And we're back!

Main Menu

RIP Edward Kennedy

Started by Jaron, August 26, 2009, 12:32:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Razgovory

Quote from: Berkut on August 27, 2009, 08:46:35 AM
Quote from: Sheilbh on August 27, 2009, 08:40:16 AM

However I do think that the thing I try to do when someone dies is to remember them not to evaluate or judge them. 

I agree with that sentiment in general, but there are limits, and Ted Kennedy is well beyond them.

The only thing more revolting is that apparently most Americans are so shallow that they are willing to ignore something as reprehensible as Chappaquidick. Yet another example of the negative power of tribalism in politics.

:lol:  Thank you "Mr. Republican".
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

citizen k

Quote from: Razgovory on August 27, 2009, 02:27:37 PM
Quote from: Berkut on August 27, 2009, 08:18:59 AM

None of that means jack in light of the fact that his moral character was revealed early on to be grossly broken. He killed some girl because he cared more about himself and his political career than he did her life.

I don't care if he turned into fucking Mother Theresa afterward. He should ahve spent the next 20 years in prison.

I thought he killed someone cause he drove off a bridge.
Did she die from the impact or by drowning?

Razgovory

Quote from: citizen k on August 27, 2009, 02:38:51 PM

None of that means jack in light of the fact that his moral character was revealed early on to be grossly broken. He killed some girl because he cared more about himself and his political career than he did her life.

I don't care if he turned into fucking Mother Theresa afterward. He should ahve spent the next 20 years in prison.

Drowning I think.  Though it's unlikely he could have saved her.  But then, that's murder.  So long as you belong to a particular "tribe" in politics.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

citizen k

Quote from: Razgovory on August 27, 2009, 02:40:55 PM

Drowning I think.  Though it's unlikely he could have saved her.  But then, that's murder.  So long as you belong to a particular "tribe" in politics.

I don't know if it's murder. Maybe negligent homicide? Our resident lawtalkers should know. I think he showed indifference and failed to render aid. That would mean some jailtime for most people.

Razgovory

Actually he claimed he tried to help, but simply couldn't.  You could probably get him on the negligent homicide due to drunk driving.  Though that's not exactly cowardice.

Jaron

It is an established fact she likely drowned a couple hours after the accident. The controversy surrounds Teddys behavior that night. The behavior of a man in shock from a horrible accident or a politician desperately calculating how to cover his tracks?
Winner of THE grumbler point.

The Brain

No one demands that you save everyone yourself. It's leaving the scene and go sober up and meet with your spin doctors instead of getting help that's a bit controversial.

Waiting a day before you get help is perfectly normal. If you're a fucking ent, not if you claim to be human.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Strix

Quote from: citizen k on August 27, 2009, 02:44:53 PM
I don't know if it's murder. Maybe negligent homicide? Our resident lawtalkers should know. I think he showed indifference and failed to render aid. That would mean some jailtime for most people.

The irony is that if the same thing had occurred in today's moral climate it's doubtful he'd face the same sort of ridicule that he faced back then. He probably be viewed more as a survivor who went through a horrible ordeal. He'd go to rehab and be the Golden Boy once he got out.

"I always cheer up immensely if an attack is particularly wounding because I think, well, if they attack one personally, it means they have not a single political argument left." - Margaret Thatcher

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: citizen k on August 27, 2009, 02:44:53 PM

Indifference and failing to render aid is not a crime.

Driving while intoxicated and getting into a crash that results in death is although I don't know how strict Mass law was on this in 1969.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Berkut

Quote from: Razgovory on August 27, 2009, 02:47:21 PM
Actually he claimed he tried to help, but simply couldn't.  You could probably get him on the negligent homicide due to drunk driving.  Though that's not exactly cowardice.

Cowardice is not even bothering to call the police who could have helped even if he was uncaring/unwilling/unable until the next morning.

He crashed somewhere around midnight, and did not call the authorities until AFTER the car was found by some guy out fishing the next morning.

The diver who investigated this car that mysteriously turned up upside down in the pond and found her body stated that he certainly could have saved her had he been called immediately after the accident (assuming she was still alive, which is udner some debate).
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Berkut

Quote from: Razgovory on August 27, 2009, 02:40:55 PM

Your tribe is showing Raz.

0 rows returned

Razgovory

Quote from: Berkut on August 27, 2009, 03:02:04 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on August 27, 2009, 02:47:21 PM

Cowardice is not even bothering to call the police who could have helped even if he was uncaring/unwilling/unable until the next morning.

He crashed somewhere around midnight, and did not call the authorities until AFTER the car was found by some guy out fishing the next morning.

Could also be drunkenness or shock.

Razgovory

Quote from: Berkut on August 27, 2009, 03:03:39 PM

So is yours.  The problem with you is that you decided to cloud your political opinions in ideas about reason.  So your end up seeing opinions as facts making politics a system of right and wrong answers.

Malthus

Kennedy is bashed for the perception that, when the accident happened, he acted in such a manner as to give the impression he cared more for how it would affect his public career than about the dead chick.

I don't think he's a murderer or even necessarily a coward (he *claims* to have tried, and failed, to save her himself).

What it does do, is make him appear inordinately self-centred. I don't really buy the notion he was too drunk or concussed to contact the cops before calling his "people".
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Berkut

Quote from: Razgovory on August 27, 2009, 03:08:15 PM
Quote from: Berkut on August 27, 2009, 03:03:39 PM

So is yours.  The problem with you is that you decided to cloud your political opinions in ideas about reason.  So your end up seeing opinions as facts making politics a system of right and wrong answers.

Actually, mine is not - 100% of my objections to Kennedy are perfectly defensible without a single mention of his political party.

And while I have no doubt that had he been a Republican, you would be here singing the tune I am singing, I also have no doubt that if he were a Republican, or any party for that matter, I would sing the precisely same tune I am singing right now - and have in fact sung about Republicans I find despicable as well, although to be honest there are precious few of any party who have shown themselves to be as morally reprehensible as Mr. Kennedy, so it is a little hard to compare.

0 rows returned