Girl sues her college because ... she can't find a job

Started by Jaron, August 04, 2009, 04:09:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jaron

What the FUCK is this about? It isn't her school's job to find her a job and I wouldn't be bragging about a 2.8. :P

NEW YORK (CNN) -- A recent college graduate is suing her alma mater for $72,000 -- the full cost of her tuition and then some -- because she cannot find a job.

Trina Thompson has sued her alma mater, Monroe College of New York.

Trina Thompson, 27, of the Bronx, graduated from New York's Monroe College in April with a bachelor of business administration degree in information technology.

On July 24, she filed suit against the college in Bronx Supreme Court, alleging that Monroe's "Office of Career Advancement did not help me with a full-time job placement. I am also suing them because of the stress I have been going through."

The college responded that it offers job-search support to all its students.

In her complaint, Thompson says she seeks $70,000 in reimbursement for her tuition and $2,000 to compensate for the stress of her three-month job search.

As Thompson sees it, any reasonable employer would pounce on an applicant with her academic credentials, which include a 2.7 grade-point average and a solid attendance record. But Monroe's career-services department has put forth insufficient effort to help her secure employment, she claims.

"They're supposed to say, 'I got this student, her attendance is good, her GPA is all right -- can you interview this person?' They're not doing that," she said.

Thompson said she has fulfilled her end of the job-search bargain, peppering companies listed on Monroe's e-recruiting site with cover letters, résumés and phone calls. But no more than two employers have responded to her outreach, and those leads have borne no fruit.

Her complaint adds, "The office of career advancement information technology counselor did not make sure their Monroe e-recruiting clients call their graduates that recently finished college for an interview to get a job placement. They have not tried hard enough to help me."

She suggested that Monroe's Office of Career Advancement shows preferential treatment to students with excellent grades. "They favor more toward students that got a 4.0. They help them more out with the job placement," she said.

Monroe College released a statement saying that "while it is clear that no college, especially in this economy, can guarantee employment, Monroe College remains committed to working with all its students, including Ms. Thompson, who graduated only three months ago, to prepare them for careers and to support them during their job search."

Thompson says she has not hired an attorney to represent her because she cannot afford one. When she filed her complaint, she also filed a "poor person order," which exempts her from filing fees associated with the lawsuit.

Asked whether she would advise other college graduates facing job woes to sue their alma maters, Thompson said yes.
"It doesn't make any sense: They went to school for four years, and then they come out working at McDonald's and Payless. That's not what they planned."

For what it is worth, I graduated with a 3.9 and I'm still unemployed. Should I be looking for a lawyer instead of a job?
Winner of THE grumbler point.

BVN

She expects her school to find her a job?  :lmfao:

Maybe she should have been better educated about what role the school plays in society. Schools are there to give you an education, not a job...

Bluebook

Not to mention that publicity like this is invaluable in her efforts to find a future employer. I mean, who wouldnt want to hire someone as litigation-prone as this girl?

Caliga

0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Monoriu

Josquius

Maybe her university made some promises about helping her get a job? That's the only way I could see this working out.
██████
██████
██████

merithyn

Quote from: Bluebook on August 04, 2009, 04:39:10 AM
Not to mention that publicity like this is invaluable in her efforts to find a future employer. I mean, who wouldnt want to hire someone as litigation-prone as this girl?

First thing I thought of.

Boss: What's that applicant's name again?
Secretary: Trina Thompson
Boss: Where's she from?
Secretary: The Bronx
Boss: Oh HELL no! Next!
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

Caliga

Quote from: Tyr on August 04, 2009, 05:29:49 AM
Maybe her university made some promises about helping her get a job? That's the only way I could see this working out.
Alot of people/organizations make bullshit promises, but that's no reason to sue them.

Martinus

She is named Trina and lives in Bronx. I have: prejudiced suspicions.  :cool:

Caliga

Part of the issue no doubt is the fact that the applicant market is now oversaturated with people seeking IT jobs, but lacking any meaningful experience.

Back when I got into IT a decade ago, there were far more jobs than qualified people to do them.

It's still easy to get a good job in IT if you actually have experience, but very hard if you have none whatsoever, like her.

Martinus

Quote from: Caliga on August 04, 2009, 06:39:00 AM
Quote from: Tyr on August 04, 2009, 05:29:49 AM
Alot of people/organizations make bullshit promises, but that's no reason to sue them.

Actually, it is. Of course, I'd assume there would be some "average consumer" test used to confirm whether an average person without a professional knowledge could have a reasonable expectation to rely on such an information or it was obvious that it was a "mere puff", but actually a large chunk of consumer legislation is aimed at preventing companies from making baseless bullshit statements when selling their products.

merithyn

And a GPA of 2.8 compared to those with a 3.5 or higher. When 300 people are applying for one job, I can't imagine that little bit of information is going to help the girl's cause.

Isn't the unemployment rate over 9% now? She really shouldn't quibble about a job at Payless just at the moment. She may be lucky if she should get that.

Quote from: Martinus on August 04, 2009, 06:45:50 AM
Actually, it is. Of course, I'd assume there would be some "average consumer" standard employed to judge whether the information was presented as a mere puff or was an actual misrepresentation, but actually a large chunk of consumer legislation is aimed at preventing companies from making baseless bullshit statements when selling their products.

I've a feeling that if this had any basis at all, her lack of funds wouldn't stop a lawyer from stepping up to help her out for a percentage of the take when all is said and done. 
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

Caliga

Quote from: Martinus on August 04, 2009, 06:45:50 AM
Actually, it is. Of course, I'd assume there would be some "average consumer" test used to confirm whether an average person without a professional knowledge could have a reasonable expectation to rely on such an information or it was obvious that it was a "mere puff", but actually a large chunk of consumer legislation is aimed at preventing companies from making baseless bullshit statements when selling their products.
When I said "that's no reason to sue them", I meant "only an asshole or a Jew sues someone for breaking a bullshit promise that a retarded Puerto Rican could see is completely transparent." :)

P.S. Hi there Meri :hug:

Josephus

It's typical of kids today. Spoilt by their parents. Expecting to get what they want when they want.

Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Caliga

As an addendum to what Jos just said, when I was a recruiter I used to *hate* doing interviews in the April to June period because I'd end up with so many snot-nosed kids who were all "LOL I just got a BA in computer science so where's MAH $60K JERB."  :rolleyes: