And we're back!

Main Menu

History Trivia Thread Reducks

Started by Admiral Yi, July 22, 2009, 03:15:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jacob

Quote from: mongers on February 10, 2012, 09:31:48 PM
Quote from: Jacob on February 10, 2012, 08:06:17 PM
I expect you probably have seen IRL. You're also in the right geographical area, and you're correct - it's not to commemorate the Indian Mutiny.

Yeah, so you'd give me about a D-   :D

It's a good question as it's such a wel known object, I probably saw it about two years ago.

I'm a harsh marker. You're still getting an F, but I'll give you a chance to retake the test given that you're showing interest in the subject :bowler:

EDIT: On review I'm redacting my mark. You get a D on the strength of the "musical box" part, which is substantially correct.

Jacob

Quote from: Admiral Yi on February 10, 2012, 09:43:13 PM
A gift from French colonialists to some Indian ruler?

The French are not involved (but you are implying something about the subject, I believe). The involvement of "some Indian ruler" is correct.

D- with potential for a higher grade if you develop your analysis.

Jacob

The picture is of Tipu's Tiger - a mechanical musical instrument which, when played reproduces the sounds of a man moaning and screaming while being eaten by a tiger as well as the growls of the man-eating tiger.

The tiger was commissioned by Tibu Sultan, the ruler of Mysore around the year 1795. It is speculated that it was inspired by the death of Hugh Munro, killed by a tiger while on a hunting expedition in India. Hugh Munro's father was General Hector Munro, who had commanded a division in the second Anglo-Mysore war in which Tipu's father, Hyder Ali had been defeated.

The figure is on display at the Victoria & Albert museum in London.

Yi, you were on the right track as Tipu was allied with the French against the English. It is quite possible that Frenchmen visiting his court contributed to the construction, but it was Tipu himself who had it commissioned.

The wikipedia entry: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tipu's_Tiger

The floor is open.

Drakken

Let's revive this Frankenstein of a thread once more.

When the Turks attacked King Karl XII of Sweden staying at Bender on Feb. 1st 1713, the King and about fourty lifeguards managed to ward off thousands of Turkish soldiers, including archers and artillery, for seven hours straight. What happened that finally defeated the Swedes and allowed the Turks to seize the King and make him and his men prisoners?

Solmyr

The Swedes embraced multiculturalism?

Admiral Yi

The lifeguards demanded overtime?

Threviel

Threviel

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Drakken

Quote from: Solmyr on February 17, 2012, 10:33:08 AM
The Swedes embraced multiculturalism?

Oh the Swedes were embracing multiculturalism allright - and then they were by the Turks jumping on them to grab them and seize them.

Quote from: Threviel on February 17, 2012, 12:10:30 PM
No, wait, fire?

Well they were in a house, so fire did prompt the Swedes to react. And then something happened... which is the answer.

The Brain

The King and his men made for a different building but he tripped on his spurs and fell. Lt Åberg of the Upplanders threw himself on top of him to shield him and got a sabre cut to his head. The King was captured.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Admiral Yi

When the house caught on fire the heat made the lifeguards think they were in a sauna, so they all stripped off their armor and were easily overcome.

Syt

Quote from: Drakken on February 17, 2012, 10:31:49 AM
Let's revive this Frankenstein of a thread once more.

When the Turks attacked King Karl XII of Sweden staying at Bender on Feb. 1st 1713, the King and about fourty lifeguards managed to ward off thousands of Turkish soldiers, including archers and artillery, for seven hours straight. What happened that finally defeated the Swedes and allowed the Turks to seize the King and make him and his men prisoners?

They ran out of gunpowder?
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Drakken

Quote from: The Brain on February 17, 2012, 12:38:40 PM
The King and his men made for a different building but he tripped on his spurs and fell. Lt Åberg of the Upplanders threw himself on top of him to shield him and got a sabre cut to his head. The King was captured.

Bingo.

Karl XII got out of the building but tripped on his own spurs and fell down to get jumped by dozens Turks surrounding him. Game over. :nelson:

Threviel

Quote from: Drakken on February 17, 2012, 12:47:42 PM
Quote from: The Brain on February 17, 2012, 12:38:40 PM

Bingo.

Karl XII got out of the building but tripped on his own spurs and fell down to get jumped by dozens Turks seizing him. Game over. :nelson:

That fucker just didn't know when to quit.