Previous topic - Next topic

Darth Wagtaros

PDH!

ulmont

Quote from: Caliga on August 04, 2009, 07:39:13 AM
"LOL I just got a BA in computer science so where's MAH $60K JERB."  :rolleyes:

A BA in computer science?  :bleeding:

Caliga

*checks* Oh jeez, this is one of those fake for-profit colleges that exists solely to make money.  Now I know why she can't find a job... most employers consider these degrees worthless, because they're so easy to obtain.  Also, if she could only pull a 2.6 GPA or whatever it was at one of these degree mill schools, she's a complete and total fucktard who should be working at Payless or something.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Caliga

Quote from: ulmont on August 04, 2009, 08:13:03 AMA BA in computer science?  :bleeding:
:huh: I have a BA.

AFAIK Boston University's College of Liberal Arts only awards the B.A., regardless of major. ^_^

Malthus

Quote from: Caliga on August 04, 2009, 08:13:08 AM
*checks* Oh jeez, this is one of those fake for-profit colleges that exists solely to make money.  Now I know why she can't find a job... most employers consider these degrees worthless, because they're so easy to obtain.  Also, if she could only pull a 2.6 GPA or whatever it was at one of these degree mill schools, she's a complete and total fucktard who should be working at Payless or something.

Hey, she *found* a better job - suing this college.  :D
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Caliga

The thing is, having found that piece of information out, I have a little bit of sympathy for her, because all these types of schools do is repeat over and over again that they'll get you an OSSUM job and that they are really good at placing people.

The truth is, these schools are in reality sales organizations disguised as educational institutions.

I used to work with a guy in IT recruiting who is now 'Director of Admissions' at one such school in Nashville.  He has a B.A. in Business Management and his resume is nothing but sales jobs. :mellow:

Vince

Quote from: Caliga on August 04, 2009, 07:39:13 AM
As an addendum to what Jos just said, when I was a recruiter I used to *hate* doing interviews in the April to June period because I'd end up with so many snot-nosed kids who were all "LOL I just got a BA in computer science so where's MAH $60K JERB."  :rolleyes:

That was me out of college so hopeful and ready to find a good programming job then reality came crashing down on me.  :face:

Faeelin

Quote from: Caliga on August 04, 2009, 08:13:08 AM

True, but because it's one of those degree mills that prey on stupid people, I kind of want to see them get a comeuppance.

ulmont

Quote from: Caliga on August 04, 2009, 08:15:16 AM
:huh: I have a BA.

AFAIK Boston University's College of Liberal Arts only awards the B.A., regardless of major. ^_^

Which doesn't seem to be accredited by either the Computer Science Accreditation Commission (CSAC) of the Computing Sciences Accreditation Board (CSAB), or by the Computing Accreditation Commission (CAC) of the Accreditation Board for Engineering and Technology (ABET).

Caliga

Quote from: Vince on August 04, 2009, 08:19:02 AMThat was me out of college so hopeful and ready to find a good programming job then reality came crashing down on me.  :face:
More than once I got the line "Well, I paid alot of money for college, so I need you to pay me $50K minimum (or whatever) in return." :blink:

I don't need to do shit, greenhorn.  GTFO. :)

Caliga

Quote from: ulmont on August 04, 2009, 08:22:51 AM
Which doesn't seem to be accredited by either the Computer Science Accreditation Commission (CSAC) of the Computing Sciences Accreditation Board (CSAB), or by the Computing Accreditation Commission (CAC) of the Accreditation Board for Engineering and Technology (ABET).
I have a BA in History; I only minored in Computer Science.

But there is a large Computer Science department at that college of Boston U. and I find it impossible to believe that it is not accredited.  :huh:

ulmont

Quote from: Caliga on August 04, 2009, 08:25:13 AM
I have a BA in History; I only minored in Computer Science.

Ah.  I just find it a bit ridiculous to not get a science degree for a major that has science in the name.  It's like getting a BS in Modern art.

Quote from: Caliga on August 04, 2009, 08:25:13 AM
But there is a large Computer Science department at that college of Boston U. and I find it impossible to believe that it is not accredited.  :huh:

Their engineering programs are accredited by ABET, and the whole school is accredited by New England Association of Schools and Colleges, but the computer science program doesn't seem to have anything additional.

Caliga

Quote from: ulmont on August 04, 2009, 08:28:03 AMTheir engineering programs are accredited by ABET, and the whole school is accredited by New England Association of Schools and Colleges, but the computer science program doesn't seem to have anything additional.
Are you specifically looking at "College of Liberal Arts"?  The name changed in 1997 or so to "College of Arts and Sciences".

There is a separate College of Engineering, too.

As I thought I said, everyone who attended CLA got a BA no matter what their major was.

ulmont

Quote from: Caliga on August 04, 2009, 08:29:40 AM
Are you specifically looking at "College of Liberal Arts"?  The name changed in 1997 or so to "College of Arts and Sciences".

There is a separate College of Engineering, too.

I looked at all ABET-accredited computer science degrees, and then searched generally inside www.cs.bu.edu.

Vince

Quote from: Caliga on August 04, 2009, 08:23:52 AM
More than once I got the line "Well, I paid alot of money for college, so I need you to pay me $50K minimum (or whatever) in return." :blink:

I don't need to do shit, greenhorn.  GTFO. :)

Hell out of college I would have been happy with 30k with my Computer Science BS.  I just cracked 50k last year after six years in my field.   I just can't get why some of these people have such high salary demands out of college.