Girl sues her college because ... she can't find a job

Started by Jaron, August 04, 2009, 04:09:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DontSayBanana

Quote from: jimmy olsen on August 04, 2009, 08:23:53 PM
Quote from: DontSayBanana on August 04, 2009, 08:19:56 PM
A BBA who was probably too illiterate to read the placement percentages before attending deserves all the shafting she can get.
BBA?

Bachelor's in Business Arts. Did you bother reading your article before you posted it? ;)
Experience bij!

crazy canuck

Quote from: ulmont on August 04, 2009, 06:00:30 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on August 04, 2009, 05:45:09 PM
No we dont.  Universities in BC (and in most other provinces) are private actors although they are created by legislation.  UBC is governed by its own board of governors.

Kind of like the Chartered banks in that respect.

I believe the Board of Regents of the University System of Georgia is in a similar position.  But, because it has authority over the entire University System, it is in the Board's interest to allow students to transfer from the community colleges into the full four year universities, and they can set the standards that way, etc.

We dont have a board that controls the whole system.  Each University and each college has its own board.   They compete for students and so it doesnt make much sense to enter into the kind of agreements BB was talking about.  They may recognize certain credits from other institutions but there is no guarrantee of that which again brings me back to my point about the risks involved in going to a junior school first.  It might work out well but there are no guarranties.

Monoriu

In Hong Kong, the dropout rates from universities is low - 1-2% per year, from all causes.  It is TOUGH to get in except as a freshman.  Tens of thousands of people do "associate degrees", which are essentially first and second years with the promise that they may get into a third (and final) year.  May.  Turns out that chance is very, very slim.   

BuddhaRhubarb

Quote from: Barrister on August 04, 2009, 01:37:07 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on August 04, 2009, 01:23:24 PM
I think that would be very unusual.  I know of no universities in Canada that have a reciprocal program with anyone in the way you have described it.  Further, I dont know of many Universities that would formally admit that the first two years of their undergraduate program was equivalent to that of a junior community college.

With respect you should look more closely.  It has become very common over the last maybe 10 years.  In Alberta people would do a year or two at say NAIT or Grant McEwan, then transfer to U of A.  Up here in Yukon, a lot of local kids will do their first year or two at Yukon College, then take those credits down south to finish a university degree.

:yes:
and to make it easier the moustache twirling "Liberals" here in BC have given every halfassed community college in the province University status! They can raise tuition and get bigger and bigger. transfer on in!

ps is there a way anyone, to change the quoting system so when it starts the cursor is at the very end of what's being quoted by you instead of someone else? annnoying!!!
:p

merithyn

Quote from: crazy canuck on August 04, 2009, 08:50:53 PM

We dont have a board that controls the whole system.  Each University and each college has its own board.   They compete for students and so it doesnt make much sense to enter into the kind of agreements BB was talking about.  They may recognize certain credits from other institutions but there is no guarrantee of that which again brings me back to my point about the risks involved in going to a junior school first.  It might work out well but there are no guarranties.

This is a given. It's best to check into this based on the University that you want to go to. Some credits will not transfer while others will. It's no different than transferring from one four-year university to another. Just cheaper. :P
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

merithyn

Quote from: Monoriu on August 04, 2009, 08:54:31 PM
In Hong Kong, the dropout rates from universities is low - 1-2% per year, from all causes.  It is TOUGH to get in except as a freshman.  Tens of thousands of people do "associate degrees", which are essentially first and second years with the promise that they may get into a third (and final) year.  May.  Turns out that chance is very, very slim.

But we know that how things are done there has little bearing on how they're done in the ROTW. Education especially is a unique beast in Asia compared to the Western World. You all just do things very differently there.
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...