News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

History Trivia Thread Reducks

Started by Admiral Yi, July 22, 2009, 03:15:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lettow77

I knew about Almagro, even his name. But then, im sort of taking latin american history this semester.. :blush:

(By the way, the class has left me with a very favourable opinion of Argentin)
It can't be helped...We'll have to use 'that'

Valdemar

Quote from: Lettow77 on November 19, 2009, 04:41:12 AM

(By the way, the class has left me with a very favourable opinion of Argentin)

Can you get anymore stereotype? :D

V

Lettow77

Secessionists like Argentina now? Or is it that I mispelled it? Either way, the mold I am conforming to is a mystery to me.

It can't be helped...We'll have to use 'that'

Pat

Easy one:

It is perhaps the oldest noble family in Europe and when Napoleon asked if it was true that they stemmed from a famous person in antiquity, one of it's members is said to have replied "I don't know, but it has been a tradition in the family for thirteen or fourteen hundred years".

What's the name of the family and who does it stem from?

Bonus question: Who did this famous person in antiquity, in turn, stem from, according to legend?

Caliga

Merovingians, from Clovis, who is supposedly a descendant of Jesus and Mary Magdalene.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Pat

Nope, this one is older

(the origin is older than "thirteen or fourteen hundred years")

Valdemar

The Swedes for some reason believed they stemmed from a biblical figure, can't recall which one.

V

Valdemar

Quote from: Lettow77 on November 19, 2009, 05:44:07 AM
Secessionists like Argentina now? Or is it that I mispelled it? Either way, the mold I am conforming to is a mystery to me.

If memory serves me correctly Argentina, with its white ranchowners and later extensive German influence, would be a country very much after the idolised model of the south you seem to prescribe to :)

V

Pat

Quote from: Valdemar on November 19, 2009, 08:02:12 AM
The Swedes for some reason believed they stemmed from a biblical figure, can't recall which one.

V

Well, from Noah ;) Just as the British royal house claims to stem from Odin, I believe. But that's not it.

Alatriste

IIRC some Italian noble family claimed to descend from good ol' Gaius Iulius Caesar himself (and hence, from the goddess Venus) but I can't remember which...

Alexandru H.

Ok, I'm going here with a hunch. The family is Italian and it claims that the founder was an important Roman figure.

Pat

Well yes, it's an Italian family and but it's not Caesar (think of another dictator)

Valdemar

Quote from: miglia on November 19, 2009, 08:05:59 AM

V

Well, from Noah ;) Just as the British royal house claims to stem from Odin, I believe. But that's not it.

:D If you belive the bible we all stem from Noah, or his inlaws... they were the soul survivors :D

The British cannot stem from Odin.... he didn't have any human sons or daughters, only dieities :p

V

Caliga

The Borgia, who claim descent from Tarquinius?
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Pat

Borgias are not the ones I was thinking of (but would be of about the same age if their claim is true)

Quote from: Valdemar on November 19, 2009, 08:11:09 AM
Quote from: miglia on November 19, 2009, 08:05:59 AM

V

:D If you belive the bible we all stem from Noah, or his inlaws... they were the soul survivors :D

Yeah I know. The point was the geneology tracing back to him.