And we're back!

Main Menu

Victoria 2

Started by Liep, August 19, 2009, 02:04:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

grumbler

Quote from: Iormlund on October 17, 2009, 06:58:03 AM
Quote from: Ideologue on October 17, 2009, 01:28:46 AM
I bet they forget that ironclads shouldn't be able to sink dreadnoughts, too.

That's a minor error though, seeing as how pretty much anything can sink a dreadnought, from vintage biplanes to a couple Italian dudes in shorts.
You don't have to sink them; if you wait long enough, they will blow themselves up in port.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

PDH

I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

Agelastus

Quote from: grumbler on October 17, 2009, 11:17:41 AM
Quote from: Iormlund on October 17, 2009, 06:58:03 AM
Quote from: Ideologue on October 17, 2009, 01:28:46 AM
I bet they forget that ironclads shouldn't be able to sink dreadnoughts, too.

That's a minor error though, seeing as how pretty much anything can sink a dreadnought, from vintage biplanes to a couple Italian dudes in shorts.
You don't have to sink them; if you wait long enough, they will blow themselves up in port.

At least they tend not to sink each other via accidental ramming, as certain previous generations of capital ships did. :)

I also seriously doubt that the map will be the "most accurate Paradox has made" given the appearance of the HOI3 map.
"Come grow old with me
The Best is yet to be
The last of life for which the first was made."

dps

Quote from: HisMajestyBOB on October 08, 2009, 07:10:55 PM
Quote from: MadBurgerMaker on October 08, 2009, 01:48:39 PM
Quote from: The Minsky Moment on October 08, 2009, 01:36:29 PM
The planned cover is out.

It shows a small but determined band of Redcoats preparing to charge quickstep on Robert E. Lee, who is sheathed in a protective glow of flaming aurora borealis.  Unfortunately for Lee, his giant horse is about to trample his rather poorly placed artillery.

I was going to say it's weird that people in that thread are worried that buyers might think it's an ACW game..until I came across the post with the dude who actually does think that cover implies the game is about the Civil War.  A battle between the British and Confederates.

You'd think that they'd go with different covers for different markets.

It's kinda funny, since everyone will bitch about the cover no matter what they pick.
And all the Euros want the Franco-Prussian war, because anything Amerikkka won't sell in Europe. :lol:

alfred russel

Quote from: Queequeg on October 08, 2009, 07:41:51 PM
Quote from: alfred russel on August 23, 2009, 03:09:57 PM
Permanent lowering of stability with noncore provinces, loss of cores in provinces of a different culture (loss would be through events and revolts), perhaps an expansion of the administrative tension concept from CK.

If you make it so France + a large part of the HRE can field an army that is smaller than France alone plus has less money, you could be well on your way.
This seems somewhat ahistorical and unnecessarily limiting.  The Empire of Augustus and the Good Emperors were very stable places, so was the Ottoman Empire under Mehmet II and Suleyman I, and certain periods of the various Chinese Empires.

Your examples suck. The period of roman history you refer to was more than 1000 years before the start date of the game, and China and the Ottomans would be stable because of the culture aspect. I've frequently seen China or the Manchu expand to the Caspian and into India--the status quo is ridiculous. 
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

grumbler

Quote from: Agelastus on October 17, 2009, 06:18:39 PM
At least they tend not to sink each other via accidental ramming, as certain previous generations of capital ships did. :)
To be fair, those admirals didn't have a fair chance to get the whole port and starboard thing down pat.  I remember being occasionally confused as an ensign myself.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

PDH

Quote from: grumbler on October 18, 2009, 10:09:51 PM
To be fair, those admirals didn't have a fair chance to get the whole port and starboard thing down pat.  I remember being occasionally confused as an ensign myself.
:rolleyes: Port is wine, which comes from Portugal, as one returns to England, that country is on the right, which makes the officers turn that direction and cast longing gazes toward the country. When ordered back to their posts, the have to GO LEFT to find their duty stations - thus the origin of Port = Left.

Simple, when you understand the history.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

grumbler

Quote from: PDH on October 19, 2009, 07:52:32 AM
:rolleyes: Port is wine, which comes from Portugal, as one returns to England, that country is on the right, which makes the officers turn that direction and cast longing gazes toward the country. When ordered back to their posts, the have to GO LEFT to find their duty stations - thus the origin of Port = Left.

Simple, when you understand the history.
:rolleyes:  The collisions were in the Med, where port is on the starboard side (and the steering board on the ports side).

Bayraktar!

PDH

I thought the Steering Board only met ever two years...
-Umberto Eco

-------

-CdM

Barrister

Quote from: grumbler on October 18, 2009, 10:09:51 PM
Quote from: Agelastus on October 17, 2009, 06:18:39 PM

Not that you have to go into this if you don't want to, but I thought you were enlisted, not an officer (and thus never an ensign)?

Or do I misunderstand US Navy ranks?
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

MadBurgerMaker

Quote from: Barrister on October 19, 2009, 12:33:05 PM
Not that you have to go into this if you don't want to, but I thought you were enlisted, not an officer (and thus never an ensign)?

Chiefs, who are enlisted, wear khaki "officer" uniforms (the rank insignia is different of course), so people sometimes might make a mistake with them, especially inside and from a distance.

There are also Warrant Officers, who have a single bar as insignia.  IIRC though, and I didn't run into these guys very much at all and it's been a while, their bars are silver or gold with some blue squares on them, instead of just gold like the bar an ensign wears.  It's a dude wearing an officers uniform with a single shiny bar on his collar though, and he is most certainly not an ensign.

Edit:  For comparision:

The reason I said "inside" is because when they're outside, they're wearing their covers.  Officers have that big chunk of gold on there in addition to the band and scrambled eggs, etc.  The Chiefs have the smaller anchor and no other gold stuff.  :)

grumbler

I was enlisted before I was commissioned.  BTW, Ensign is the worst rank to be in the whole navy, but Lieutenant(jg) the best.

Bayraktar!

Barrister

Quote from: grumbler on October 19, 2009, 01:13:42 PM

I was enlisted before I was commissioned.  BTW, Ensign is the worst rank to be in the whole navy, but Lieutenant(jg) the best.

Ah, cool.

You can't leave a statement hanging out there like that.  Why is Ensign the worst, but Lieutenant the best?
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

grumbler

Quote from: Barrister on October 19, 2009, 01:20:59 PM
Ah, cool.

You can't leave a statement hanging out there like that.  Why is Ensign the worst, but Lieutenant the best?
No one allows you to do anything as an ensign.  As a JG you get to do stuff but expectations are low enough that you can have fun, and no one trusts you to do the really boring stuff like administration.

Bayraktar!

saskganesh

cover is awful.

it really should be Zulus with maxim guns versus Prussian Zoauves.
humans were created in their own image