Previous topic - Next topic

Caliga

De Medicis, descent from Alexander?
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Pat

Pat

Hint: The family took it's name after the roman dictator

Pat

I was looking for the Massimo family, stemming from Fabius Maximus, of the Fabii family which, according to Plutarch, stems from a union between Heracles and a nymph.

There seems to be a good chance that their claim of stemming from Fabius Maximus is genuine.

QuoteThe Massimo family also provided two Popes to the Catholic Church, both Saints - Pope Anastasius I (died 401) who denounced the Origenist heresy, and Pope Paschal I (died 824) who stood up to the Frankish kings.[3]

After the Dark Ages the family is recorded again in 1012 in the person of Leo de Maximis.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Massimo

Caliga

Cool, that was a really neat question.... maybe a little too hard tho :P
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Pat

Yeah, sorry, I would have given it to Alatriste or Alexandru but I couldn't decide who had the greater claim. I'll just leave an open floor.

Viking

Quote from: Valdemar on November 19, 2009, 08:11:09 AM
Quote from: miglia on November 19, 2009, 08:05:59 AM
Quote from: Valdemar on November 19, 2009, 08:02:12 AM
The Swedes for some reason believed they stemmed from a biblical figure, can't recall which one.

V

Well, from Noah ;) Just as the British royal house claims to stem from Odin, I believe. But that's not it.

:D If you belive the bible we all stem from Noah, or his inlaws... they were the soul survivors :D

The British cannot stem from Odin.... he didn't have any human sons or daughters, only dieities :p

V

I can trace to Odin. Heimskringla gives the Scandinavian Kings Holy Descent.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

The Brain

Heyerdahl proved that Odin was a human lord.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Viking

Quote from: The Brain on November 19, 2009, 02:04:44 PM
Heyerdahl proved that Odin was a human lord.

Heyerdahl was a crackpot.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Drakken

Seven individuals are known to have formed a syndicate to finance an anti-pirate privateer expedition against the endemic piracy problem in Indian Ocean during King William III's reign. They have been unfortunate to have recruted the infamous privateer William Kidd.

Of these, three were :

a) Richard Coote, 1st Earl of Bellomont, governor of Massachussetts and New York

b) Edmund Harrison, wealthy London merchant and capital-bringer for the former

c) Thomas Livingston, archenemy of notoriously corrupt pirate-friendly New York governor Benjamin Fletcher

The remaining four people were in the deal with the express condition that their participation remained secret, which, for reasons known only to us in hindsight, was soon exposed due to Kidd's "winning ways" with the Royal Navy, the East India Company, and pretty much any English vessel he met on the way to the Indian Ocean. Who were these fellows (I'll accept two names), and why was their participation supposed to secret?

Alexandru H.

And they call my questions cryptic  :lol:

Drakken

Quote from: Alexandru H. on November 19, 2009, 07:28:30 PM
And they call my questions cryptic  :lol:

How is it cryptic?

Of the four remaining, name at least two, plus the reason why they asked their backing to remain confidential in a venture which was supposed to be made in the Name of the King (Kidd had, after all, a formal commission issued with King William's personal signature).

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Alexandru H.

Quote from: garbon on November 19, 2009, 07:44:55 PM
Yeah, bad call, Alex.

By all means, I'm offering you the chance to respond.

There are three completely unknown people placed in that list. To find another four would be quite a feat...  :lmfao:

Ok, I'm going with a stupid response: the king and the prime-minister were involved.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Alexandru H. on November 19, 2009, 08:42:13 PM
By all means, I'm offering you the chance to respond.

There are three completely unknown people placed in that list. To find another four would be quite a feat...  :lmfao:

Ok, I'm going with a stupid response: the king and the prime-minister were involved.
You laughed that no one could get your easy Egyptian question, you laugh now at Drakken's question.  I'm beginning to think your manners are not very good.