And we're back!

Main Menu

History Trivia Thread Reducks

Started by Admiral Yi, July 22, 2009, 03:15:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Alatriste on January 19, 2010, 06:54:54 AM
Mauritius, If I'm not wrong.
Not Jack Aubrey's fault, he wasn't there!

Caliga

Quote from: Alatriste on January 19, 2010, 06:54:54 AM
Mauritius, If I'm not wrong.
You are indeed not wrong.  The Battle of Grand Port, to be specific.  You're up.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Viking

First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Alatriste

An easy one. Galleys stank to heaven, so much it was said that even in the darkest night a galley couldn't approach unnoticed because the nose discovered it where the eyes couldn't.

Most countries usually let the thing stand but the Venetians actually tried to clean their galleys at regular intervals (perhaps because they used more free oarsmen) and they had a very efficient and cheap method. What did they do? 

Admiral Yi

PDH

They sank them to clean them out?
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

Pat

Viking

burned them and replaced the burned bit?
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

HisMajestyBOB

Some sort of system for washing them out with seawater, without sinking the boat?
Three lovely Prada points for HoI2 help

Caliga

Alatriste

Nope, Yi is right. They sank them in shallow waters, if possible where flowing currents would push the filth away.

Admiral Yi

Strix

What was the worst single shipwreck in American history?

For a bonus, what was the worst single shipwreck in history?

Oddly enough they had some very peculiar similarities.
"I always cheer up immensely if an attack is particularly wounding because I think, well, if they attack one personally, it means they have not a single political argument left." - Margaret Thatcher

Caliga

Do you mean in terms of loss of life?

In all of history it was that one at the end of WWII where a Soviet sub sunk a German liner in the Baltic overloaded with refugees and injured soldiers... I think it was called the Wilhelm Gustloff or something.... IIRC 9,000 died.

In the US I'm guessing it was that one right after the end of the civil war where a steamship blew up on the Mississippi near Memphis.  I can't remember the loss of life there, but I think the ship was called USS Sultana.

Strix

Quote from: Caliga on February 03, 2010, 06:14:39 AM
Do you mean in terms of loss of life?

In all of history it was that one at the end of WWII where a Soviet sub sunk a German liner in the Baltic overloaded with refugees and injured soldiers... I think it was called the Wilhelm Gustloff or something.... IIRC 9,000 died.

In the US I'm guessing it was that one right after the end of the civil war where a steamship blew up on the Mississippi near Memphis.  I can't remember the loss of life there, but I think the ship was called USS Sultana.

Correct on all accounts.

The loss of life on the Sultana was a few more than on the Titanic. It was loaded with soldiers and ex-POWs headed home after the war which was similar to the German ship loaded with soldiers and others.
"I always cheer up immensely if an attack is particularly wounding because I think, well, if they attack one personally, it means they have not a single political argument left." - Margaret Thatcher