Previous topic - Next topic

Ed Anger

My official position to government programs:

Is to grab everything not nailed down.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

garbon

Quote from: derspiess on August 14, 2009, 03:22:04 PM
Dignity. 

And not wanting to validate such a flawed system that doles out jobs/benefits/educational opportunities based upon race or ethnicity or whatever.

I still have my dignity. I don't feel cheapened because fools handed me benefits. (Nor did I feel cheapened when the government sent us all checks, though I wondered why...)

The system is always flawed. Opting out amounts to putting yourself at a disadvantage...not really sure who gains there. :unsure:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

garbon

Quote from: Ed Anger on August 14, 2009, 03:27:58 PM
My official position to government programs:

Is to grab everything not nailed down.

:yes:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Martim Silva

Quote from: merithyn on August 14, 2009, 01:58:32 PM
By the way, before you say that my nieces and nephews can't possibly be Mexican since they can't read or write the language, they were born in Mexico to Mexican parents with black hair, brown skin, and brown eyes.

Can't comment. My Mexican friends are all blue-eyed blondes. And not any less Mexican for it.

Merithyn, you confuse culture with race. As said, one comes from nurture [and it can be changed if one truly wants it], other comes from nature and cannot be changed, ever. If you identify yourself with Mexican culture, you may as well adopt it totally and request Mexican citizenship - but that will not change your race, at best your ethnicity (I believe the Americans would then classify you as 'Hispanic').

See Michael Jackson as an example: even though he surgically changed himself, even to the point of marrying white women and claiming that he could father absolutely white kids, he was always black and was presented as an african-american icon at his funeral (wonder what he himself would have thought about that).

For race, skin colour is the least important issue. Today science pays little attention to it. What is used to determine it is molecular biology (each race is "built" differently at a molecular level. In other words, a Chinaman has a molecular structure that is not similar to that of, say, an Arab, and vice-versa).

So, to know your race, just take a blood sample and send it to a molecular lab. They'll de-construct your molecular structure and tell you from where your ancestors came and to whom you belong to (or to which groups, in case there is a mixed heritage).

merithyn

Quote from: Martim Silva on August 14, 2009, 03:48:18 PM
Merithyn, you confuse culture with race.

I'm not sure I confused anything. I simply disagreed with you that one is not the other. It is my opinion - and since race is a social construct anyway, my opinion is a valid as anyone else's - that culture can and should be a valued part in deciding who belongs to which racial group.

What you're describing isn't race anymore than your idea that culture isn't what makes a person a particular race. It's an indicator of what your genetic pool is, but not what "race" you belong to. My best friend, after all, wouldn't find out what race she was from it, as she is more than one (several in fact, being part Indian, part black, and part Korean among many other things).
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

Razgovory

Quote from: Caliga on August 14, 2009, 03:24:04 PM
Quote from: derspiess on August 14, 2009, 03:22:04 PM
And not wanting to validate such a flawed system that doles out jobs/benefits/educational opportunities based upon race or ethnicity or whatever.
:thumbsup:

Oh come one, you would take it if it were offered to you.  You were pleased as punch about how much Pork your Senator brings to your state.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

stjaba

Quote from: merithyn on August 14, 2009, 04:52:34 PM
I'm not sure I confused anything. I simply disagreed with you that one is not the other. It is my opinion - and since race is a social construct anyway, my opinion is a valid as anyone else's - that culture can and should be a valued part in deciding who belongs to which racial group.

What you're describing isn't race anymore than your idea that culture isn't what makes a person a particular race. It's an indicator of what your genetic pool is, but not what "race" you belong to. My best friend, after all, wouldn't find out what race she was from it, as she is more than one (several in fact, being part Indian, part black, and part Korean among many other things).

I think you are confusing race and nationality. To me, Korean or Indian aren't "races," they are nationalities. But that is besides the point.
----

I admit I sympathize with the notion of self-identity. How you identify yourself is important. However I know Hispanics who were born in other countries(Cuba, Mexico) who self identify not as Cuban or Mexican, but as American or alternatively as Mexican-American, which makes your self-identification as Mexican look absurd. to me. Based on evidence posted by you and others, it seems like your cultural identity is primarily American. There may be Mexican influence in who you are, but to claim you are primarily a "White Hispanic" as opposed to a plain old White just seems like you are emphasizing a secondary part of your identity for the purpose of standing out on grad school applications.

Caliga

Quote from: Martim Silva on August 14, 2009, 03:48:18 PMSee Michael Jackson as an example: even though he surgically changed himself, even to the point of marrying white women and claiming that he could father absolutely white kids, he was always black and was presented as an african-american icon at his funeral (wonder what he himself would have thought about that).

Regardless of how Michael Jackson looked, he consistently described himself as an African-American, indicated he was proud of his heritage, and surrounded himself with an African-American posse for his entire life.  I really see no reason to doubt his vitiligo claims given all of that behavior.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Caliga

Quote from: Razgovory on August 14, 2009, 05:35:35 PM
Oh come one, you would take it if it were offered to you.  You were pleased as punch about how much Pork your Senator brings to your state.
We need the help.  :blush:
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Neil

Quote from: BuddhaRhubarb on August 14, 2009, 11:55:10 AM
Lame.... in this day and age Mixed heritage should be a very obvious option. If you are going to bother with such categorizing and racial profiling of children.
In the US they are required to racially profile the children, for Affirmative Action reasons.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

dps

Quote from: Caliga on August 14, 2009, 09:24:47 AM
Quote from: Peter Wiggin on August 14, 2009, 09:24:06 AM
You can be Mexican if you want, but you'll never be a mestiza. As others, have said, Hispanic is not a race.
Well, if we're going to be technical about it, shouldn't she have to obtain Mexican citizenship to be a Mexican? :)

That's the crux of what I've been trying to get across to her.  She keeps talking about stuff that relates to nationality and culture, neither of which (in an American context) have anything to do with race.  Race is genetic;  it's about physical traits.  What language you speak, or what kind of accent that you have, are completely irrelevant.

derspiess

Quote from: garbon on August 14, 2009, 03:39:55 PM
I still have my dignity. I don't feel cheapened because fools handed me benefits. (Nor did I feel cheapened when the government sent us all checks, though I wondered why...)

You may not have felt cheapened, but you were.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

garbon

Quote from: derspiess on August 14, 2009, 08:59:45 PM
You may not have felt cheapened, but you were.

Okay. :rolleyes:

Actually, I recall saving several thousand dollars. ^_^

BuddhaRhubarb

Quote from: The Larch on August 14, 2009, 01:48:15 PM
Quote from: garbon on August 14, 2009, 01:03:15 PM
Quote from: The Larch on August 14, 2009, 12:05:31 PM
mi hija

Perhaps you should know what you are talking about when you correct someone. The shorthand round here for "mi hija" is mi'ja or mija.

There are no shorthands of that kind in Spanish.

:rolleyes: every language has shorthand, amigo.

Especially in America. They can will, and, are ruin(ing)  your language just like they ruined English.

it's a fact. The Brits have given up on correcting them... Spain will have to learn as Spanish becomes more used in America everyday, it will get melting potted.
:p

BuddhaRhubarb

Quote from: Neil on August 14, 2009, 08:22:50 PM
Quote from: BuddhaRhubarb on August 14, 2009, 11:55:10 AM
Lame.... in this day and age Mixed heritage should be a very obvious option. If you are going to bother with such categorizing and racial profiling of children.
In the US they are required to racially profile the children, for Affirmative Action reasons.

sad... this is why America isn't as Great as it used to be.
:p