News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

History Trivia Thread Reducks

Started by Admiral Yi, July 22, 2009, 03:15:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Caliga

I like the naval theme and shall continue with it.

What extraordinary feat is the British submarine HMS Venturer noted for, which no other submarine had ever achieved before nor has achieved since?
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Strix

Quote from: The Brain on February 03, 2010, 01:14:11 PM
Sinking an enemy submarine while both submarines were submerged.

I fixed that for you!

"I always cheer up immensely if an attack is particularly wounding because I think, well, if they attack one personally, it means they have not a single political argument left." - Margaret Thatcher

Caliga

Correct.  There is speculation that US-Soviet subs have collided, but the Venturer is the only sub that destroyed an enemy sub with a torpedo while both were submerged.

The Brain

Whatever. I'm shooting from the hip here.

THE LADIES KNOW WHAT I'M TALKING ABOUT

Caliga

Quote from: The Brain on February 03, 2010, 03:58:37 PM
Your guess (while very close) didn't quite cut the mustard because there were other instances during WWII of subs sinking each other when at least one was surfaced.  I think one of the giant Jap sub carriers was sunk by a US submarine, and I believe a Japanese sub actually sunk a US sub on another occasion.

The Brain

Quote from: Caliga on February 03, 2010, 04:03:08 PM
Quote from: The Brain on February 03, 2010, 03:58:37 PM
Your guess (while very close) didn't quite cut the mustard because there were other instances during WWII of subs sinking each other when at least one was surfaced.  I think one of the giant Jap sub carriers was sunk by a US submarine, and I believe a Japanese sub actually sunk a US sub on another occasion.

Why do you want to discuss my failure at length? Is this a Kentucky thing?

Agelastus

Quote from: Caliga on February 03, 2010, 12:35:42 PM
I like the naval theme and shall continue with it.

What extraordinary feat is the British submarine HMS Venturer noted for, which no other submarine had ever achieved before nor has achieved since?

Good Grief, I feel old...I remember asking that question on the old board. :(
"Come grow old with me
The Best is yet to be
The last of life for which the first was made."

Octavian

Slavery was more or less officially established in Virginia in 1654, when land owner Anthony Johnson convinced a court that his black indentured servant John Casor was his for life. The court ruled in Johnson's favor. Johnson eventually became very wealthy and began importing black slaves from Africa.

What makes the above even more interesting?
If you let someone handcuff you, and put a rope around your neck, don't act all surprised if they hang you!

- Eyal Yanilov.

Forget about winning and losing; forget about pride and pain. Let your opponent graze your skin and you smash into his flesh; let him smash into your flesh and you fracture his bones; let him fracture your bones and you take his life. Do not be concerned with escaping safely - lay your life before him.

- Bruce Lee

Grey Fox

Oh I know this one!

It's : irony.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Pedrito

b / h = h / b+h

27 Zoupa Points, redeemable at the nearest liquor store! :woot:

Admiral Yi

Anthony went by the nickname "Magic."

Syt

Quote from: Octavian on February 10, 2010, 09:12:02 AM
Slavery was more or less officially established in Virginia in 1654, when land owner Anthony Johnson convinced a court that his black indentured servant John Casor was his for life. The court ruled in Johnson's favor. Johnson eventually became very wealthy and began importing black slaves from Africa.

What makes the above even more interesting?

He was the first Englishman to own African slaves?
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Agelastus

:hmm:

Anthony Johnson was black?

[Answer based on the, ahem, "interesting" responses so far to this question.]
"Come grow old with me
The Best is yet to be
The last of life for which the first was made."

Oexmelin

Yes, he was black - a good way to show how slavery at first wasn't especially «racialized», but a more transitory status, based on circumstances. It took more or less 30-40 years before being a slave became associated with being black, and before black slave owners were ousted / chased / re-enslaved in Virginia.

Que le grand cric me croque !