News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

History Trivia Thread Reducks

Started by Admiral Yi, July 22, 2009, 03:15:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ulmont

Quote from: Alatriste on February 11, 2010, 07:33:48 AM
How did he hide the gold medals in plain sight?   

Dissolve them in aqua regia or similar?

Edit: I see wiki confirms my thought (I must have read that somewhere earlier).

Open floor.

Alatriste

So he did. The Swedish Academics must have been quite surprised when they received the precipitated gold recovered from the acid with the petition to recast the original medals!

Queequeg

Easy.

Immediate successor of the founder of the Sassanian dynasty and famous victor over the Emperor Valerian, Shapur brought order to late-Parthian anarchy and established a more centralized regime, that broke with the Parthian army's traditions and developed Persian infantry and siege weapons.  Also famous for supporting Mani, the Mainchean prophet, is given a favorable mention in the Talmud, and utilized capture Roman Engineers in part of a massive construction project. 
Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

Syt

Quote from: Queequeg on February 11, 2010, 08:09:46 AM
Easy.

Immediate successor of the founder of the Sassanian dynasty and famous victor over the Emperor Valerian, Shapur brought order to late-Parthian anarchy and established a more centralized regime, that broke with the Parthian army's traditions and developed Persian infantry and siege weapons.  Also famous for supporting Mani, the Mainchean prophet, is given a favorable mention in the Talmud, and utilized capture Roman Engineers in part of a massive construction project.

Is this a question?
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

HisMajestyBOB

Quote from: Syt on February 11, 2010, 08:20:18 AM
Quote from: Queequeg on February 11, 2010, 08:09:46 AM
Easy.

Is this a question?

No.

Am I right?
Three lovely Prada points for HoI2 help

Grey Fox

It's a "Name this famous person" question.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Syt

QuoteImmediate successor of the founder of the Sassanian dynasty and famous victor over the Emperor Valerian, Shapur brought order to late-Parthian anarchy

Are we looking for "Shapur"?
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Queequeg

Yes. 

I thought it was obvious enough that "this person" was to be replaced with "Shapur", a la Jeopardy. 
Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

Syt

I'm confused and cede the floor.
—Stephen Jay Gould

frunk

I'm confused and I wasn't even on the floor.

Grey Fox

I'm not confused but I have no good questions to ask.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Solmyr

This person published ideas on free trade, market forces, and relationship between society and economics that closely resembled Adam Smith's ideas in The Wealth of Nations, several years before Adam Smith. Who was it?

Razgovory

Quote from: Queequeg on February 11, 2010, 08:43:31 AM
Yes. 

I thought it was obvious enough that "this person" was to be replaced with "Shapur", a la Jeopardy.

I don't think it was that obvious.  You managed to ask the most confusing question and the easiest at the same time.  With out it actually being a question.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Admiral Yi

Aweseome question Squeelus.  I've got one just for you: Horatio Nelson commanded the British fleet at the battle of Trafalgar.

Habbaku

The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien