News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

History Trivia Thread Reducks

Started by Admiral Yi, July 22, 2009, 03:15:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Viking

Quote from: Razgovory on December 28, 2012, 05:48:50 PM
I dunno, Tunis?

Tunis was founded as the islamic military camp after the conquest of north africa, it was chosen specifically to be a new city without traditions the muslims could be enticed into.

So, no, not Tunis and not Nicki Minaj.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Jacob

Razgovory

I don't know why I said Tunis.  I was thinking Tripoli, but I don't think that's right either.  It might help if I knew Greek.  I'm guessing that Diopolis means "ten cities".  Or "God City".  I dunno.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

mongers

"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Maladict

Caliga

0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Viking

Quote from: Jacob on December 28, 2012, 06:08:36 PM
Ceuta

... or Melila?

Both hispanicized romanized punic names. Neither is greek and neither is the right answer.

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Viking

Quote from: Razgovory on December 28, 2012, 06:09:31 PM
I don't know why I said Tunis.  I was thinking Tripoli, but I don't think that's right either.  It might help if I knew Greek.  I'm guessing that Diopolis means "ten cities".  Or "God City".  I dunno.

Tripoli, Libya is named after Tripoli in Lebanon and is often referred to as Tripoli of the west in both punic and arabic. The name today is a greek bastardardization of the original punic name.

Diopolis Megale literally means "City of the Great God" referring to Zeus as the Great God.

Viking

Quote from: Caliga on December 28, 2012, 06:50:45 PM
Istanbul?

Famous for having many names, yes, but Diopolis Megala isn't one of them.

Quote from: Maladict on December 28, 2012, 06:27:10 PM
Thebes?

I know my question is a trick question, but this answer is a trick answer. Then again Raz's answer was a trick answer as well. Thebes is not the answer to the question.

Quote from: mongers on December 28, 2012, 06:22:09 PM
Milan ?

Mediolanum means middle of the plain in latin iirc. Milan is a lombard bastardization of that.

Maladict

Quote from: Viking on December 28, 2012, 07:12:14 PM
I know my question is a trick question, but this answer is a trick answer.

Not sure what's tricky about it.  :huh:
We're talking Diospolis megale, yes? It's Thebes, or Luxor if you want to be pedantic about it.

Razgovory

Quote from: Viking on December 28, 2012, 07:05:27 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on December 28, 2012, 06:09:31 PM

Tripoli, Libya is named after Tripoli in Lebanon and is often referred to as Tripoli of the west in both punic and arabic. The name today is a greek bastardardization of the original punic name.

Diopolis Megale literally means "City of the Great God" referring to Zeus as the Great God.

I'm pretty sure it means "three cities".

Caliga

0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Razgovory

Quote from: Maladict on December 28, 2012, 07:23:15 PM

We're talking Diospolis megale, yes? It's Thebes, or Luxor if you want to be pedantic about it.

I gave up and looked.  It's something really obscure.

Viking

Quote from: Maladict on December 28, 2012, 07:23:15 PM

You have the floor. I couldn't accept Thebes as an answer since Luxor is the modern name and there were two Thebes.