News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

2024 US Presidential Elections Megathread

Started by Syt, May 25, 2023, 02:23:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syt

https://www.cnbc.com/2024/07/13/elon-musk-endorses-trump-after-shots-were-fired-at-former-president-.html

QuoteElon Musk endorses Donald Trump shortly after ex-president injured by shots fired at rally

Elon Musk posted on X that he "fully" endorses Donald Trump moments after the former president and presumptive Republican nominee was rushed off stage by secret service members following gunshots at a rally in Pennsylvania on Saturday.

"I fully endorse President Trump and hope for his rapid recovery," Musk wrote on X, which he owns.

Trump was taken to a local medical facility, where he is receiving care. His spokesman said the former president "will be fine." Trump had what appeared to be blood on the side of his head and his ear.

In a separate post, Musk, the CEO of Tesla and defense contractor SpaceX, shared a photo showing Trump pumping his fist into the air with the American flag behind him and with secret service members scrambling to protect him. Musk also compared Trump to Theodore Roosevelt, who survived an assassination attempt while campaigning for president in 1912.

One spectator from the rally is dead, and a second is in serious condition, according to the district attorney in Butler County, where the rally took place. The shooter is dead, NBC News confirms.

While Musk hadn't directly endorsed Trump prior to Saturday's event, he had made clear that he was opposing President Joe Biden's return to the White House. He claimed in a post in March that he was not going to donate money to either candidate for president.

Musk met with Trump earlier this year at his Mar-a-Lago club in Palm Beach and said at Tesla's 2024 annual shareholder meeting that he has "had some conversations" with Trump. Musk also said at that event that Trump "does call me out of the blue for no reason."

On Friday, Bloomberg reported that Musk has donated a "sizable" but undisclosed amount to a pro-Trump super PAC called America PAC.

Musk is the wealthiest person in the world, with an estimated net worth of about $250 billion, according to Forbes.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

The Minsky Moment

So the CCP has finally announced its choice.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Norgy

Is anyone surprised? When not busy slating Fauci, Musk has always found time for other weird ideas.

Admiral Yi

Valmy

Quote from: jimmy olsen on July 13, 2024, 07:59:13 PM
Quote from: Grey Fox on July 13, 2024, 02:36:22 PMHis cognitive decline might be at the expected rate for an 80 year old man. What I find extremely worrying is that he seems extremely weak and easily tired.

He's working full days as president of the United States. Of course he's going to be tired by that.

Much younger men have been tired by that. Bush 43 went to bed a 9pm everyday and he was 55 when he became president.

Well exactly. Which is why he probably shouldn't be running for President. This is not an old man's job.

Quote from: jimmy olsen on July 12, 2024, 07:12:55 PMHe's always been like this

Believe me, I know. He always was good for hilarious gaffs and misspeaking. But it would usually be in the middle of an otherwise well delivered speech and Joe always had this swagger about him that inspired confidence. But he doesn't have that anymore.

But this isn't about him. Maybe Biden is a genius micro-manager who has the government of the nation under his puppet-master control or maybe he plays shuffleboard all day and the government runs on his staff and cabinet. I don't know. But you know what? It doesn't matter. I do not care about how senile or not senile Joe Biden is.

This is about keeping the country safe from Donald Trump and his supporters. It was obvious years ago that Biden running for re-election put everything in jeopardy, he was polling well below generic Democrats in 2022, and with the whole Israel-Palestine thing that was only getting more problematic. But we are doing it anyway and while Joe Biden still had the fortitude to run a pretty decent campaign in 2020, he has only made the situation worse in 2024.

So hey let's run Biden again and turn the country over to Donald Trump and the Republicans when running somebody else might have saved the day.

So don't come to me with bullshit about how his brain is actually great, because I do not care. He needs to win. I don't care if he gets to leave office in 2025 with a functioning brain or not.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Norgy

I am just putting this out here: Henry Ford had Dearborn Independent. Musk has X or Twitter.

A lesson for the future is not letting car tycoons own media outlets.
I am sure some Tesla owners will find "The Protocols Of The Elders of Zion" in their spankingly clean new car made by non-unionised labour.

Crazy_Ivan80

Quote from: Norgy on July 16, 2024, 10:03:11 AMI am just putting this out here: Henry Ford had Dearborn Independent. Musk has X or Twitter.

I am sure some Tesla owners will find "The Protocols Of The Elders of Zion" in their spankingly clean new car made by non-unionised labour.

I hope not since I'm not a big fan of russian literature...

Syt

Quote from: Norgy on July 16, 2024, 10:03:11 AMI am just putting this out here: Henry Ford had Dearborn Independent. Musk has X or Twitter.

Unrelated side note: apparently 65,000 coffee cups have disappeared from the Tesla factory in Germany. Which would be ca. 5 cups per worker.

https://www.dw.com/en/germany-tesla-factory-missing-65000-coffee-mugs/a-69628263

QuoteWhen Tesla plant manager Andre Thierig took the podium toward the end of a rowdy staff meeting, Germany's Handelsblatt newspaper reported, he did not mention the bitter conflict between the workers' council and the IG Metall union that had dominated discussion until then.

"I'm just going to give you a figure," Thierig said at the Tesla factory, which employs some 12,000 people in a sprawling complex southeast of Berlin. "We've bought 65,000 coffee mugs since we started production here. 65.000! Statistically speaking, each of you already has five Ikea coffee cups at home.

"I'm really tired of approving orders to buy more coffee cups," he said to laughter and applause, promising there would be no cutlery in break rooms if the thefts didn't stop.

:lol:
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Valmy

Is this some kind of attempt at sabotage because of Tesla's anti-Union policies or do Germans just steal shit from work?
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

HVC

Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Syt

Quote from: Valmy on July 16, 2024, 12:03:55 PMIs this some kind of attempt at sabotage because of Tesla's anti-Union policies or do Germans just steal shit from work?

Probably the latter :P (I don't think it's common, esp. on this scale, but usually speaks to how happy you are with your employer)
—Stephen Jay Gould

Jacob

"My job sucks, my boss is a jerk, and I have little hope for things getting better... but at least I can get a small jolt of satisfaction from stealing this coffee cup."

Baron von Schtinkenbutt

Quote from: Jacob on July 16, 2024, 12:26:14 PM"My job sucks, my boss is a jerk, and I have little hope for things getting better... but at least I can get a small jolt of satisfaction from stealing this coffee cup."

Oddly enough, the only place I've worked so far where I thought this didn't provide coffee cups (or coffee...). :P <_<

Iormlund

In my experience factory workers will steal anything that is not bolted down (and often even that). Not just from their employer, also from each other.

Sheilbh

Quote from: Baron von Schtinkenbutt on July 16, 2024, 12:46:04 PMOddly enough, the only place I've worked so far where I thought this didn't provide coffee cups (or coffee...). :P <_<
Same :lol:

I do have some mugs from previous employees and I'm not sure how I got them but I don't think it was just theft. I feel there was some expectation you could take them home :ph34r:
Let's bomb Russia!