News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

History Trivia Thread Reducks

Started by Admiral Yi, July 22, 2009, 03:15:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Agelastus

History really is full of little ironies.

What was the traditional title used by rulers of all Sumer to legitimise their rule?
"Come grow old with me
The Best is yet to be
The last of life for which the first was made."

Admiral Yi

Viking

First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Habbaku

The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Razgovory

Quote from: Agelastus on February 10, 2010, 03:04:41 PM

What was the traditional title used by rulers of all Sumer to legitimise their rule?

Ensi?
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Agelastus

Quote from: Razgovory on February 10, 2010, 03:38:59 PM

Ensi?

No, but kudos to you for giving me the first answer from the right period. :hug:

Viking

No. But you are on the right lines.
"Come grow old with me
The Best is yet to be

Viking

Quote from: Agelastus on February 10, 2010, 04:23:21 PM

Ensi?

No, but kudos to you for giving me the first answer from the right period. :hug:

Viking

King?

King?
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Agelastus

Quote from: Viking on February 10, 2010, 04:27:11 PM
Quote from: Agelastus on February 10, 2010, 04:23:21 PM

Ensi?

Viking

King?

King?

Since I have a headache, and may not be online much longer, the part you had right (assuming you were saying it in English, of course) was "King of.....".
"Come grow old with me
The Best is yet to be

Razgovory

Hmmm.  I only know two titles in Sumeria.  Lugal and Ensi.  Well, there is also En.  I don't know how they all relate to each other.  In fact I don't think there is an agreement on which has precedence over the other.

Is the answer you are looking for "king of Kish"?
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Agelastus

Quote from: Razgovory on February 10, 2010, 05:13:29 PM
Hmmm.  I only know two titles in Sumeria.  Lugal and Ensi.  Well, there is also En.  I don't know how they all relate to each other.  In fact I don't think there is an agreement on which has precedence over the other.

Is the answer you are looking for "king of Kish"?

Lugal, Ensi and En (and Nam-Lugal) for example are all equivalent to our usage of King or President, effectively. "King of Kish" was a title used to claim that their rule over all of Sumeria (hence all the other Lugals or Ensis) was legitimate. It pops up in inscriptions as well as the "Kings list". This is presumed to have come from an early primacy of Kish, or possibly because in some way control of Kish granted title to Nippur, Sumer's "Holy City". It's an interesting example of a title changing meaning while remaining the same.

And indeed, "King of Kish" was what I was looking for. You're up, Raz.
"Come grow old with me
The Best is yet to be

Razgovory

I have no question.  Anyone but viking.

Octavian

Quote from: Agelastus on February 10, 2010, 12:51:24 PM
:hmm:

Anthony Johnson was black?

[Answer based on the, ahem, "interesting" responses so far to this question.]

Not only was he black but he himself was a former slave or rather indentured servant
If you let someone handcuff you, and put a rope around your neck, don't act all surprised if they hang you!

- Eyal Yanilov.

Forget about winning and losing; forget about pride and pain. Let your opponent graze your skin and you smash into his flesh; let him smash into your flesh and you fracture his bones; let him fracture your bones and you take his life. Do not be concerned with escaping safely - lay your life before him.

- Bruce Lee

Alatriste

OK, when the Nazis invaded Denmark several important German scientists exiled there had to flee in a hurry. Two of them, Max Laue and James Franck, left in the Niels Bohr Institute their Nobel Prize gold medals and assumed they had been stolen.

However, one of their fellows scientists foiled the Nazis. He not only managed to make sure they wouldn't find the medals in their searches, but from 1940 to 1945 he always had them on his desk... and nobody noticed!

How did he hide the gold medals in plain sight?