Girl sues her college because ... she can't find a job

Started by Jaron, August 04, 2009, 04:09:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Malthus

Quote from: Caliga on August 04, 2009, 11:36:04 AM
Quote from: Malthus on August 04, 2009, 11:33:23 AM
Not just networking.

In law, what school you went to (and how well you did there) is very important in getting your all-important first position ("articling" here in Canada). Thereafter, no-one cares in the least - it is all about experience.
I kinda see that as a function of networking.  Probably the senior partners went to elite schools, so they favor others who did as well.  They want their firm stocked with elite grads so they can position it as an elite firm.

There is that. But as well, there is the perception that the top law schools are very difficult to get into, thus selecting for better employment picks.

In Canada at least, the financial component isn't as significant as the difficulty of gaining entry - the top schools generally have ten times or more as many applicants as they accept. Thus a "B" average from a top school counts for more than an "A" average from a lower-ranking school, where both are graded to the curve. 
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Barrister

In law, what school you went to (and how well you did there) is very important in getting your all-important first position ("articling" here in Canada).

Not at all, and you know it.  The difference in quality between all Canadian schools is pretty narrow.  U of T might give you a slight edge in getting a Bay Street job, but it's up for debate whether it makes the dramatically higher tuition worthwhile.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Barrister

Quote from: Malthus on August 04, 2009, 11:40:23 AM
In Canada at least, the financial component isn't as significant as the difficulty of gaining entry - the top schools generally have ten times or more as many applicants as they accept.

That is true for all schools.  U of M law has a similar stat.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Malthus

Quote from: Barrister on August 04, 2009, 11:40:47 AM
In law, what school you went to (and how well you did there) is very important in getting your all-important first position ("articling" here in Canada).

Not at all, and you know it.  The difference in quality between all Canadian schools is pretty narrow.  U of T might give you a slight edge in getting a Bay Street job, but it's up for debate whether it makes the dramatically higher tuition worthwhile.

Well, my only experience is with Bay Street jobs, where "what school you went to" is, I can say from actual knowledge, a very important consideration.

The "actual quality" of the different schools is quite irrelevant, the issue is what employers are looking for, not how good the schools are.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

alfred russel

I've done some on campus interviews, and my attitude became that it is much better to recruit only at the better schools. I never want to go recruit at a school that isn't top 30 or a flagship state school again--not that there aren't good candidates at other schools, but the consistency isn't there and it makes the job of recruiting much more of a pain in the ass.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Darth Wagtaros

PDH!

crazy canuck

Quote from: Caliga on August 04, 2009, 11:36:04 AM
I kinda see that as a function of networking.  Probably the senior partners went to elite schools, so they favor others who did as well.  They want their firm stocked with elite grads so they can position it as an elite firm.

I think that has a lot to do with it.  As alumni I help fund raise and do some teaching from time to time.  It is natural for me to look more favourably on students with excellent grades from that school.  I know what I am getting or at least I have a better idea of what I am getting then someone who applies from a school I dont know anything about.

Since most people doing hiring in this area graduated from either UBC or U of T those schools will necessarily be preferred.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Malthus on August 04, 2009, 11:44:04 AM
The "actual quality" of the different schools is quite irrelevant, the issue is what employers are looking for, not how good the schools are.

Agreed.

BuddhaRhubarb

lame. The school should sue her for not keeping up with academic standards and failing to get a job.
:p

alfred russel

Quote from: Darth Wagtaros on August 04, 2009, 11:54:21 AM
Yeah, stay away from the proles.

It isn't about avoiding proles--just misspellings in resumes and really awkward interviews.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Caliga

Quote from: alfred russel on August 04, 2009, 11:45:51 AM
I've done some on campus interviews, and my attitude became that it is much better to recruit only at the better schools. I never want to go recruit at a school that isn't top 30 or a flagship state school again--not that there aren't good candidates at other schools, but the consistency isn't there and it makes the job of recruiting much more of a pain in the ass.
I had the misfortune of doing on-campus interviews at Spencerian College, which is a for-profit school probably similar to this 'Monroe College' outfit. :bleeding:
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

merithyn

What's interesting is that top-notch schools will often take transfer students from community colleges or lesser-known schools because so many of their first- and second-year students dropped out. The transfer students can get the "ivy league" diploma at half the cost by going to a community college first.
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

Caliga

Quote from: merithyn on August 04, 2009, 12:48:42 PM
What's interesting is that top-notch schools will often take transfer students from community colleges or lesser-known schools because so many of their first- and second-year students dropped out. The transfer students can get the "ivy league" diploma at half the cost by going to a community college first.
:huh: I don't think the dropout rate at the Ivys is especially high.  I know it isn't at Harvard... but then again Harvard is easy.  The only thing hard about Harvard College is getting in.

I think alot of the elite non-Ivy League schools are alot more challenging, e.g. U. Chicago, Johns Hopkins, etc.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

crazy canuck

Taking a pretty big risk assuming you can transfer in....

Savonarola

Quote from: crazy canuck on August 04, 2009, 12:55:04 PM

Taking a pretty big risk assuming you can transfer in....

And that all your credits will transfer.  The University of Michigan and Notre Dame didn't accept all classes from Community Colleges back when I was looking at colleges.
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock