Utilities Take a Dim View of Solar Energy

Started by jimmy olsen, August 26, 2009, 04:07:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Valmy

Quote from: jimmy olsen on August 27, 2009, 03:47:32 PM
How'd it go from $9,000 to $134,370? :yeahright:

Because of the amount of power he was wanting?
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

citizen k

Strix

"I always cheer up immensely if an attack is particularly wounding because I think, well, if they attack one personally, it means they have not a single political argument left." - Margaret Thatcher

derspiess

Quote from: Ed Anger on August 27, 2009, 01:40:12 PM
Speaking of solar panels, anybody know of a website that gives a vague idea of the cost without having to give out info so that a salesman will call repeatedly and bug the living shit out of me?

just curious.

Just go to IKEA & buy a shitload of those $20 solar-powered desk lamps and put the solar-cell battery thingies on your roof :D

Actually the lamp is pretty cool.  I figure the one I use offsets the 3 PCs & Xbox I have running most of the day...
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Warspite

Quote from: derspiess on August 27, 2009, 04:19:04 PM
Just go to IKEA & buy a shitload of those $20 solar-powered desk lamps and put the solar-cell battery thingies on your roof :D

Actually the lamp is pretty cool.  I figure the one I use offsets the 3 PCs & Xbox I have running most of the day...

Because the time one mosts need a desk lamp is when solar rays are streaming onto one's desk  :huh:
" SIR – I must commend you on some of your recent obituaries. I was delighted to read of the deaths of Foday Sankoh (August 9th), and Uday and Qusay Hussein (July 26th). Do you take requests? "

OVO JE SRBIJA
BUDALO, OVO JE POSTA

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Savonarola

Quote from: jimmy olsen on August 27, 2009, 03:47:32 PM

How'd it go from $9,000 to $134,370? :yeahright:

$9000 per MW/Year; that's not very much energy relative to what a household would use so it ramps up a lot.

I looked at the site my own home; at today's energy prices the system would pay for itself in just 20 short years.  :pinch:
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

garbon

Quote from: Warspite on August 27, 2009, 04:27:13 PM
Because the time one mosts need a desk lamp is when solar rays are streaming onto one's desk  :huh:

I don't know about the IKEA one, but a lot of those sort of things store up energy during the day so that they can be used at night.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Admiral Yi

Electricity in the US is mostly coal-fired.  I'm not aware of much, if anything, in the way of coal subsidies.

Monoriu

Quote from: Maximus on August 27, 2009, 07:34:10 AM
Quote from: Monoriu on August 26, 2009, 10:49:19 PM
Yeah, rooftop solar panels.  When you live in a 70 floor building with 8 units on each floor, that idea sounds like a joke.
There are translucent solar panels that can be applied over windows as a tint, converting a percentage of the blocked light into electric energy. Not sure if they're on the market yet or if they're economically feasible, but iirc they convert up to 30% which is extremely efficient.

We are not allowed to do anything to our windows.  Imagine a tower 70 floors high.  If every individual owner customizes his windows, the building will look horrible. 

Monoriu

Quote from: viper37 on August 27, 2009, 08:24:12 AM
Quote from: Monoriu on August 26, 2009, 11:25:11 PM
Nah.  Before the handover of Hong Kong in 1997, there was a great fear among the population that we could potentially be drafted into the army.  Traditionally, army service is viewed very negatively in Chinese culture.  The rule is an assurance from Beijing that "no, you won't be drafted."

And it is not like they have manpower shortages anyway.  They don't even enforce conscription on the mainland because they have far more people than they need.
Like you said, they don't have manpower shortage.
If they ever do have such shortage, they will draft you ;)

Nah, their manpower needs are rapidly decreasing, as they move from human wave doctrine to high tech doctrine.  Plus, HK constitutes such a tiny portion of the nation's population that there is simply no need for our manpower.

DGuller

Quote from: Monoriu on August 27, 2009, 07:16:34 PM
If every individual owner customizes his windows, the building will look horrible.
As opposed to the marvel of architecture they look like now?

Tonitrus

Quote from: Grey Fox on August 27, 2009, 01:23:21 PM
Hydro is viable anywhere look at China.

Not everyone can tap the blood-flow of their sweat shop laborers.

Neil

Quote from: DGuller on August 27, 2009, 09:59:31 AM
Quote from: Valmy on August 27, 2009, 09:55:25 AM
So?  Fossil fuels are heavily subsidized by the government.

I think there is a federal tax credit for solar panel installation IIRC.
The point is that subsidized competition is neither fair nor constructive.
We're not in the business of being fair.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.