Started by Admiral Yi, July 22, 2009, 03:15:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mongers

bump, someone else ask a question.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

CountDeMoney

Jacob

Alright - here's one to pass the time:

What is this item, what does it depict, and who had it made?

Extra points for elaborating on the events which may have inspired its manufacture.

Razgovory

That is a .Jpg file creating by you, Jacob.  You made it ask ask us questions in History Trivia thread.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Jacob

Quote from: Razgovory on February 10, 2012, 06:53:52 PM
That is a .Jpg file creating by you, Jacob.  You made it ask ask us questions in History Trivia thread.

One mark for amusement factor :lol:

Final Mark: 1/10

Grade: F

Anyone else?

Ed Anger

Quote from: Jacob on February 10, 2012, 06:47:57 PM

Extra points for elaborating on the events which may have inspired its manufacture.

Lettow fails casting the moon runes, dies horribly. Squee.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Razgovory

Thanks to Malthus's link I found a mew is a collective noun for castrated chickens.  Seems appropriate really.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Jacob

Quote from: Ed Anger on February 10, 2012, 07:20:44 PMLettow fails casting the moon runes, dies horribly. Squee.

3 marks for being poetically apt. 1 for sound effects.

Final mark: 4/10
Grade: F

Ed Anger

I'm going to the dean. My precious child will not have a failing grade!

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Eddie Teach

I'm thinking perhaps a man getting eaten by a tiger?
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Jacob

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on February 10, 2012, 07:42:07 PM

I'm thinking perhaps a man getting eaten by a tiger?

Not a bad guess, but I am looking for something a little more specific  :bowler:

mongers

I can't place it, but I think I've seen the object in RL, it's not a musical box that commemorates the the Indian Mutiny, though that's probably too late as it looks mid 18th century.

Jacob

I expect you probably have seen IRL. You're also in the right geographical area, and you're correct - it's not to commemorate the Indian Mutiny.

mongers

Quote from: Jacob on February 10, 2012, 08:06:17 PM
I expect you probably have seen IRL. You're also in the right geographical area, and you're correct - it's not to commemorate the Indian Mutiny.

Yeah, so you'd give me about a D-   :D

It's a good question as it's such a wel known object, I probably saw it about two years ago.

Admiral Yi

A gift from French colonialists to some Indian ruler?