Girl sues her college because ... she can't find a job

Started by Jaron, August 04, 2009, 04:09:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Caliga

Quote from: Ed Anger on August 04, 2009, 01:34:31 PM
She is going in the fall.  :huh:
But she missed out on "the Ohio State Experience"(TM) when she should have been getting it earlier.  Her life: ruined :(
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Maximus

I took my basic math/science courses at the local CC. My instructors were all UIUC grad school grads, and several were former UIUC TA's. Thye all claimed the CC classes were superior because of the class sizes. They were a lot cheaper too, and transfer without a question-- they are tailored to UIUC specs.

Ed Anger

Quote from: Caliga on August 04, 2009, 01:37:13 PM
Quote from: Ed Anger on August 04, 2009, 01:34:31 PM
She is going in the fall.  :huh:
But she missed out on "the Ohio State Experience"(TM) when she should have been getting it earlier.  Her life: ruined :(

Yeah, going there at age 17. OVER MY DEAD BODY.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Caliga

The Brain

Have you found her a husband yet? Or do you think she is above marriagable age?
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Caliga on August 04, 2009, 01:27:17 PM
I've not heard of it either, but I think it's weird that you would expect Canadian higher ed to be identical to what we have here.  :huh:

Most Universities work on a similar model.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Barrister on August 04, 2009, 01:37:07 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on August 04, 2009, 01:23:24 PM
I think that would be very unusual.  I know of no universities in Canada that have a reciprocal program with anyone in the way you have described it.  Further, I dont know of many Universities that would formally admit that the first two years of their undergraduate program was equivalent to that of a junior community college.

With respect you should look more closely.  It has become very common over the last maybe 10 years.  In Alberta people would do a year or two at say NAIT or Grant McEwan, then transfer to U of A.  Up here in Yukon, a lot of local kids will do their first year or two at Yukon College, then take those credits down south to finish a university degree.

I am not saying that people dont transfer.  Of course they do.  What I am saying is it would be very unusual that there is a formal guarrantee that they can transfer in the way Meri desribed it.

Barrister

Quote from: crazy canuck on August 04, 2009, 01:45:39 PM
Quote from: Barrister on August 04, 2009, 01:37:07 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on August 04, 2009, 01:23:24 PM
I think that would be very unusual.  I know of no universities in Canada that have a reciprocal program with anyone in the way you have described it.  Further, I dont know of many Universities that would formally admit that the first two years of their undergraduate program was equivalent to that of a junior community college.

With respect you should look more closely.  It has become very common over the last maybe 10 years.  In Alberta people would do a year or two at say NAIT or Grant McEwan, then transfer to U of A.  Up here in Yukon, a lot of local kids will do their first year or two at Yukon College, then take those credits down south to finish a university degree.

I am not saying that people dont transfer.  Of course they do.  What I am saying is it would be very unusual that there is a formal guarrantee that they can transfer in the way Meri desribed it.

There is a formal guarantee.   :huh:

Just as an example, here is a webpage showing you what Yukon College credits will transfer into other university credits at different universities.  All BC Universities have such transfer agreements.  And it isn't a northern-only thing either - I bet all BC colleges have agreements with BC universities.

http://www.yukoncollege.yk.ca/arts_science/transfer_credit.php
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Jaron

Its in the upper two years that schools have to prove their worth anyways. Many of my teachers at my community college were college professors who I guess needed an extra buck. :P But they brought their university shit to my community accessible stomping grounds!
Winner of THE grumbler point.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Barrister on August 04, 2009, 01:49:31 PM
I bet all BC colleges have agreements with BC universities.

http://www.yukoncollege.yk.ca/arts_science/transfer_credit.php

These are not agreements.  Universities have ad hoc committees which review what credits they will accept from other institutions.  Every University reserves the right to change these without notice.

Ed Anger

I love the ITT commercials with the fine print in tiny type:

Credits unlikely to transfer

Jaron

Quote from: Ed Anger on August 04, 2009, 02:02:05 PM
I love the ITT commercials with the fine print in tiny type:

Credits unlikely to transfer

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Winner of THE grumbler point.

Caliga

Well yeah, nobody is ever going to accept any 'credits' from ITT, except maybe another scam school.

Strix

New York's University system (SUNY) does the same thing. If you go to a New York Community College and either get an Associates Degree or join a 2+2 program (two years at the CC but no degree than two years at a University) plus have at least a 3.0 GPA than you are guaranteed admission and acceptance as a transfer student to a four year program. Some of the CC schools even had 2+2 programs with schools like Colgate.

It's better for parents and students because a lot of the better SUNY schools won't accept Freshmen and Sophomores into their programs. So, why pay the higher cost to take General ED classes if you don't have to do so.   
"I always cheer up immensely if an attack is particularly wounding because I think, well, if they attack one personally, it means they have not a single political argument left." - Margaret Thatcher

Ed Anger

Quote from: Caliga on August 04, 2009, 02:11:57 PM
Well yeah, nobody is ever going to accept any 'credits' from ITT, except maybe another scam school.

I love the Criminal Justice degrees. ITT, producing Farva's for the Police.