News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Ohio, the heart of it all

Started by Ed Anger, August 04, 2009, 09:52:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ulmont

QuoteAn Ohio woman taken to a maternity ward in her wedding dress became a newlywed and a new mom on the same day.

Jamie Phillips says she felt contractions while her father walked her down the aisle during her wedding ceremony Saturday in Toledo in northwest Ohio, but she thought it was a false alarm. It wasn't until after her water broke at the reception that she was rushed to a hospital in Sylvania.
http://www.wsbtv.com/family/22713467/detail.html?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

Ed Anger

That was why I hurried up and got married. I didn't pay for an open bar to spend it in a maternity waiting room.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Ed Anger

QuoteTroy Mom: Pool Policy Discriminates
Mark Bruce, Reporter

Posted: 5:51 pm EDT March 30,2010Updated: 8:48 pm EDT March 30,2010
TROY, Ohio -- A battle is brewing in Troy over the word "family."

One woman called the city recreation department "prehistoric" after learning family passes to the city pool are only available for legally married husbands, wives and their children.

Amber Vahle said, "I would like someone to come to my my house and tell me we're not a family."

On Monday, Vahle said she went to buy a family membership to the Troy Aquatic Park for herself, her partner Jen, and her two children. She was turned down for the family rate because she and Jen are not married.

Vahle said, "It's disturbing that in today's society a mother and father are the only definition of a family. Who is the City of Troy to decide what a family is?"

The pool application states that a family membership is only available to a mother and father who are legally married and their children.

Troy Recreation Director Ken Siler said the city recreation board instituted the rule years ago. However, he said complaints last year led to a review by the the board and an attorney. Siler said the board and the attorney determined the policy was still appropriate.

He said, "We're not discriminating anyone from being a member. All memberships can be accommodated in some form or fashion."

Vahle said the money is not the point, even though the policy would cost her at least $100 more. She said it is unfair to parents all over the city.

"You have to think of single parents, people who don't want to get married and domestic partnerships," she said. "It's prehistoric."

Vahle said she plans to pursue legal action to get the policy changed. Policies vary at pools across the Miami Valley.

Representatives in Piqua and South Charleston said passes are available for families living the same household. A Tipp City employee said their rule requires parents to be married.

Caught the story on the news. The woman is a cow and she didn't come off the best in the news segment. Plus, she is a cow.

Zanza

Barrister

Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Ed Anger

Quote from: Zanza on March 31, 2010, 10:44:23 AM
She has a point though.

She does, but I want her rights trampled. As an example to all histrionic gays.

AnchorClanker

So "Ohio 2004 - We're Sorry" didn't pass muster with the DMV, huh?   :lol:
The final wisdom of life requires not the annulment of incongruity but the achievement of serenity within and above it.  - Reinhold Niebuhr

Ed Anger

Grey Fox

Quote from: Ed Anger on March 02, 2010, 11:24:00 AM
That was why I hurried up and got married. I didn't pay for an open bar to spend it in a maternity waiting room.

Yeah, instead you spent in the Emergency waiting room.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Ed Anger

Quote from: Grey Fox on March 31, 2010, 07:58:12 PM
Quote from: Ed Anger on March 02, 2010, 11:24:00 AM

Yeah, instead you spent in the Emergency waiting room.

wut?

Grey Fox

Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Ed Anger

Quote from: Grey Fox on April 01, 2010, 08:46:08 AM
You, leg, break.

You, inaccurate. Me, injured. a.t work. Win, workers! comp, lottery and settlement?

Try. Harder.

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.