News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Israeli atrocities in Gaza

Started by DGuller, March 21, 2009, 10:18:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Berkut

Psst. Guys.

My point doesn't really have much to do with how much rainfall Gaza gets.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Queequeg on March 24, 2009, 02:21:57 PM
Quote from: The Minsky Moment on March 24, 2009, 01:24:58 PM

Deserts receive less than 250mm of annual preciptition; Gaza gets 200-400.  It's on the borderline.
Is this hugely different from most of Israel?  I'd imagine it is a pretty arid place, though efficient Israeli irrigation has no doubt changed the place alot from what it was 200 years ago.

Israeli has a very varied climate.  Parts get quite a bit of rainfall.  Parts of very dry, and are considered to be desert - for example, the Negev desert, near Gaza . . .
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Berkut on March 24, 2009, 02:31:29 PM
Psst. Guys.

don't mess with the counter-troll.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Fate

Psst. Guys.

No, your point was that Gaza is mostly desert, which is clearly false. Your intellectual dishonesty knows no bounds.

garbon

Quote from: Berkut on March 24, 2009, 02:19:40 PM
Then why are you arguing about it?

LA has a similar density to Gaza, and yet LA has huge areas where there are very few people at all.

So, to the extent that it is similar to Gaza (in a very gross sense - I suspect Gaza has a vastly great amount of population clumping than LA), it is a great example. To the extent that it supports the idea that Gaza is so densely populated that you cannot find anywhere to launch rockets that are not close to lots of civilians, it is a poor example.

I thought his point was that the density map did little to prove or disprove the point you were making, as it noted the uniform density of the region and didn't show the clustering of population centers in that region.  Basically he was just picking at the supporting image used.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

grumbler

Quote from: garbon on March 24, 2009, 02:50:53 PM
I thought his point was that the density map did little to prove or disprove the point you were making, as it noted the uniform density of the region and didn't show the clustering of population centers in that region.  Basically he was just picking at the supporting image used.
Actually, I think it showed the opposite - that there were regions of higher and lower density.  It wasn't granular enough to show actual empty areas, but it definitely disproved any "uniformly densely populated" claims.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

The Brain

:bleeding: The next Board Cleansing cannot come quickly enough.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

fhdz

Quote from: The Brain on March 24, 2009, 03:43:21 PM

I cleansed a board last night, but only because I had been cutting chicken on it.
and the horse you rode in on

The Brain

Quote from: fahdiz on March 24, 2009, 03:49:29 PM
Quote from: The Brain on March 24, 2009, 03:43:21 PM

I cleansed a board last night, but only because I had been cutting chicken on it.

How did you cook the chicken?
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

fhdz

and the horse you rode in on

Razgovory

Fate is has been taking tips from Strix.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Siege

Quote from: Fate on March 24, 2009, 02:42:47 PM
Psst. Guys.

No, your point was that Gaza is mostly desert, which is clearly false. Your intellectual dishonesty knows no bounds.

As far as population goes, Gaza is deserted.
There aren't any human beings in there.

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"

Queequeg

Quote from: Siege on March 24, 2009, 06:52:23 PM
Quote from: Fate on March 24, 2009, 02:42:47 PM
Psst. Guys.

Its one of the most densely populated areas on earth. 
Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

Barrister

Quote from: Queequeg on March 24, 2009, 06:55:42 PM
Quote from: Siege on March 24, 2009, 06:52:23 PM
Its one of the most densely populated areas on earth.

:whoosh:
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

garbon

Quote from: grumbler on March 24, 2009, 03:40:24 PM
Actually, I think it showed the opposite - that there were regions of higher and lower density.  It wasn't granular enough to show actual empty areas, but it definitely disproved any "uniformly densely populated" claims.

The region = Gaza. I suppose that the map did show that there are two different density areas in Gaza.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.