News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

History Trivia Thread Reducks

Started by Admiral Yi, July 22, 2009, 03:15:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Drakken

Quote from: Malthus on April 05, 2012, 09:30:21 AM
How about this, an easy one - the intricately carved Lewis Chessmen are one of the most famous treasures from the early medieval period ever discovered. The "warders" (their version of castles) display what prominent and unmistakable feature that vividly demonstrates the particularly Scandinavian heritage of the carvers?

They had carved Drakkars instead of Rooks?

Viking

Quote from: Malthus on April 05, 2012, 09:45:54 AM

I'm giving it to you  ;) - the warders are shown chewing on their shields (the sign of a berserker).

Berserkers would chew on their shields to use up some of that nervous energy they built up controlling their drug addled minds after eating the fly-shrooms.

First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Drakken

Quote from: Viking on April 05, 2012, 09:54:09 AM

I'm giving it to you  ;) - the warders are shown chewing on their shields (the sign of a berserker).

Berserkers would chew on their shields to use up some of that nervous energy they built up controlling their drug addled minds after eating the fly-shrooms.

Interesting. Kinda like Crystal Meth users who can't stop clentching or grinding their teeth so much that they end up screwing with their dentition? Odds are surviving berserkers had bad dentition, then.

Malthus

I dunno if it is yet known what motivated berserkers. The point of shield-chewing I would have thought was to demonstrate an intimidating level of violent insanity ...
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Malthus

Quote from: Drakken on April 05, 2012, 09:56:58 AM

Interesting. Kinda like Crystal Meth users who can't stop clentching or grinding their teeth so much that they end up screwing with their dentition? Odds are surviving berserkers had bad dentition, then.

I dunno if berserkers worried about dentition. Or surviving, for that matter.  :lol:
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Malthus

Viking

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amanita_muscaria

This is the mushroom they used, the sagas give the impresison that chewing on his shield was the only thing a berserker was good for (apart from killing lots of people in a suicidal charge) after eating the mushroom..

Anyways... the question is...

What event cause the invention of the socket musket?

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Viking

Quote from: Malthus on April 05, 2012, 10:03:01 AM
Quote from: Drakken on April 05, 2012, 09:56:58 AM

I dunno if berserkers worried about dentition. Or surviving, for that matter.  :lol:

Berserkur - literally means bear skin. Thought to be a magically induced skin shift into a bear leaving the berserker inveulnerable to enemy weapons. They didn't worry about surviving mainly because they thought they did and if they didn't they were pretty much assured of a fast track to Valhöll.

Malthus

Quote from: Viking on April 05, 2012, 10:05:48 AM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amanita_muscaria

This is the mushroom they used, the sagas give the impresison that chewing on his shield was the only thing a berserker was good for (apart from killing lots of people in a suicidal charge) after eating the mushroom..

Your source is far from definite on that ...

QuoteA single source for the notion that Vikings used A. muscaria to produce their berserker rages was first suggested by the Swedish professor Samuel Ödman in 1784.[102] Ödman based his theories on reports about the use of fly agaric among Siberian shamans. The notion has become widespread since the 19th century, but no contemporary sources mention this use or anything similar in their description of berserkers. Today, it is generally considered an urban legend or at best speculation that cannot be proven. Muscimol is generally a mild relaxant, but could create a range of reactions within a range of people.[103] It is possible that it could make a person incredibly angry, as well as make them "very jolly or sad, jump about, dance, sing or give way to great fright".[103]

Anyways... the question is...

What event cause the invention of the socket musket?

A clarification - you mean some single event, rather than "I can't fire my damn musket with a knife-hilt shoved down the barrel"?

Viking

Quote from: Malthus on April 05, 2012, 10:18:01 AM
A clarification - you mean some single event, rather than "I can't fire my damn musket with a knife-hilt shoved down the barrel"?

I'm talking about a specific case of mass "it took me longer to put in the plug than it took for the other guy to run to within stabbing distance".

Malthus

Quote from: Viking on April 05, 2012, 10:22:12 AM

I'm talking about a specific case of mass "it took me longer to put in the plug than it took for the other guy to run to within stabbing distance".

Ah, fair enough - that would indeed be awkward (well, briefly awkward)  :D

I dunno without looking it up.

Viking

Quote from: Malthus on April 05, 2012, 10:26:04 AM
Quote from: Viking on April 05, 2012, 10:22:12 AM

I'd accept the campaign as a good enough answer.
Ah, fair enough - that would indeed be awkward (well, briefly awkward)  :D

I dunno without looking it up.

I'd accept the campaign as a good enough answer.

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Razgovory on April 05, 2012, 11:07:13 AM
I was thinking they might be Valkyries.

Amazons had breasts too, ya know. ;)
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Malthus

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on April 05, 2012, 01:54:05 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on April 05, 2012, 11:07:13 AM
I was thinking they might be Valkyries.

Amazons had breasts too, ya know. ;)

Well, one each, anyway. They had the other removed so they could shoot the bow more easily.  ;)