanian President Traian Basescu was heard to call a Romanian journalist a "stinky Gypsy" during a conversation with his wife. Romania's anti-discrimination board criticized Basescu, who later apologized.

Human rights activists say the attacks in Hungary, which began in July 2008, may be tied to that country's economic crisis and the rising popularity of far-right vigilantes angered by a rash of petty thefts and other so-called "Gypsy crime." Last week, police arrested four suspects in a nightclub in the eastern city of Debrecen.

Bulgaria, the Czech Republic and Slovakia also have been criticized for widespread bias against Roma.

Madonna's outrage touched a nerve in Romania, but it seems doubtful it will change anything, said the Soros Foundation's Motoc.

"Madonna is a pop star. She is not an expert on interethnic relations," he said.
"The internet's completely over. [...] The internet's like MTV. At one time MTV was hip and suddenly it became outdated. Anyway, all these computers and digital gadgets are no good. They just fill your head with numbers and that can't be good for you."
-- Prince, 2010. (R.I.P.)

KRonn

What was anyone doing at a Madonna concert anyway??   :unsure:

Serves them right for going!   ;)

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

derspiess

Romanians just went up a few notches in my book.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Berkut

What is the beef against Gypsies anyway?

Tamas seems like a perfectly decent fellow.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Cecil

Quote from: Berkut on August 27, 2009, 12:51:50 PM
What is the beef against Gypsies anyway?

Tamas seems like a perfectly decent fellow.

Gypsies.......its not so much the question whats wrong with them as to wonder if there is anything right about them. They are a close second to arab suicide bombers on my list of people I dislike. That said I´m sure they get the short end of the stick repeatedly and unfairly but for some reason anyone willing to go out on a limb for them always end up kicked in the face. Funny thing I know some gypsies that are doing well but then they left their shitty culture behind and integrated into society.

Siege

Cecil, you have to be more specific.

What do the gypsies do that is so wrong?

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"

Josephus

Quote from: Cecil on August 27, 2009, 01:19:49 PMFunny thing I know some gypsies that are doing well but then they left their shitty culture behind and integrated into society.

That in a nutshell is what he's trying to say.

Gypsies are OK, once they've assimilated an no longer act, talk or look like gypsies.
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Cecil

Quote from: Josephus on August 27, 2009, 01:26:35 PM
Quote from: Cecil on August 27, 2009, 01:19:49 PMFunny thing I know some gypsies that are doing well but then they left their shitty culture behind and integrated into society.

Gypsies are OK, once they've assimilated an no longer act, talk or look like gypsies.

Why would I care how they look or talk?

DontSayBanana

Quote from: Josephus on August 27, 2009, 01:26:35 PM

Or bathe (or not) like gypsies. The infrequent bathing is particularly unhygienic and disgusting.
Experience bij!

derspiess

Quote from: Siege on August 27, 2009, 01:22:53 PM

Steal a lot of stuff & refuse to be educated/assimilated.  All of which is central to their culture.  Plus they smell really, really bad.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

citizen k

Strix

You be the Judge...

My sister works as a manager of a bar in England. Gypsies will come to town every few months. They'll come into the bar and their leader will come to her with a wad of cash and basically say this is what the gypsies are willing to pay for all the drink, food, and damages that they will do that night. The bar either accept it or not because they are going to do what they will regardless.
"I always cheer up immensely if an attack is particularly wounding because I think, well, if they attack one personally, it means they have not a single political argument left." - Margaret Thatcher

Iormlund

You know how the Asians are all about education, pushing their kids to become doctors, engineers or scientists? Well, think of the Gypsies as the antithesis to that. They will take their kids out of school, sometimes when they can barely read.
Without an education, crime is the only path for many if not most.

Barrister

None of which excuses the violence against Gypsies seen recently.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.