News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

History Trivia Thread Reducks

Started by Admiral Yi, July 22, 2009, 03:15:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Caliga

Right after I guessed Cuba I thought "but then again the capital of Puerto Rico is 'San Juan'"  :blush:

Ok, gimme a sec to think of something.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Caliga

Who did Francisco Pizarro defeat at the battle of Las Salinas in 1538?

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Alexandru H.

Caliga

Quote from: Alexandru H. on November 18, 2009, 11:34:47 AM
His brother-in-arms?
I'm really looking for a name here, but I'll give it to you if nobody knows it (it may be a bit obscure unless we have some people here really interested in Spanish colonial history).

Alexandru H.

Quote from: Caliga on November 18, 2009, 11:37:08 AM
Quote from: Alexandru H. on November 18, 2009, 11:34:47 AM
His brother-in-arms?
I'm really looking for a name here, but I'll give it to you if nobody knows it (it may be a bit obscure unless we have some people here really interested in Spanish colonial history).

I can tell his story but I have a bit of a problem with his name at this time. He was the guy that was given the south of Peru, went and conquered the area, then came back and expected to receive all the territory. But the king named Pizarro as the sole governor and he started the war against his ex-brother in arms...

Caliga

Quote from: Alexandru H. on November 18, 2009, 11:38:48 AM
I can tell his story but I have a bit of a problem with his name at this time. He was the guy that was given the south of Peru, went and conquered the area, then came back and expected to receive all the territory. But the king named Pizarro as the sole governor and he started the war against his ex-brother in arms...
I can't remember if that's the exact story but yes, it's the general idea.  Well, I probably need to run off to a lunch meeting in a few minutes, so I'll give it to you.  The guy's name was Almagro btw.

Alexandru H.

Alatriste

Easy one, I think: 1835 was a year of peace for Great Britain. Why were so many Royal Navy crews receiving prize money?

Note 1: Nothing special about 1835, the question could apply to pretty much any year between 1815 and the War of Crimea (and even later, very probably), but I have a list of ship companies paid prize money dating from December 1835.
Note 2: there were actually two reasons... I will accept any of them as correct.

Admiral Yi

Alatriste

Quote from: Admiral Yi on November 19, 2009, 02:32:04 AM
Captured slavers!

Correct, that's one reason. But the other affected far more RN ships (and it's a lot funnier too) 

HisMajestyBOB

The crews were scamming whoever pays out the money?
Three lovely Prada points for HoI2 help

Admiral Yi

It took that long for the courts to pay money due from 1815?

Alatriste

Quote from: Admiral Yi on November 19, 2009, 03:45:32 AM
It took that long for the courts to pay money due from 1815?

Yes.

http://www.pbenyon.plus.com/Navy_List_1835/Prize_Money_1835.html

1815? The crews of HMS Caledonia and HMS Ruby received in 1835 the prize money for the capture of the french ship Amaranthe in 1808. 27 years before!

Perhaps even funnier is that the prize money awarded for the capture of a ship named Chesapeake in 1814 (not the frigate USS Chesapeake), also paid in 1835, was divided between the crews of 34 british ships.   

Admiral Yi