News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

2024 US Presidential Elections Megathread

Started by Syt, May 25, 2023, 02:23:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Josquius

Even if Biden was perfectly healthy, he is doing a terrible job of pinning the blame for inflation where it belongs.
Reading a fair bit that the price rises are being labelled as his fault.
██████
██████
██████

Admiral Yi

Barrister

Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Grey Fox

Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Valmy

Quote from: Admiral Yi on July 12, 2024, 03:01:28 AMWhere does the blame truly lie?

It's complicated. But the notion the current president conjured current global economic conditions out of thin air is a tad absurd. Bill Clinton's doing.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

viper37

Quote from: Grey Fox on July 12, 2024, 10:13:06 AM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on July 12, 2024, 03:01:28 AMWhere does the blame truly lie?

Greed, well Capitalism.
Inflation predates capitalism.  And greed is part of human nature. 
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Valmy

Quote from: Grey Fox on July 12, 2024, 10:13:06 AM

Greed, well Capitalism.

Well I think those are two related issues.

One is that the US economy (and maybe the world economy? IDK) is increasingly being concentrated into the hands of a few cartels and monopolies that are working hard to use their market share to suppress wages and increase prices. So that's a problem. So people who want to point to greed certainly have some things to point out.

On the other hand we just are (were?) in an inflationary moment in the world economy due to the fallout from Covid. Governments spent a lot to offset the impacts of the lockdowns and supply chains were disrupted, hence inflation.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Norgy

I would be interested in knowing where exactly to "pin" inflation. I just love simple explanations. The less factors considered, the better.

The Minsky Moment

I don't think the inflation was a huge mystery, it was global phenomenon, arising from the impact of the pandemic and the subsequent lifting of restrictions.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Valmy on July 12, 2024, 12:42:01 PMOn the other hand we just are (were?) in an inflationary moment in the world economy due to the fallout from Covid. Governments spent a lot to offset the impacts of the lockdowns and supply chains were disrupted, hence inflation.

This.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Sheilbh

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on July 12, 2024, 02:23:18 PMI don't think the inflation was a huge mystery, it was global phenomenon, arising from the impact of the pandemic and the subsequent lifting of restrictions.
Also major fossil fuel exporter invading major agriculture centre.

I think there is also evidence, in the US, of sellers' inflation/"greedflation". I think it's less a factor in Europe.
Let's bomb Russia!

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Sheilbh on July 12, 2024, 02:29:23 PMI think there is also evidence, in the US, of sellers' inflation/"greedflation". I think it's less a factor in Europe.

Maybe but if there's a difference it isn't clearly reflected in the overall rates in the two areas.
Invoking my inner Yi, I'd say there's a very fine line between "greedflation" and businesses in a market economy setting prices reflective of actual market supply and demand conditions. Perhaps so fine it's not really a line at all.
--Joan Robinson

grumbler

Quote from: Norgy on July 12, 2024, 01:35:55 PMI would be interested in knowing where exactly to "pin" inflation. I just love simple explanations. The less factors considered, the better.

Who the hell are you?

:D
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Norgy on July 12, 2024, 01:35:55 PMI would be interested in knowing where exactly to "pin" inflation. I just love simple explanations. The less factors considered, the better.

Excess money supply.

PJL

Quote from: Admiral Yi on July 12, 2024, 04:30:25 PM

Excess money supply.

Not necessarily, it could be increased money velocity.