News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

A glance at HoI3

Started by Norgy, August 07, 2009, 04:03:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Razgovory

Ugh.  I forgot.  It has that terrible tutorial that when I'm done I still don't know what I'm doing. <_<
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

ulmont

Let the theatre ai handle things and just work on tech / production.

HisMajestyBOB

Quote from: Tamas on September 05, 2009, 05:45:47 AM
Quote from: Razgovory on September 04, 2009, 08:01:33 PM
I reckon I'll take the plunge tonight.  I'll try from Gamers gate because whenever I download a game from Steam I can't find the files that make up the game.

I haven't tried 1.2 yet, gotta say that I still find unlimited naval distance for AI quite disgusting, it basically renders the pacific theatre meaningless, and a joke.

The Pacific theater has always been a joke. In HoI and HoI2, Japan would conquer China within a year, then struggle to invade the undefended Dutch East indies and Indochina, simply because they refuse to remove the massive piles of infantry from the home islands. Meanwhile, the American carrier fleet hangs out around the Aleutians, while the Jap navy does donuts in the Philippine Sea, before sailing off to the Med to engage the Aussies.

And from what I've read on the HoI3 forums, they've brought back CAGs as a separate unit (like CORE HoI1), but CAGs don't recover Org or Strength while on carriers (also like HoI1). Not to mention the perpetually raining oceans.
Three lovely Prada points for HoI2 help

Ideologue

Quote from: HisMajestyBOB on September 05, 2009, 09:44:57 PM
I reckon I'll take the plunge tonight.  I'll try from Gamers gate because whenever I download a game from Steam I can't find the files that make up the game.

I haven't tried 1.2 yet, gotta say that I still find unlimited naval distance for AI quite disgusting, it basically renders the pacific theatre meaningless, and a joke.

The Pacific theater has always been a joke. In HoI and HoI2, Japan would conquer China within a year, then struggle to invade the undefended Dutch East indies and Indochina, simply because they refuse to remove the massive piles of infantry from the home islands. Meanwhile, the American carrier fleet hangs out around the Aleutians, while the Jap navy does donuts in the Philippine Sea, before sailing off to the Med to engage the Aussies.

And from what I've read on the HoI3 forums, they've brought back CAGs as a separate unit (like CORE HoI1), but CAGs don't recover Org or Strength while on carriers (also like HoI1). Not to mention the perpetually raining oceans.

Wait, what?

"On a carrier at sea," or "on a carrier--even in a port"?

Because that would be too fucked up, although it would explain some weird naval engagements I've had where the Germans can get within range of my ships at all.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Razgovory

Hmmm.  I tried to start a game as Brazil but it crashes on the setup.  Twice.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Crazy_Ivan80

Quote from: Ideologue on September 05, 2009, 10:40:43 PM

Wait, what?

Because that would be too fucked up, although it would explain some weird naval engagements I've had where the Germans can get within range of my ships at all.
just carrier at sea

Razgovory

I don't seem to be able to get any nation to start in 1936.  Just a crash to desktop.

Also loading for this game take for fucking ever.

Monoriu

Quote from: Josephus on September 04, 2009, 03:48:46 PM
So...is the game fixed?

The weather system is still fuber.  Most of the oceans rain perpetually.  There is also a large area around Berlin that does that too.  But it seems to work in most land areas of Europe.

Switzerland still joins the Allies.  It is plausible for, say, Belgium or the Netherlands to join.  Even the US.  But Switzerland joining the Allies is insane. 

Ape

Been modding the files somewhat, I just can't stand it when it simply says "Rommel" sure everyone with a least some knowledge of ww2 know who he was, but how much more work is it to instead type down "Rommel, Erwin"?

As it is I've added first named to 95% of the German genarals, will begin doing the admirals soon.

If anyone is interested in getting on a first name basis on the German generals, shout it out loud and I might post the file

Ideologue

Quote from: Crazy_Ivan80 on September 06, 2009, 04:26:19 AM
Quote from: Ideologue on September 05, 2009, 10:40:43 PM

Wait, what?

just carrier at sea

Well, there's nothing wrong with that.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Ideologue

Quote from: Ape on September 07, 2009, 10:28:55 AM
Been modding the files somewhat, I just can't stand it when it simply says "Rommel" sure everyone with a least some knowledge of ww2 know who he was, but how much more work is it to instead type down "Rommel, Erwin"?
83% more.  117%, counting the comma and the space.
Kinemalogue

Kleves

So is the game still complete and utter shite, or is it worth taking a look at now?
My aim, then, was to whip the rebels, to humble their pride, to follow them to their inmost recesses, and make them fear and dread us. Fear is the beginning of wisdom.

The Brain

It's worse than the real thing.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Darth Wagtaros

PDH!

Razgovory

Quote from: Kleves on September 11, 2009, 04:20:01 PM
So is the game still complete and utter shite, or is it worth taking a look at now?

For me it is.  I get a crash to desktop on 1936 and 1938 scenarios.  ALso it takes five minutes to load.  Fuck that shit.  They got my cash.  Maybe they can use it to make something decent.