And we're back!

Main Menu

History Trivia Thread Reducks

Started by Admiral Yi, July 22, 2009, 03:15:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sheilbh

Quote from: Ideologue on February 17, 2012, 03:12:22 PM
My cat is a manx. :)
Very odd place the Isle of Man.  The tail-less cats are a bit weird.  There's the Fairy Bridges too, where you're meant to greet the fairies as you cross.  According to my nan if you don't they follow you forever :mellow:

Also the last place in the UK (and I think Europe) to abolish corporal punishment.  My Manx family are still furious that 'human rights' means there's no more birching of shoplifters :(
Let's bomb Russia!

Ideologue

They should bring that back, really.  The administration of an instructive beating is far less spiritually damaging than imprisonment.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Sheilbh

Quote from: Ideologue on February 17, 2012, 04:11:03 PM
They should bring that back, really.  The administration of an instructive beating is far less spiritually damaging than imprisonment.
Well it was only for petty theft, so I think the other option was community service. 

From what I've been told the other problem was that the Manx also had a tendency to use it on young offenders  :ph34r:
Let's bomb Russia!

Maximus

HisMajestyBOB

Particularly teens in Catholic schoolgirl uniforms right? :perv:
Three lovely Prada points for HoI2 help

Solmyr

Quote from: Sheilbh on February 17, 2012, 04:02:15 PM
Quote from: Ideologue on February 17, 2012, 03:12:22 PM
My cat is a manx. :)
Very odd place the Isle of Man.  The tail-less cats are a bit weird.  There's the Fairy Bridges too, where you're meant to greet the fairies as you cross.  According to my nan if you don't they follow you forever :mellow:

Also the last place in the UK (and I think Europe) to abolish corporal punishment.  My Manx family are still furious that 'human rights' means there's no more birching of shoplifters :(

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UX8Dg4nW7lU

Eddie Teach

Quote from: HisMajestyBOB on February 18, 2012, 06:35:37 AM
Particularly teens in Catholic schoolgirl uniforms right? :perv:

Depends on the teen.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Darth Wagtaros

PDH!

Drakken

Since the floor's open.

How many French Kings directly died from playing real tennis (or jeu de paume), and who were they?

Ideologue

Is "real tennis" where you use a peasant as the ball?
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Drakken

HisMajestyBOB

Three lovely Prada points for HoI2 help

Drakken

Quote from: HisMajestyBOB on February 20, 2012, 03:06:13 AM
2, both named Louis.

You'll have to be more precise. ;)

Number is good, though. Two Kings of France died. But only one was a Louis.

Drakken

Answer:

- Louis X in 1316, from drinking a very cold drink after an exhausting game of real tennis. He died within days of pneumonia or pleurisy. By this account of his death, Louis X is widely considered the first real tennis player known by name.

- Charles VIII in 1498, after stricking his head on the lintel of a door while playing. He fell in a coma and died a few hours later.

Floor's open.

Caliga

Wilf Batty, a Tasmanian farmer, is famous for doing what in 1930?
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points