And we're back!

Main Menu

RIP Edward Kennedy

Started by Jaron, August 26, 2009, 12:32:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Maximus

Quote from: Razgovory on August 27, 2009, 03:25:29 PM
I'm arguing that it wasn't a murder.
How could it not be murder, unless you are arguing in a strictly legal sense which is largely irrelevant at this point. He's not going to face legal charges any time soon.

He knowingly committed a felony, and in so doing caused the death of another person. I don't see how you could argue that that is not the moral equivalent of murder. All this in addition to what he did or did not do afterward.

Drunkenness is not a defense.

The Minsky Moment

In some states it is now theoretically possible to charge a drunk driver with felony murder if death results, but these kinds of cases are more typically charged as manslaughters or vehicular homicides because the state of mind is usually easier to prove.

Don't know what Mass law was like in 69 but generally speaking laws on these kinds of issues have gotten much more strict over time; I doubt a murder prosecution was even theoretically possible back then.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Maximus

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on August 28, 2009, 10:37:59 AM
In many states it is now theoretically possible to charge a drunk driver with felony murder if death results, but these kinds of cases are more typically charged as manslaughters or vehicular homicides because the state of mind is usually easier to prove.

Don't know what Mass law was like in 69 but generally speaking laws on these kinds of issues have gotten much more strict over time; I doubt a murder prosecution was even theoretically possible back then.
I agree, which is why I was not arguing in a legal sense.

Valmy

I was at the Gym last night and the cable "news" stations were all worshipping this guy like some sort of patron saint of all that noble and good about politics.

:x
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Barrister

Quote from: Fate on August 27, 2009, 06:41:00 PM
Quote from: Barrister on August 27, 2009, 06:39:19 PM
Quote from: Fate on August 27, 2009, 06:35:51 PM
The only line noise in this thread is Berkut's despicable and tasteless trolling. :mellow:

:ike:

Shoo.

If you are only going to pollute this thread with nonsense, then I ask that you please cease and desist.

RIP Ted, you were the last of the great Senators.

:ike:
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Maximus on August 28, 2009, 10:34:00 AM
How could it not be murder, unless you are arguing in a strictly legal sense which is largely irrelevant at this point. He's not going to face legal charges any time soon.

He knowingly committed a felony, and in so doing caused the death of another person. I don't see how you could argue that that is not the moral equivalent of murder. All this in addition to what he did or did not do afterward.

Drunkenness is not a defense.

You're arguing from a legal sense yourself, morally there's no such thing as a "felony."
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

KRonn

Quote from: Valmy on August 28, 2009, 10:43:52 AM
I was at the Gym last night and the cable "news" stations were all worshipping this guy like some sort of patron saint of all that noble and good about politics.

Yeah, it gets to be too much. Ceremonies, motorcades and such started yesterday, so there was probably even more coverage. But I mostly do what I usually do with uber coverage of events, celebs, etc. I change the station. At least it wasn't on 24/7 like is often done with some other events, as I seemed to have few problems finding other news.

Caliga

Be sure to only ever watch FOX News. :)
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

KRonn

Quote from: Caliga on August 28, 2009, 11:12:35 AM

Be sure to only ever watch FOX News. :)
FOX had plenty of fawning coverage also.

Caliga

0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Maximus

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on August 28, 2009, 10:54:48 AM

You're arguing from a legal sense yourself, morally there's no such thing as a "felony."
Alright, fair point. I'll amend that part to a reprehensible act, known to put others at serious risk of death and bodily harm.

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

grumbler

Quote from: Berkut on August 27, 2009, 08:47:21 AM
I am well known for my concern for dead fetuses.
Please don't feed the troll.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

jimmy olsen

Why Ted? Where does that nickname come from?
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Jaron

ITS SHORT FOR EDWARD YOU NIMROD
Winner of THE grumbler point.