News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

2024 US Presidential Elections Megathread

Started by Syt, May 25, 2023, 02:23:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimmy olsen

Forgot about this thread, transferring this post from the Trump thread to here.

https://x.com/SimonWDC/status/1811799775550841202
QuoteWith good new polling over the past few days Biden is now at 271 in the 538 election forecast model 3/

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Sheilbh on July 11, 2024, 07:24:55 PMFar worse.

Because it's clear from all the polling that this is something that's a concern for voters and Biden's party is divided. I'm also not sure they have covered themselves in glory letting it get to this stage.

My own feeling is that it's very, very sad for Biden on an individual but pretty grim that senior Democrats, White House aides, his inner circle let it get to this stage. Because - tragically - I don't think there's a dignified way out any more.

Biden talks about his record and feels he is entitled to run because of that - and it is impressive and would be remembered. But ultimately voters can't get past these gaffes and the questions of competence (in all senses) to listen to the stuff about the record. And I think that'll also be the historic memory - not the impressive first term, but this ending.

He's always been like this

https://x.com/ChrisDJackson/status/1811531634321068066?t=YqmvsnKQjV3qNbUzv-ahow&s=19
QuoteFlashback 2008: Senator Biden introduces Senator Obama as "Barack America."
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
1 Karma Chameleon point

Tamas

Tim, stop it. Was he also staring blankly and talking very slowly when doing it in 2008?

Josquius

Quote from: Tamas on July 13, 2024, 02:23:25 AMTim, stop it. Was he also staring blankly and talking very slowly when doing it in 2008?
Overall he has definitely declined but it is fair to say the current fuss focussed on the misspeaking is just Joe as usual.

I do think he's getting treat harsher than he deserves over his speaking problems. I can sympathise as a shit speaker.
But with the way things he absolutely is being painted this way and it's sticking. It is clear he should step aside.
██████
██████
██████

Sheilbh

Quote from: jimmy olsen on July 12, 2024, 07:12:55 PMHe's always been like this
I know that. I just don't think it matters (and if anything comes across as gaslighting to voters' clear concern).
Let's bomb Russia!

frunk

Quote from: Sheilbh on July 13, 2024, 07:20:02 AM
I know that. I just don't think it matters (and if anything comes across as gaslighting to voters' clear concern).

I think it does matter.  There's a narrative being built up that Biden is significantly less capable now than in the past, where both the magnitude and severity of that decline is being severely overstated.

Sheilbh

But as I say his party's split, the public clearly consider it an issue and regardless of the level of decline it is visible. I think that's the reality the Democrats are in now.

On that narrative I think we're in a spiral. I think the end is probably inevitable and obvious and for everyone's sake it would be best to get there quickly and try to do it with some dignity for Biden.

There are huge problems with it, I admit. If Biden steps down then every senior Democrat will (rightly) be asked if they ever had any suspicions, how was he in private meetings, when did they know and why didn't they raise it publicly. I think it could even be challenging if it's framed as a health issue to carry on as President (this is possibly why you maybe need elected Democrats to speak out so he can do it in the LBJ way - "it's clear I don't have the support of my party"). But I think all of those problems are better than carrying on as currently - and hoping either it'll just go away or that it's possible to convince the public what they can see isn't happening/doesn't matter.
Let's bomb Russia!

HVC

"He's been in a cognitive decline for 20 years" doesn't seem like a great selling point :D
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

garbon

Quote from: HVC on July 13, 2024, 08:11:44 AM"He's been in a cognitive decline for 20 years" doesn't seem like a great selling point :D

Given that isn't the argument...
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Norgy

Biden being the safe option is simply scary.

Tamas

Quote from: frunk on July 13, 2024, 08:02:04 AM
Quote from: Sheilbh on July 13, 2024, 07:20:02 AM

I think it does matter.  There's a narrative being built up that Biden is significantly less capable now than in the past, where both the magnitude and severity of that decline is being severely overstated.

Not so sure. In 2020 he had no trouble with Trump in their debate. Now he was a trainwreck.

Grey Fox

His cognitive decline might be at the expected rate for an 80 year old man. What I find extremely worrying is that he seems extremely weak and easily tired.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

viper37

Quote from: Grey Fox on July 13, 2024, 02:36:22 PMHis cognitive decline might be at the expected rate for an 80 year old man. What I find extremely worrying is that he seems extremely weak and easily tired.
Early form of dementia.  Which is why they tested him for Parkinson.  Can't differentiate both without a deep brain scan, and he likely won't submit to this.

And not all 80 yo have cognitive decline like that.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Legbiter

Quote from: Norgy on July 13, 2024, 09:51:26 AMBiden being the safe option is simply scary.

It's quite funny, there is no conceivable way a very visibly senile 81 year old would ever be trusted with high office in national politics in the Nordic countries. It would rapidly be remarked on by members of the public when interacting with him and his own party would swiftly remove him.

Still, a Jill Biden regency will be preferable to perhaps a majority of Americans when they vote. :hmm: It's going to be a coin toss basically.

I also think the surrounding system has now had at least 2 presidential terms to adjust to a weak and fickle president. Biden's term was quite good, the administration was more Trump than Trump ever was in terms of domestic industrial policy for instance. A mummified second term Biden will probably be good for the US. It's an incredible flex if you think about it. Our consul is a vegetable but we're still gonna crush it. :hmm:
Posted using 100% recycled electrons.

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Grey Fox on July 13, 2024, 02:36:22 PMHis cognitive decline might be at the expected rate for an 80 year old man. What I find extremely worrying is that he seems extremely weak and easily tired.

He's working full days as president of the United States. Of course he's going to be tired by that.

Much younger men have been tired by that. Bush 43 went to bed a 9pm everyday and he was 55 when he became president.

1 Karma Chameleon point