News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

A glance at HoI3

Started by Norgy, August 07, 2009, 04:03:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Norgy

Well, it is good.

In fact, I would go as far as to say it is even on first try engaging and damn fun.

Whatever criticism that has been levelled at maps and such, HoI3 more than makes up for. Not only does it look good, it actually plays like a dream too.

I have tried two games. One as the US of A, one as the UK.

Playing the UK as usual offers limited choices, but given my perennial leftism, I decided it'd be a freaking great idea to support Republican Spain.

And maybe, you know, build some planes and carriers.
The UK starts off with absolutely no tech advantage. In fact, and I am not sure about this, I think almost any country starts off with better tech.

So, with some much-needed changes in the general staff, Norgy got down and dirty with researching tank tech.
We probably will need that in a few years.

The tech tree actually is not just decent but damned inventive and classy.

I love it.

My only concern about HoI3 is that it is fucking addictive even from the start.
I am probably going to play this until death. It is that good, people.

This one also comes with an AI.
Which is good. :P

All in all, well worth an investment, and well worth trying a Languish MP again with.
I suggest we all meet up around 12 pm CET and sit around in the lobby until kat and Habbaku manage to log in, then manage 20 minutes or so of actual gameplay.

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Josquius

What is this you are playing?
You're a beta?
QuoteAnd maybe, you know, build some planes and carriers.
The UK starts off with absolutely no tech advantage. In fact, and I am not sure about this, I think almost any country starts off with better tech.
How stupid

The tech tree actually is not just decent but damned inventive and classy.
Do advances in one area help in another yet?
I hated it in the last games how you could have super ultra amazing jet fighters but if you choose to design a interceptor its back to 1936 technology and it takes just as long as developing your next generation super carrier....
██████
██████
██████

garbon

So what happened when you woke up from your dream?
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Fate

I like it so far, but I'm more than a bit overwhelmed on the sheer amount of information displayed. HOI2 had it right in keeping the user interface simple and clean.

Map is: sexy.

AI is: to be determined. Has anyone experienced a serious AI naval invasion? I would like to be forced to make a decision between keeping armies in France and the Lowlands or beefing up Barbarossa.

Norgy

Quote from: Fate on August 07, 2009, 04:17:30 PM

AI is: to be determined. Has anyone experienced a serious AI naval invasion? I would like to be forced to make a decision between keeping armies in France and the Lowlands or beefing up Barbarossa.

Well, my support for the Reds in Spain earned me a Franco buttfuck in Gibraltar.

So, I try and research marines, 'cause this is not going to be unpunished.
Franco will feel pain!

Well, not really, since UK IC is almost non-existing and the UK have the highest upkeep cost ever.

There MAY be a naval invasion of Spain some time around 1946.
If we can find our swim trunks.

MadBurgerMaker

Quote from: Norgy on August 07, 2009, 04:28:18 PM
Well, not really, since UK IC is almost non-existing and the UK have the highest upkeep cost ever.

There's apparently some sort of bug that was introduced with 1.1 that really messes with your available IC as certain countries (UK being one of them).

http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/showthread.php?t=417183

QuoteWhen playing various countries during peacetime, the number of non-reserve brigades used to calculate the percentage of IC needed for consumer goods (or at least the number shown in the tooltip) appears to be calculated in what seems to be an incorrect fashion. Each non-reserve division appears to count as the number of brigades it contains squared, so that a division with one brigade still counts as a single brigade, a division with two brigades counts as four brigades, one with three as nine, and one with four as sixteen. This also applies to divisions created by splitting or merging existing divisions, so that two two-brigade divisions counting as 2^2+2^2=8 brigades will count as 4^2=16 brigades when merged, for instance.

This means that the peacetime economies of several countries (including France, the UK, Japan and the USSR) are completely screwed, as 99% of their IC has to go to consumer goods due to the calculated number of active brigades being far higher than their actual number.

The number of brigades displayed in the demo seems to be correct (ie. a division counts as its number of brigades and no more), so this may have been an issue introduced in the 1.1 patch.

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Sahib

Is the first post a trap?  :unsure:
Stonewall=Worst Mod ever

Warspite

" SIR – I must commend you on some of your recent obituaries. I was delighted to read of the deaths of Foday Sankoh (August 9th), and Uday and Qusay Hussein (July 26th). Do you take requests? "

OVO JE SRBIJA
BUDALO, OVO JE POSTA

Neil

Nobody can tell me if the warships are any fun.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Weatherman

Quote from: Neil on August 07, 2009, 06:29:32 PM
Nobody can tell me if the warships are any fun.

It's a Paradox game. What do you think?

Darth Wagtaros

You sayin' the major nations have no IC because Paradox fucked up the very first patch that was supposed to fix the bugs in their initial release? 

I'm torn between contempt for whatever idiot did that and relief that I'm waiting another month to buy it.
PDH!

Razgovory

Even with my new video card it runs like crap.  Or at least the demo did.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Ideologue

Quote from: Darth Wagtaros on August 07, 2009, 08:53:52 PM
You sayin' the major nations have no IC because Paradox fucked up the very first patch that was supposed to fix the bugs in their initial release? 

If so, that's pretty sad and hilarious.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)