News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

RIP Edward Kennedy

Started by Jaron, August 26, 2009, 12:32:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Razgovory

Drunk driving is.  But it's still not murder or really cowardly.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Fate

Quote from: Barrister on August 27, 2009, 03:31:27 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on August 27, 2009, 03:25:29 PM
Quote from: Barrister on August 27, 2009, 03:24:46 PM
Wow.  Raz is trying to actually defend Kennedy's actions at Chappaquiddick.  I never would have thought that possible.

Now the "he should be judged for his legislative record" line I can understand, or the "its only one mistake against a lifetime of public service", sure.  But to actually excuse his actions?

Wow.

I'm arguing that it wasn't a murder.

It was reprehensible.
Debatable.

Mary Jo certainly shares in the responsibility, although you GOPtards would like to write that all off. She knew he was drunk. She chose to get into the car. She knew the possible consequences of that poor choice. You don't jump into a cage with a polar bear and expect to come out alive.

Berkut

Quote from: Razgovory on August 27, 2009, 03:25:29 PM
Quote from: Barrister on August 27, 2009, 03:24:46 PM
Wow.  Raz is trying to actually defend Kennedy's actions at Chappaquiddick.  I never would have thought that possible.

Now the "he should be judged for his legislative record" line I can understand, or the "its only one mistake against a lifetime of public service", sure.  But to actually excuse his actions?

Wow.

I'm arguing that it wasn't a murder.

It was reprehensible.

The funny thing is that he is arguing that it wasn't murder with me, and I never said it was murder to begin with, as the quote that little Razzy responded to makes rather clear.

Now, if someone were to ask me if it WAS murder...well, that is an interesting question, but largely a legal one, and hence not really relevant to my evaluation of his humanity. I do know that there are plenty of murderers I can think of who I have more respect for than Ted Kennedy.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Razgovory

Quote from: Berkut on August 27, 2009, 03:33:10 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on August 27, 2009, 03:28:48 PM
He was also with a large group of people.  Who could prevent the man from dying.

True. But I operate under the presumption that pretty much everyone will in fact not worry about themselves when another human being is about to die, especially one they know and presumably care about. That is just a basic operating assumption I have.

So I am going to assume that Cheney is in fact a human being, until shown otherwise. Kennedy proved that he was not. Maybe Cheney would have done the same thing in the same situation, but until he does, I can only judge him on what he has done.

And while there are lots of reasons to despise Dick, his actions when he shot his buddy where pretty lame, but hardly anything approaching the level of callousness of Kennedy.

Your original assumption is faulty.  Also you never answered my question.  Are you arguing he wasn't drunk?
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Strix

Quote from: Razgovory on August 27, 2009, 03:33:25 PM

The courts would disagree. Well, at least in the case where the woman hit the guy and left him to bleed to death sticking out of her windshield in her garage.

Although I suppose you could argue drowning and bleeding to death are two different things.

"I always cheer up immensely if an attack is particularly wounding because I think, well, if they attack one personally, it means they have not a single political argument left." - Margaret Thatcher

Berkut

Quote from: Razgovory on August 27, 2009, 03:35:16 PM
Quote from: Berkut on August 27, 2009, 03:33:10 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on August 27, 2009, 03:28:48 PM
He was also with a large group of people.  Who could prevent the man from dying.

True. But I operate under the presumption that pretty much everyone will in fact not worry about themselves when another human being is about to die, especially one they know and presumably care about. That is just a basic operating assumption I have.

So I am going to assume that Cheney is in fact a human being, until shown otherwise. Kennedy proved that he was not. Maybe Cheney would have done the same thing in the same situation, but until he does, I can only judge him on what he has done.

And while there are lots of reasons to despise Dick, his actions when he shot his buddy where pretty lame, but hardly anything approaching the level of callousness of Kennedy.

Your original assumption is faulty. 

Perhaps - but that would just mean that a lot of people are scum, not that he isn't.

Also you never answered my question.  Are you arguing he wasn't drunk?

I did answer that.

I don't know, and neither do you - what I do know is that he says he wasn't drunk, and that alcohol had no impact on his decision making processes. That seems like better information than your creating this claim for him, even over his objections, in an effort to excuse him.

*You* are claiming that he was SO drunk that he could not think to call the police, but he could do all the other things he claimed to do that night, and others saw him do - like operate the car to ebgin with, return to his hotel, talk coherently to his friends, supposedly even try to rescue her himself, yet too drunk to walk to a phone and pick it up to call the police? And this level of drunkenness persisted for 8 or more hours?

That explanation would not fly even if he was proffering it - the fact that he expressly denied it make sit rather weak.

0 rows returned

Berkut

Quote from: Strix on August 27, 2009, 03:37:08 PM

The courts would disagree. Well, at least in the case where the woman hit the guy and left him to bleed to death sticking out of her windshield in her garage.

Although I suppose you could argue drowning and bleeding to death are two different things.

Was she a Democrat?

Raz won't be able to tell you if it was "murder" ore "reprehensible" till he knows that crucial detail.

0 rows returned

Fate

Quote from: Berkut on August 27, 2009, 03:41:01 PM

Was she a Democrat?

Raz won't be able to tell you if it was "murder" ore "reprehensible" till he knows that crucial detail.
Was she a dumb bitch that didn't have an ounce of sense? If you play with loaded guns...

Jaron

What are the odds Kennedy was getting road head?
Winner of THE grumbler point.

dps

Quote from: Fate on August 27, 2009, 03:44:33 PM
Quote from: Berkut on August 27, 2009, 03:41:01 PM

Was she a Democrat?

Was she a dumb bitch that didn't have an ounce of sense?

Well, she was a liberal, so probably, yeah. Still not much of an excuse to leave her to drown.

Strix

Quote from: Jaron on August 27, 2009, 03:46:32 PM
What are the odds Kennedy was getting road head?

Maybe he slipped her a Mickey Finn?
"I always cheer up immensely if an attack is particularly wounding because I think, well, if they attack one personally, it means they have not a single political argument left." - Margaret Thatcher

Razgovory

Quote from: Berkut on August 27, 2009, 03:40:05 PM

I did answer that.

I don't know, and neither do you - what I do know is that he says he wasn't drunk, and that alcohol had no impact on his decision making processes. That seems like better information than your creating this claim for him, even over his objections, in an effort to excuse him.

*You* are claiming that he was SO drunk that he could not think to call the police, but he could do all the other things he claimed to do that night, and others saw him do - like operate the car to ebgin with, return to his hotel, talk coherently to his friends, supposedly even try to rescue her himself, yet too drunk to walk to a phone and pick it up to call the police? And this level of drunkenness persisted for 8 or more hours?

That explanation would not fly even if he was proffering it - the fact that he expressly denied it make sit rather weak.

Okay, what do you think happened.

Strix

Quote from: Razgovory on August 27, 2009, 04:03:15 PM

I did answer that.

It would be much more entertaining to hear what you think happened first.

Razgovory

Quote from: Strix on August 27, 2009, 04:14:08 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on August 27, 2009, 04:03:15 PM

I did answer that.

It would be much more entertaining to hear what you think happened first.

Why?  Berkut started this by talking about the man as scum or some such.

Barrister

Quote from: Fate on August 27, 2009, 03:34:06 PM
It was reprehensible.
Debatable.

Mary Jo certainly shares in the responsibility, although you GOPtards would like to write that all off. She knew he was drunk. She chose to get into the car. She knew the possible consequences of that poor choice. You don't jump into a cage with a polar bear and expect to come out alive.

:ike:

Shoo.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.