Utilities Take a Dim View of Solar Energy

Started by jimmy olsen, August 26, 2009, 04:07:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Maximus

Quote from: Monoriu on August 26, 2009, 10:49:19 PM
Yeah, rooftop solar panels.  When you live in a 70 floor building with 8 units on each floor, that idea sounds like a joke.
There are translucent solar panels that can be applied over windows as a tint, converting a percentage of the blocked light into electric energy. Not sure if they're on the market yet or if they're economically feasible, but iirc they convert up to 30% which is extremely efficient.

Valmy

Quote from: Tonitrus on August 26, 2009, 11:20:22 PM
Well, until a hailstorm came in and wrecked i'em all.

They are engineered to be able to resist most hail storms.

Generally the solar panels can resist anything that fails to completely destroy a roof.  A tornado could be problematic.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

viper37

Quote from: Monoriu on August 26, 2009, 11:25:11 PM
Nah.  Before the handover of Hong Kong in 1997, there was a great fear among the population that we could potentially be drafted into the army.  Traditionally, army service is viewed very negatively in Chinese culture.  The rule is an assurance from Beijing that "no, you won't be drafted."

And it is not like they have manpower shortages anyway.  They don't even enforce conscription on the mainland because they have far more people than they need.
Like you said, they don't have manpower shortage.
If they ever do have such shortage, they will draft you ;)
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

KRonn

This is wacky, isn't it? The utility companies have problems, even with such a demand item as power generation. They apparently have so far failed with the 2005 energy act, though I can't see how they could have gotten very far in such a short time with that. Now yeah, they're scrambling a bit as business threatens to move away from them, somewhat anyway. I feel it's a great idea people are able to power their own homes and businesses. Solar, windmills, and whatever new comes along. And isn't that kind of change part of what we need?

I'm just thinking also, as to what might be in any new energy policies, or cap and trade bills, to help out the util corps who certainly are a big part in lobbying for change that suits them. I generally have little anger with the util companies. These corps will be a big part of the energy future, but they have such a stranglehold now, so much control, that maybe we need at least some change like in this article. Don't want to spite ourselves though, we need the utility companies and I don't think that will change for some decades. But people shouldn't get penalized for making other choices.

DGuller

Utilities may be in a defensible position if solar panels are heavily subsidized by the government.  Are they?

Valmy

Quote from: DGuller on August 27, 2009, 09:41:44 AM
Utilities may be in a defensible position if solar panels are heavily subsidized by the government.  Are they?

So?  Fossil fuels are heavily subsidized by the government.

I think there is a federal tax credit for solar panel installation IIRC.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

DGuller

Quote from: Valmy on August 27, 2009, 09:55:25 AM
So?  Fossil fuels are heavily subsidized by the government.

I think there is a federal tax credit for solar panel installation IIRC.
The point is that subsidized competition is neither fair nor constructive.

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: DGuller on August 27, 2009, 09:59:31 AM

So argueth the regulated monopolies.  :lol:
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

garbon

I kinda like this solar ivy, although I don't know that I'd want it on my house.

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Valmy

Quote from: DGuller on August 27, 2009, 09:59:31 AM

I agree.  In fact I think that without the subsized nature of oil and coal we would have naturally moved to alternative sources long ago.  Pity we do not live in that world though.

derspiess

Quote from: Valmy on August 27, 2009, 07:45:27 AM
Generally the solar panels can resist anything that fails to completely destroy a roof.  A tornado could be problematic.

Are they dust & dirt resistant?  One guy who put solar panels on his entire roof has to go up on the roof at least once a week with a hose to clean them off.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

KRonn

Someday we'll all have small power supplies to heat/cool our homes. For now, solar or wind are probably our main choices, so we have to settle for those and their limitations. But someday, we'll have fuel cells or something else. Why not battery power that gets recharged when needed, just like hybrid cars? Run the charging motor off of stored electricity, or from outside/utility lines. That's one idea. I should patent that, since they stole my hybrid car idea.   <_<

Valmy

Quote from: derspiess on August 27, 2009, 11:33:41 AM
Are they dust & dirt resistant?  One guy who put solar panels on his entire roof has to go up on the roof at least once a week with a hose to clean them off.

Nope.  If something covers them up they lose efficiency, but that is pretty logical.

When it snows you have to knock the snow off also.

The Brain

Sure, be tied to your precious sun. When your sunny buddy quits on you the atom will still be here. Warming you and powering your appliances.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Valmy

Quote from: The Brain on August 27, 2009, 11:41:40 AM
Sure, be tied to your precious sun. When your sunny buddy quits on you the atom will still be here. Warming you and powering your appliances.

I am a big fan of the nuclear power.  If France can do it anybody should be able to.