Girl sues her college because ... she can't find a job

Started by Jaron, August 04, 2009, 04:09:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Caliga

Hell, Princesca transferred from one graduate school to another at BU and had trouble getting some of her credits accepted. :blink:
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

merithyn

The University of Illinois - Champaign/Urbana is one of the top engineering schools in the country. (Ranked in the top five last I checked, but that was a couple of years ago.) Anyway, their admissions folks said that they're almost desperate for transfer students at the junior level in that program. The application process is no less rigorous, but the first two years of classes are taken elsewhere, usually at a community college.

Dunno if that would apply to schools like Harvard, but the more rigorous programs like Georgia Tech and UIUC seem to embrace it.
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

merithyn

Quote from: Savonarola on August 04, 2009, 01:03:59 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on August 04, 2009, 12:55:04 PM
Taking a pretty big risk assuming you can transfer in....

And that all your credits will transfer.  The University of Michigan and Notre Dame didn't accept all classes from Community Colleges back when I was looking at colleges.

Depends on the program and the community college. Most universities that I've looked at (granted, most were in Iowa and Illinois) have a reciprocal program with their local community colleges. You have to meet their guidelines (get a certain GPA, take certain classes, etc.) but if you do so, it's unusual NOT to get into their tougher programs. Again, they have to meet the same rigorous guidelines as incoming Freshmen, but it's much easier to get in that way if you do, and it costs considerably less.

merithyn

Quote from: crazy canuck on August 04, 2009, 01:20:49 PM
Why are they desperate Meri?

To keep their numbers up. A lot of Freshmen and Sophomores drop out once they hit the higher-level classes.

crazy canuck

Quote from: merithyn on August 04, 2009, 01:20:40 PM
Quote from: Savonarola on August 04, 2009, 01:03:59 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on August 04, 2009, 12:55:04 PM
Taking a pretty big risk assuming you can transfer in....

And that all your credits will transfer.  The University of Michigan and Notre Dame didn't accept all classes from Community Colleges back when I was looking at colleges.

Depends on the program and the community college. Most universities that I've looked at (granted, most were in Iowa and Illinois) have a reciprocal program with their local community colleges. You have to meet their guidelines (get a certain GPA, take certain classes, etc.) but if you do so, it's unusual NOT to get into their tougher programs. Again, they have to meet the same rigorous guidelines as incoming Freshmen, but it's much easier to get in that way if you do, and it costs considerably less.

I think that would be very unusual.  I know of no universities in Canada that have a reciprocal program with anyone in the way you have described it.  Further, I dont know of many Universities that would formally admit that the first two years of their undergraduate program was equivalent to that of a junior community college.

crazy canuck

Quote from: merithyn on August 04, 2009, 01:22:45 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on August 04, 2009, 01:20:49 PM
Why are they desperate Meri?

To keep their numbers up. A lot of Freshmen and Sophomores drop out once they hit the higher-level classes.

That is usually what happens.  That is why the number of seats are reduced in upper levels.  Usually competition is fierce to get those spots.

Caliga

Quote from: crazy canuck on August 04, 2009, 01:23:24 PMI think that would be very unusual.  I know of no universities in Canada that have a reciprocal program with anyone in the way you have described it.  Further, I dont know of many Universities that would formally admit that the first two years of their undergraduate program was equivalent to that of a junior community college.
I've not heard of it either, but I think it's weird that you would expect Canadian higher ed to be identical to what we have here.  :huh:

garbon

Quote from: merithyn on August 04, 2009, 01:18:07 PM
Dunno if that would apply to schools like Harvard, but the more rigorous programs like Georgia Tech and UIUC seem to embrace it.

Well it is certainly not the case at Princeton. All transfers immediately become freshmen again.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

garbon

Quote from: Caliga on August 04, 2009, 01:27:17 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on August 04, 2009, 01:23:24 PMI think that would be very unusual.  I know of no universities in Canada that have a reciprocal program with anyone in the way you have described it.  Further, I dont know of many Universities that would formally admit that the first two years of their undergraduate program was equivalent to that of a junior community college.
I've not heard of it either, but I think it's weird that you would expect Canadian higher ed to be identical to what we have here.  :huh:

It is the case with the California schools.  You can do two years at junior college and then transfer into the UC system.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Caliga

I don't know of anyone who ever transferred in to Harvard, so I've got no idea how it works... one of my friends at MIT considered transferring to Harvard like midway through his bachelor's, but he never did it for whatever reason.

Ed Anger

My goddaughter took those required entry classes at a CC before she goes off to Ohio State. Why pay through the nose for a worthless art class when you can get it for 75 bucks a credit hour? Had no trouble transferring the credits.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Caliga

Quote from: Ed Anger on August 04, 2009, 01:29:06 PM
My goddaughter took those required entry classes at a CC before she goes off to Ohio State. Why pay through the nose for a worthless art class when you can get it for 75 bucks a credit hour? Had no trouble transferring the credits.
She is missing out on "the Ohio State Experience"(TM).  :(

Ed Anger

Quote from: Caliga on August 04, 2009, 01:31:40 PM
Quote from: Ed Anger on August 04, 2009, 01:29:06 PM
She is missing out on "the Ohio State Experience"(TM).  :(

She is going in the fall.  :huh:
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Barrister

Quote from: crazy canuck on August 04, 2009, 01:23:24 PM
I think that would be very unusual.  I know of no universities in Canada that have a reciprocal program with anyone in the way you have described it.  Further, I dont know of many Universities that would formally admit that the first two years of their undergraduate program was equivalent to that of a junior community college.

With respect you should look more closely.  It has become very common over the last maybe 10 years.  In Alberta people would do a year or two at say NAIT or Grant McEwan, then transfer to U of A.  Up here in Yukon, a lot of local kids will do their first year or two at Yukon College, then take those credits down south to finish a university degree.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.