News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

What makes a person a particular race?

Started by merithyn, August 13, 2009, 09:27:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Caliga

so kat, did you know Meri was your cousin? :)
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

garbon

Quote from: Razgovory on August 14, 2009, 04:11:40 AM
If the census says that you were black one year and white another then that's how it is.

:D
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

katmai

Quote from: Caliga on August 14, 2009, 12:48:55 PM

I only know of three chicanos on this board, including myself and none of them are female.
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

katmai

Quote from: The Larch on August 14, 2009, 12:05:31 PM
Did you get to learn Spanish? You seem to have slipped a bit with it (It's calzones, mi hija and nariz. Sopa doesn't mean rice, but soup. It's arroz the word you're looking for).

Well besides the sopa mis-translation, the others can be chalked up to never learning to write spanish and just trying phonetically mi compadre Larch :P

MadImmortalMan

Quote from: katmai on August 14, 2009, 12:54:35 PM

I only know of three chicanos on this board, including myself and none of them are female.

Define chicanos.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Eddie Teach

You, Jaron, Funk Monk?
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

katmai

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on August 14, 2009, 12:58:05 PM

Define chicanos.

Someone born in US who can trace their family back to mexico.

Of this board I know of
FunkMonk (Flip-i-can)
Jaron (by way of byzanteen)
myself

katmai

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on August 14, 2009, 12:58:52 PM

You, Jaron, Funk Monk?

Si senor eduardo.

garbon

mi hija

Perhaps you should know what you are talking about when you correct someone. The shorthand round here for "mi hija" is mi'ja or mija.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

HVC

Mija (phonetically anyway) means to piss in portuguese. what does it mean in spanish?
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Malthus

Quote from: garbon on August 14, 2009, 11:35:25 AM
Quote from: Malthus on August 14, 2009, 08:38:30 AM
"Race" is a subset of that, in that the common ancesty or origin is defined, not by yourself, but rather by a real or alleged physical similarity or genetic commonality.

It is a peculiarity of the US that the Black "race" (and to a lesser extent native american "race") is subject to the 'one drop rule' - in that even the smallest amount of Black features suffices to catagorize one, in the eyes of others, as "Black".

So while in general ethnicity is more or less self chosen, in the specific case of Black Americans one will be considered "Black" even if one has no Black cultural traits and only a visible minimum of Black shared ancestry. In contrast, by and large a person of hispanic origin could, if they so choose, self-identify as "White American" by adopting White American traits and identifying themselves as White; similarly with Jews and the like.

Actually, I think that's the simplistic version of it.  After all, if you do have some (let's say distant) black heritage but your features aren't seen to be black, people aren't going to consider you black. It isn't so much about the actual drops involved but how people identify your features.

I suppose I should add "the smallest amount of Black features visible to others". Certainly in the past many were concerned about "passing" for White, if they could.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

derspiess

Quote from: merithyn on August 13, 2009, 10:21:51 PM
Lately, whenever I fill out paperwork, I've been putting down Hispanic White (as opposed to Non-Hispanic White). It seems more honest, and yet to some, I could see this as being complete bunk.

:huh:
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

The Larch

Quote from: katmai on August 14, 2009, 12:56:49 PM
Did you get to learn Spanish? You seem to have slipped a bit with it (It's calzones, mi hija and nariz. Sopa doesn't mean rice, but soup. It's arroz the word you're looking for).

Well besides the sopa mis-translation, the others can be chalked up to never learning to write spanish and just trying phonetically mi compadre Larch :P

That's why I said she was slipping.  :P She got the gist of the thing, but missed a letter here and there.

And learning to write a language is part of the whole learning languages thing, it's not just about speaking.  ;)

The Larch

Quote from: garbon on August 14, 2009, 01:03:15 PM
mi hija

Perhaps you should know what you are talking about when you correct someone. The shorthand round here for "mi hija" is mi'ja or mija.

There are no shorthands of that kind in Spanish.

HVC

Quote from: The Larch on August 14, 2009, 01:47:37 PM
And learning to write a language is part of the whole learning languages thing, it's not just about speaking.  ;)
How dare you discrimate against illeterates :ultra: :P
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.